Good morning, my friends. It was a busy day from start to finish yesterday. It got so late in the day, I barely did anything in the sewing room. Oh well. Plenty of other things were accomplished. There’s still a lot to do today, but it’ll be less hectic than yesterday.
Before we needed to take off for the grocery store, I was able to stitch Tiny Treasure #66. This one has stem stitch, straight stitch, and satin stitch.
Here’s the second Bumble Rumble dahlia. Remember how I mentioned the first one seemed a little beaten up? All of its petals fell off, and just the yellow center was left. I’ve never seen it do that before, and I don’t have a clue why it behaved so weirdly this year.
I noticed a fat slug on the Firefighter dahlia to its right. I’ve been treating it with insecticidal soap because it appeared bug chewed. Seeing the slug made me decide to change strategies. Now I’ve liberally peppered the area with slug bait. Maybe now that I’ve discovered the real culprit, we might see some flowers from it.
Checking the greenhouse, I decided to harvest the first tomato. There are several more that I’ll probably harvest before we leave tomorrow.
It was mid-afternoon before I was able to get going on the pickled beets. Fortunately, the most time-consuming part of the job was done. It probably took longer to boil my kettle of water for processing than it did to pack the jars. When all was said and done, I had five pints.
In any case, I decided it wasn’t a good take-along project. We’ll be doing some sight-seeing on the Oregon coast the next couple of days, and I doubt I’ll have a lot of time for sewing. Still, I decided to trace the 11th block for the Snowmen & Reindeer project. It’ll be my only take-along project this trip. It’s a short trip, and this should keep me busy.
Here are the blocks I have for this project so far.
Okay, so there’s still a lot to do today. I’m baking cookies and hand pies, and I’m packing food. We’re responsible for dinner on Thursday evening. We’re going to grill some steaks, and I’ll want to make up the marinade we like ahead of time. That’ll be added to the day’s agenda. The green beans will get another check-in, and I’ll give the zucchini a once over to decide if I need to harvest anything there. For sure, I’ll be harvesting zucchini tomorrow morning before we leave. It’s a short trip, but you know how sneaky zucchini can be. You can’t leave it alone for a second or it’ll grow to the size of a baseball bat.
Honestly, all I wanted to do after that was sit and put my feet up. I was a few days behind on my crossword puzzles, and so I did those. It was nearing 4:00 by the time I made it into the sewing room. My goal was to at least get a start on the binding. I’d forgotten this, but the book fabric is an extra-wide one…60 inches wide.
Even with that extra width, I needed five binding strips. So, I cut those, and then decided not to start sewing them together until today. And who knows if I’ll even feel like it today. Nothing can happen on the binding until I square up the quilt, and that sounds like a lot of effort at the moment. Maybe I’ll find more energy toward the end of the day.
So, after yesterday’s effort, today’s sounds small in comparison. Probably I’ll get that quilt binding sewn on today. It’s still my top sewing priority. But nothing can get done until I get up out of this chair. And with that…off I go. Enjoy your day, Everyone! It’s supposed to be hot here today and tomorrow. If you’re in the heat too, we can sweat it out together.











2 comments:
That gorgeous dahlia just took my breath away! So pretty! Your pickled beets look like jewels in the jars.
Gorgeous blooms! I love pie anything so those blueberry handpies sound scrumptious!
Our baby bluebirds flew the nest this morning after I did the watering, birdseed and worms. The last one left about an hour later and we saw that one. Flew out pretty as you please. No one is in the grass so that’s good. Darrell wants to mow but needs to wait for a few days so not to scare them. It’s also going to be dreadfully hot the next couple of days, 102 not even counting the heat index. Lord help us.
Post a Comment