1/8/11

Traveling Gourmet--Cottage Pies

I told you I would share some of the stuff I cook on this trip.  I usually make some foods ahead when we're just starting out so that neither of us has to cook for the first few days on the road.  One of our favorite cook ahead recipes is Cottage Pies.  This is my take on a recipe I got from our local Oregonian newspaper FoodDay several years ago.  I make it every time I have leftover mashed potatoes because the topping is made from mashed potatoes.  If you don't happen to have any, you can always use instant mashed potatoes or you could use refrigerator pie crusts.  I like to make these in the 8-inch (app.) ramekins though because they have plastic tops.  I can make and bake them in the same dish, and with the plastic top on the ramekin, I can freeze them in the same dish as well.  These were made ahead and frozen. 

Cottage Pies

3 tablespoons olive oil -- divided
1 cup carrot -- coarsely chopped (1/2-inch)
1 cup celery -- coarsely chopped (1/2-inch)
1 cup onion -- coarsely chopped (1/2-inch)
1 teaspoon garlic -- chopped
2 cups brown (cremini) or white mushrooms (about 4 oz) -- sliced
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
3 tablespoons tomato paste
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup beef broth, chicken broth or water
Salt and pepper

Topping
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley or chives
4 1/2 cups mashed potatoes

To make filling:

In large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat until hot. Season with salt and pepper. Add carrot, celery and onion; cook until tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Remove from skillet.

In same skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil.  Add mushrooms; cook and stir until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet. Add ground beef to skillet; brown until no longer pink, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up beef. Pour off drippings. Return vegetables to skillet. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir in tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and flour. Add broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon evenly into oven-proof dishes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

To make topping:

Stir chopped parsley (or chives) into mashed potatoes. Spread potatoes evenly over beef mixture, covering filling completely. Bake until filling is bubbly and topping begins to brown, about 30 minutes.

You can make these ahead and refrigerate them to bake later, or freeze for another day.  This is one of Mike's favorite dinners.  You can eat it alone since it has meat, vegies, and starch--a one-dish meal.  I usually add a salad or some bread.

2 comments:

Mommarock said...

LOVE the title Traveling Gourmet!!
The recipe sounds delicious as well, and this from a VERY picky eater.
Well I'm chubby cuz I like junk food, but other than that.. I'm a picky eater LOL.

Nita said...

Followed your link to this recipe. I used to make something very similar, but called it Shepherd's Pie. Haven't made it in years. Thanks for the reminder of a yummy comfort-food style supper, and the recipe!