2/10/11

Quilt Shop: Quilt Basket

The second shop I visited in Tucson was the Quilt Basket.  This shop was located in a shopping center with a wild bird shop and an art gallery, and so it was in good company for a browsing fest.  (I love wild bird shops almost as much as I like quilt shops.  So many cool things to see and touch.)  I liked this shop a lot.

It's a Bernina authorized dealer, and so they had parts for my sewing machine--always a plus for me.  The shop was inviting from the outset and pleasant to wander around in.


My one criticism of this shop is that most of the fabric was stacked horizontally on shelves.  This made it difficult to pull out individual bolts for a better look because the stacks were heavy!  In fairness, they had received a large shipment of fabric, and they were trying to make room for it all.  I have a feeling, though, that the fabric is stacked like this all of the time.  I generally prefer the bolts be standing on end like books.  However, that didn't stop me from gaining access to this:


It just caught my eye.  I love poppies anyway, and so I purchased a couple of yards.  As I was getting ready to pay, I spied a basket of patterns marked 50% off.  I picked up this one because I thought it was cute.


You can look for it in my April 1st Giveaway! when Fun Fact Friday Freebie returns.  They had a darling quilt on display at the front door, but I was disappointed that they were all out of the pattern.  Nevertheless, I found it on Amazon and ordered it when we got back to the trailer.  This picture isn't very representative of how cute it was, so you'll have to take my word for it.


Each block was different, and it was very bright--great for using up scraps.  I love those bright colors and whimsical designs.

So I liked this quilt shop very much.  The service was attentive without being hovering.  I had no wait at all to have my fabric cut or to check out.  I gave them a demerit for stacking their fabric, but they had so much of it that it's hard to feel very critical.  Also, I'm always disappointed when a quilt so prominently and enticingly displayed is not available.  Nevertheless, it was a nice shop with a nice big classroom and a pleasant space to browse.  It's definitely a place I can recommend and one that I would return to.  I give them four rotary cutters out of five.

1 comment:

Mommarock said...

Something that says let it Snow.. doesn't go over to well right now.. BRRRRR but in April, yippee!!