8/5/26

Lots of Lemur Time

Good morning, my friends. Well...the best laid plans, you know. When we decided to take our boat out, it was a beautiful day with sunshine and blue sky. Yesterday...not so much. It was terribly smoky in our world. I read in our local newspaper that Portland was in the world's top 10 for worst air quality. It's a dubious distinction to be sure. Here's a picture that accompanied the article. Yikes. 

And we could see smoke in the air where we were. So, we decided to stay in with the A/C turned on for filtering. It was a warm day too, and so the A/C had a dual purpose. Mike had a yen to eat out last night. When we arrived home, we were walking in the door when our A/C shut off abruptly, and it made a weird sound. Walking into the house, we realized the power had just gone off. Mike hooked up a generator that allowed us to watch TV. We watched one show, and then decided to just go to bed, hopeful the outage wouldn’t last too long. Before we were ready to go to sleep, the power came back on. Yay!

No worries about the smoky air and canceled boat outing. It just gave me more time to work on the lemurs. Before I did anything in the sewing room, I paid my usual morning visit to the garden. There, I was delighted to see the teeniest tiniest green beans I've ever seen. Hopefully, nothing else will get in the way of a good green bean harvest this year.


There were two new sunflowers. I marked all the sunflowers when I planted them with wide popcicle sticks. I tried checking one the other day. It had rotted off at ground level and the label had faded. Oh well. I tried to keep track of them, but it hardly matters. I like them no matter what they’re called.




It seemed a good time to have them line up for a group photo. 


Corn is appearing now too. There were quite a few plants with corn silk showing.


There’s a new color of zinnia. When I planted these, I was using a mix of seeds. I planted several seeds in each little pot, and then didn’t separate them when I transplanted them into the garden. Now I have clusters of zinnias, and any color might pop up.




There was another newbie in the bee garden. This one is godetia.


My phone tells me this one is called “Whitetop.”


I’m seeing more of these little corn poppies.


Okay, back inside, there’s nothing more I can do with the Kittens quilt until I’ve cleaned up my Lemurs mess. Lemurs…such messy creatures. They’re getting all my attention for the time being. Setting a timer, I spent another hour on the them. That took me to lunch time, and I had them this far.


After lunch, I had a nap, and then did my one housekeeping chore. After that, I decided to spend the rest of the day with the lemurs. Heading into the sewing room, I disturbed Sadie’s nap.


I spent another hour and a half on the lemurs. When I left the for the day, I had them this far.


I’m working from the bottom of the piece upward now. The third face will probably be the last thing I do on this. Once again, here’s the original photo for comparison. 


Today will look a lot like yesterday. We’re still enjoying our granola cups for breakfast, and so I’ll bake some more of those. I have in mind to hoe the garden, but only if the air isn’t too bad. Supposedly, an N-95 mask like we used during the pandemic will protect me from inhaling the worst particulate matter. Mainly, I just need to get out and have a look. If it can go another day or two, then it will. And if the air is too smoky, it’ll have to. 

Since those are the only things on the day’s list of to-do’s. I’ll have plenty of time to spend with the lemurs again. It would surprise me if I could finish this today. Possibly tomorrow, but I doubt that too. I’d like to finish up this part of the process just so I can clean up the sewing room. When I can clean up, I’ll be able to sew the binding on the Kittens. Even when the lemurs are finished, I’m still going to have to figure out a background. After that, there will be a lot of thread work. So, you can see this project still has a long way to go. 

All right. Granola cups are next on the agenda, and then I’ll have a look at the garden. To hoe or not to hoe? That is the question. 



2 comments:

Pamela Dempsey said...

What cute little green beans! I bought some but didn’t get them planted. I also just got some green stalks during their sale and want to plant some fall garden plants. Our heat is taking a toll on the plants and I think they are going out on me. I got a lot of cherry tomatoes and some nice Cherokee purples so am thankful for that! I bought some lettuce seeds I want to try, I miss having a good salad lately! I’ve moved my pots of mint, catnip and lemon balm under the patio roof and they are looking so much better.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm sure the lemur project does create a bit of a mess, but a fun one. Good thing Sadie is there to help. Those smoky skies look familiar. Glad you are staying in while that is hanging around.