8/25/26

Home Stretch

Good morning, my friends. It was kind of a slow day yesterday. There were a few things on my to-do list, but not a lot of sewing. I'd been out to water the flowers and harvest more vegetables. When I came back inside the house, I looked out to see a covey of about 20 quail run across the field. They ran past the bird feeders and to the far side of the garden. I have an idea they're attracted to the seeds falling from the sunflowers. This isn't a very good picture, and I missed capturing the many that I saw. I caught this one straggler just at the last minute. I love their little top knots. I believe this is a Gambel's Quail.


When I moved into the sewing room, I found Sadie napping on the quilt I’d left lying on the table. Excellent napability, I’m told. Purrfection.


She didn’t much want to give up her napping spot, but I convinced her to allow me to sew on the binding.


Back upstairs, I sat and clipped it for stitching, and then stitched far enough to turn the first corner. Sometimes just sitting and stitching is so relaxing and soul-soothing. It was a good day for that.


When I’d stitched for as long as I wanted to, I folded it up and draped it over Smitty’s favorite chair. He’ll keep it safe for me. Instantly, he went into attack cat mode, as you can plainly see. Yes. He’s fierce. People come up to him…big strong men with tears in their eyes…and they say “sir, sir, how do you maintain your level of fierceness?” It’s a talent. He has it.


That’s all I can say about that. It was a slow day. 

Today will be a little busier. Enough cucumbers have accumulated, I need to make another batch of pickles. They don’t take too long, but it’s still a bit of a process. I’m trying another new recipe tonight for Cheesy Bacon Zucchini Boats. I’ll tell you about it tomorrow if it’s any good. As I wrote those words, I wondered why I continue to torture myself with this desire to use all the zucchini. I keep telling myself to stop harvesting it. But then, I go into the garden and it looks so green, and shiny, and sleek. To leave it behind feels like abandoning a child or something. So there’s that. But also, I think I enjoy the challenge. It makes cooking more interesting.

So, okay. With that, I’ll leave you to your day. Make it an interesting one, okay?

2 comments:

Kristin said...

We have cut up zucchini and used it as the base of little pizzas. Cutting on an angle gives a bit more surface, or you could use the boat shape and dress that with your favorite pizza toppings. Lightly saute the zucchini first, then put on a baking sheet (probably on parchment paper) and everyone can dress their own pizza!

Anonymous said...

Have you tried zucchini pickles?