Good morning, my friends. It was a mixed bag of a day. Some things went as expected, and others...not so much. It was time to fill the bird feeders. In summer, that seems to be my most important job. While I was out, I marveled at the flowers on the purple hydrangea.
After we walk, I'll be taking some quilts for donation to the Ronald McDonald House. If you're unfamiliar with the mission of the Ronald McDonald network of houses, they provide housing for families whose children are undergoing medical treatment at local hospitals. I'm not sure how far their network reaches. Here, in Portland, there are two homes (affiliated with our two children's hospitals), but I believe there are others nationwide. I was happy to learn they'll take donation quilts, and I'm glad to be able to pass some of mine along.
Okay, so let's just talk about this cake, shall we? For one thing, I was calling it a "Dandelion cake" in yesterday's post. It's actually a "Daffodil cake." It was a way to use up the remaining egg whites I'd collected over the past several months. It all whipped up beautifully. When I took it from the oven, it appeared ready. As the recipe suggested, I touched it lightly on top and it sprang back. So, okay. I inverted it onto some coffee cups to cool. Then, I got involved with the laundry. When I returned to the kitchen about 15 minutes later, this is what I saw:
Oy...sometimes the "Martha" is with you, and sometimes it isn't. It had broken into two pieces and fallen out of the pan. In retrospect, I believe it was underbaked. Oh well.
There may not be time for sewing today, but when I can get back to it, I’ll switch out my thread to this King Tut variegated thread…
And that pretty well took me to the end of my day. Three blocks down, two to go. The next two will have a purple and a pink diagonal, respectively. When all the blocks are made, I’ll sew them to the rest of the quilt, and I’ll have myself a finished quilt top.
Desperate times call for desperate measures. I carefully removed it from the pan and stuck the two pieces together on a cake plate.
We each had a piece for dessert, and it was actually downright tasty. Mike said it was similar to the “Sunshine cake” his grandmother made for him when he was growing up.
If you’re like me, you’ve probably only made angelfood cake from a box. (And the boxed versions are just fine…no reason not to use them.) When they’re made from scratch, my understanding is that they’re made with egg whites, sugar, cake flour, and cream of tartar. This one also used one egg yolk for every two egg whites, which made it a little more dense than a regular angelfood cake. Mike said it was that extra density that made it more like a Sunshine cake.
So, okay, despite the problems I had with it, I’d like to try this again. And nobody died in the process, so I’m calling it a rousing success all around. Next time, I’ll allow it to bake longer and watch for a darker brown top with cracks. Mine was nicely browned, but there were no cracks. It sprang back when I touched it lightly, but I’m still thinking underbaking was my problem. I’ll try it again sometime when I’m trying to get rid of more egg whites.
Okay, so I shrugged off my disappointment over the cake and went to work on the quilting. All nine pieced blocks are quilted now.
And go to work on the borders and sashings. I know the motif I want to do, but I need to figure out what direction (literally) to take it. Probably, I’ll spend at least two more days on this before it’s ready for binding.
Okay, and then it was time to get back to the Stair Steps project. Sadie visited briefly. When she saw what I was working on, she claimed she had an appointment for a pawdicure and needed to rush off. Hmph. I’ll bet if I look at her calendar, I’ll find she was free to help all along. Cats. What’re ya gonna do?
Well. Despite no help whatsoever from kitties, I manage to get two more blocks done. This one has a pink diagonal line.
This one had a yellow diagonal. (It’s kind of hard to see the yellow in this photo. You’ll have to take my word for it.)
My day will be enjoyable but busy…busy mainly because I hate getting into traffic. There’s no reason to think traffic will be bad, but I’m getting to a place where I hate traffic so much that it seems bad if there’s even one other car on the road. And since I’ll be traveling north on Interstate 5, it’s going to be hard to avoid other cars…on the road…the same road I’m on…getting in my way…bothering me…the nerve of some people. Nevertheless, a walk with my kiddo is going to be a great way to spend the day. We’ll probably get lunch, and then I’ll drop off my donation quilts before I head for home.
Days like today can be tiring, and so I have a feeling I won’t be doing any sewing today. No doubt I’ll have some pictures to show you for tomorrow’s post. The weekend approaches, and the 250th anniversary of our country. We have no plans for the Fourth. Do you?









8 comments:
Enjoy the time spent with your son exploring the city.
Rochester, NY, the closest city to me (about 25 miles north) is home to Golisano Children's Hospital, part of Strong Memorial Hospital. There is a Ronald McDonald House associated with it. The Children's Hospital is the only pediatric hospital serving 17 counties in the Finger Lakes Region with many specialized services. My daughter used to volunteer at the Ronald McDonald House.
Good thing you get to rescue the cherries before the birds eat them all.
Pat
Glad the cake was edible despite it's issues. Hope the traffic flow goes well without too much stress. Enjoy your time with Matthew!
I used to make a daffodil cake when I was a kid, I'd forgotten all about it. In my mom's cookbook it was classified as a chiffon cake and not an angel food cake, although they were made in a similar fashion. I'll have to see if the recipe is in my Betty Crocker Cookbook, I think that's where it came from, although mine is from 1983 and hers was from the late 50s!
It sounds like the Daffodil cake was close to Mike’s Sunshine cake memory. That’s good! My mother and grandmother used to make angel food cakes from scratch, but I never did, even though it was my husband’s favorite kind of cake. I always used a boxed mix.
Have a good walk and visit with Matthew today.
I don’t have any plans for the Fourth of July. It won’t be the same joyful day as the 200th in 1976, having been co-opted for personal aggrandizement. Dot in NC
Back in the old days my mom used to make angel food cake all the time from scratch. If I remember correctly, I don't think you need to invert the pan on those higher coffee cups. She used to invert the cake pan onto her cake plate and set it on those little legs that are built into the pan. I think she probably ran a long thin metal spatula around the inside of the pan before flipping it over. If it plops out while on those little legs it doesn't have far to go. I've never made angel food cake myself - not even with a box mix. Guess I got my fill as a kid. Susan McG
Success! Nice job!!! Hope your walk was easy and pleasant. The hydrangea is spectacular ...Ours flourished this year, finally. Surprisingly so, after our hard hard winter freezes. Plan for the 4th, cook the ribs from Sam's Club, maybe some beans and see about finishing up a flamingo panel for a lady. And stay out of everybody's way, off the roads!!!
Sorry about the cake, but you are right to take it as a success. Especially if Mike really liked it. Hope you had a good walk with Matthew.
Post a Comment