9/1/24

Summer Winds Down

Good morning, my friends. Can you believe we're into September? The year is seeming to fly by at this end. Having been away from home for almost all of spring, I feel as if I skipped over something. I'm very happy to be starting the month of September with a finished quilt. We can head off on our trip with my sewing projects paused at a good place.

The New Mexico Kitchen quilt is a finish now. I started this quilt back in March of 2020, and so it's been a good 4-1/2 years in the making. First thing yesterday, I turned the fourth and final corner on the binding.


It wasn't long then until I had a finished quilt. Ta-Da! It ends up at 52 x 66 inches.


Here's how it looks from the back. I really like that pepper fabric.


So it's time to get packing...for real. I did a little bit yesterday, but I'll need to do a lot more today. A few more clothes are required, but mainly, I'm packing food now. I'm taking two embroidery projects with me. The Phenology piece I'm working on is going to hang out at home while we're gone. I've left it with strict instructions that there be no partying while we're away.

And this seems like a good time to choose a project for September's


My goal for September will be to finish the 12th and final Kittens block. 


If I can finish that one before we're back home again, I have another block for Grandpa's Bridges prepared for stitching. 


And that should be enough to keep me busy.

Okay, so we need to make a quick trip to the grocery store this morning, and then we'll get on with our packing. I'm going to sign off here until we get on our way. We'll be spending our first night at our usual spot in La Grande, Oregon, before moving on to Idaho's Bruneau Dunes State Park the next day. If we get to La Grande early enough, I might sneak in a blog post on Tuesday afternoon. More likely, it will be Wednesday morning. For now, I'm signing off. It's going to be a fun trip. I hope you'll come along.

14 comments:

Barbara said...

Being the first to cross the finish line makes you a winner in only one phase of life. It's what you do after you cross the line that really counts. ~ Ralph Boston

dgs said...

Congratulations on your finish of New Mexico Kitchen Quilt. I remember when you bought the beautiful fabric and have enjoyed all the updates as you have made progress. Beautiful, yummy and fun. Speaking of fun, have fun on your Fall Adventure. I'm looking forward to hearing about it, especially what you find in the Utah area. Definitely sounds like a road trip we need to go on. Be safe, have fun.

Anonymous said...

I am ready to tag along! Here we go! Cannot to see where you take us!!
Safe travels the whole time!!
Sandra B
scb23229@yahoo.com

Julierose said...

WOW--you really did a super job on the New Mexico quilt, Barbara;)) Beautiful applique and quilting and color choices--what a winner!!
Hope your new trip will be relaxing and fun...hugs, Julierose

abelian said...

I’m all ready to come along on your trip! My iPad is charged and my computer glasses are freshly cleaned. Have a wonderful time. Dot in NC

NancyA said...

Love that quilt and have enjoyed your descriptions of your choices, etc. as you moved it forward. I, too, am looking forward to ‘our’ trip. You always make me feel as though I was along for the ride. Hope the smoke won’t be too bad at Bruneau Dunes; all depends on which way the wind blows. Have a great trip!

Pam Dempsey said...

Mmmm, those chocolate chunk oatmeal cookies 🍪 look so good! I hope you guys enjoy your trip!😻

Anne-Marie said...

That's a fun finish! Safe travels and happy stitching.

Cherie Moore said...

Have a safe and wonderful trip. Looking forward to seeing some “toad” pictures ;-)

crazy quilter said...

Safe travels!

Anonymous said...

I am packed and ready to go. I love my trips on the back bumper with you and the Resident Engineer. Mellow (woof-woof) and I will have to jump off the last week because we will be going to the beach for a week, But thanks to the blog we will be able to keep up with you
Dorothy in W WA (idahodashkcatcenturylinkdotnet)

Kate said...

The Mexican Kitchen quilt turned out beautifully! Congrats on getting it to the finished line before you left for your trip. Good luck with the final preparations. Safe travels.

Vicki W said...

New Mexico Kitchen is sooooo cute!

piecefulwendy said...

Safe travels!