1/8/11

Bakersfield, California

We drove on to Bakersfield yesterday.  When we looked at the map, it seemed Fresno was too short of a day, and that the next day to Death Valley would be too long.  We want to arrive in Death Valley before the sun goes down because it is DARK there after sunset.  In any case, after arriving in Bakersfield, we decided to stay put for a day or two.  For one thing, they have a hot tub at the park where we are staying.  Anyone who has snowbirded with us in the past knows that we love a good hot tub.  This one isn't particularly comfortable to sit in because of the "lip" constructed around the edge to keep the water in the tub.  One can't lean back against it, and it isn't comfortable to lean one's head against either.  The best way I found was to be on my knees in the bottom of the tub.  Still, the water was warm, and it felt good on our bones and joints.

This is the forecast for our neck of the woods today (and by that I mean home, in Oregon):



If you don't know what that means, it's a forecast for freezing rain and ice!  Glad we're not there to see it.  There isn't much to say about yesterday's trip.  We saw a lot of this:



Lovely, eh?  That's Kern County for you.  There are lots of grain processing plants and stock yards.  Also, I think we saw quite a few methane processing plants.  With all the stock yards around, it seems methane would be a great way to generate power.  This also happens to be the area where Mike was born--in Taft, California, which is just up the road.  He hasn't been to Taft since he was two.  Every time we're in this area we threaten to go, but so far, we haven't.  Maybe today, huh?

We've driven about six hours per day for three days.  Yesterday, the road was rough.  Things were all shaken up in the RV.  We're a little road weary, and so it'll be good to just sit tight for a day or two.  We're planning on an extra day here for now, but we will probably end up staying two.  The sky is heavily overcast, and it's not particularly warm.  But the park is nice and quiet (no trains going by, which is usually the case), and so we can get some laundry and shopping done while we're here.  AND, there are at least four quilt shops in town, according to my directory.  We need to buy some groceries, and I'm doing three loads of wash.  We still want to pick up a little space heater at a Target somewhere, and I'd like to spend my $12 in rewards at a Staples store if we can find one.  We'd like to find a magnetic pen that will stick to the hood of our little stove.  I collect refrigerator magnets along the way, and we keep our shopping list stuck up there with magnets.  If we had a magnetic pen to go along with it, we would be so totally cool, don't you think?  BTW, the refrigerator magnets don't stick to the refrigerator because it has wood paneling on it.  Darn.  And so they get stuck to the stove hood.

So with that bit of fascinating travel news complete, I'll stop for a while.  I'm hoping to write again later today and tell you about the quilt shops I visit.

4 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Hey, fascinating is in the eye of the reader, no? I am enjoying your narrative. Bakersfield and I have had only one interaction, interesting and not the tale for here. Four quilt shops tho--stick around til they reopen Monday or do they do weekends? I guess most places have Sunday and Sat hours now don’t they.

Happy Resting and hot tubbing. I look forward to pictures of Death Valley. We went once a few years ago-long drive, but we were in our compact car, not a snazzy motor ho9me like you have. Good times ahead !~!

AnnieO said...

My mom was born in Taft, too (her dad was in the oil business), my dad in Bakersfield, and they lived both lived in B town until after my two older brothers were born. I've seen that scenery many times :) Loved your recipe, will have to try that...not that there are ever any leftover mashed potatoes around here, LOL!

Kathy said...

We're traveling too. We are on the 101 though and will be cutting over to I5 tomorrow and heading down to Nevada to visit my brother. Found a great quilt store in Buellton today but I made the mistake of taking my hubby with me. Ugh!! He begged me to buy and pattern and the fabric to make a quilt for our dog. After picking out all the fabric and such I didn't feel like looking around any more. Next time I'll go alone. :) Gotta luv a man who like you to spend money though!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Unfortunately, as I'm sure you have already found out, we don't have a Staples here :( And as far as Taft, I would pass on a visit there. I hope you enjoyed your stay in my hum-drum town. It was plenty cold here today for me.