5/22/24

Garden of the Gods

Good morning, my friends. We visited Garden of the Gods yesterday, which was our whole reason for visiting Colorado Springs this time around. When we left the RV, we left Smitty in his catio. But where is Sadie?


If you have sharp eyes, you might notice the lump in that quilt. There she is.


Everyone seemed in fine fettle, and so we headed north about 11 miles to the park. We could see the red rocks on our approach from the highway.


It was a little confusing figuring out how to get to the visitor center because of some road construction all around the area, but eventually we found the driveway.


We didn't spend a lot of time in the visitor center, but I was able to pick up a shot glass and a refrigerator magnet. Also, I stood on a patio of sorts and captured this image. The mountain in the background is Pike's Peak. Interestingly, as we listened to the weather forecast yesterday, we learned how Pike's Peak is responsible for the weather patterns in this area. Indeed, Pike's Peak might be the culprit in a lot of the weather that crosses the Great Plains states. You can learn more about it right here.


Looking at the plaque where I was standing, I learned Garden of the Gods has been designated as a registered natural landmark.


Inside, I captured this topographical map. It's a relatively small area.


We took the loop drive, and pulled off at the first parking area. We've seen lots of these magpies since arriving in Colorado. I captured this guy in the parking lot. I tried for some with a prettier background, but they always flew away before I could get my shot. This one will have to do.


From the parking area, we could see this big wall of red rock. It was too wide to capture in anything but a panorama, and so I used my phone for this next image.


We took this walking trail. It was paved, but otherwise unnamed. What a buzz kill, though. And if you're smoking, please put out your cigarette now.


Also, let's just take note of the many ways you could die out here today.


Please note the line I've underscored in red below. Today. It could happen today. You might want to strap on a helmet. A suit of armor wouldn't be considered overkill.


So we began our walk here. As we stood here, a bride and groom came walking down the path toward us with two photographers in tow. "Did you guys get married?" we asked. "Yes!" was the response. "Congratulations!" we yelled back. What a pretty spot for a wedding, and those kinds of things always bring tears to my eyes. Maybe I'm feeling nostalgic because Mike and I will celebrate 49 years on Friday.


Looking up, there was a tiny arch at the top of the wall.


Along our way, we saw these very tame mule deer. I almost think I could have coaxed them over to me if I'd had some Fig Newtons. (Mike learned that deer really love Fig Newtons while on a rafting trip down the Rogue River one year.)


Here's some information about other wildlife you might see. We saw hundreds of the white-throated swifts swooping around the face of the large red rock wall. No doubt they have nests among the rock crevices.


Okay, now if you were planning on doing some climbing, know this:


Also, if you can't run with the big dogs, please stay on the porch.


On the other hand, if you have all your ropes, petons, and permits, you can probably join in with these folks. (Not this traveler.)


Turning directly around from where the climbers were, we spotted this plaque set into the rock.


And this explains why it's free to visit this park. Nice.


Our shadow selves came along with us for this walk. The sun was shining, and that's the only time you'll see these too fair weather tourists.


Walking on, we simply marveled at the size of things.



Way up high on one of the walls, I spotted this sign. All I can read is that there is a seasonal wildlife closure. We imagine it's for birds nesting nearby.


Here's some more information about the formations that follow.





Up high, we spotted a family of pigeons.


Here are some big boulders balanced precariously at the top. Make sure your helmets are buckled on tightly.



This was where I learned that we were looking at Pike's Peak. I knew it was around, but there are other mountains here.


Looking up from that sign, this is what I saw.


Here are some brave souls who have reached the summit.


Walking on...


We were headed back toward our truck when I spotted these. My phone tells me this is Cherry Laurel.


Here's a closer look at one of the flowers.



And that was the end of our visit to Garden of the Gods. From there, Mike wanted to get some diesel fuel for today's drive north. Also, we visited this "food court" sort of place I read about in this article from the New York Times giving us a guide for spending "36 Hours in Colorado Springs." I'm always on the hunt for beer t-shirts for Erik and this place had a brewery as one of its offerings. Ivywild School is a food hall with a variety of counters, a bar, a distillery and a brewery, all within a former elementary school built in 1916. You can read more about it at that link I've given you.


It's a very large building, and I couldn't capture the whole thing in one image.


Stepping inside, the brewery was to the right. That wood floor creaks loudly when you walk across it. Nobody is going to sneak up on anyone.


Mike ordered a beer, and I had a blackberry seltzer. We also ordered lunch, and ate it in this room. It was very casual, and a good lunch.


And then, we headed back to the RV. We'd avoided rain right up until we got into the truck to go. We made a quick stop at a nearby grocery store (it is ever thus), and then made our way back to the state park. We had our afternoon cup of espresso and then we all took naps...even Smitty and Sadie. Kitties are always happy to take naps.

For dinner, we had the last of the leftovers I brought from home. All I needed to do was make some mashed potatoes. It seemed like a good day for baking. I like to buy loaves of brioche for French toast. Those loaves are kind of expensive, and so I saved the heels from the current loaf we're working on to make these Chocolate Chip Bread Puddings for Two. The original recipe used milk, but I had a little leftover cream I wanted to use up. It made for a very decadent little dessert. 


So we'll be heading north today to another of Colorado's state parks in Centennial, Colorado. We'll be meeting up with my friend from high school, Carol and her husband. I've never met her husband, and I don't think she's ever met mine. I graduated high school in June of 1972. Carol was a year behind me, and we've not seen one another since then. We sat next to one another in the band. Carol played B-flat clarinet, and I played alto clarinet. There's a lot to dislike about social media, but I love that it put me back in touch with some dear friends from the distant past. 

We can't check in at the next spot until 1:00 p.m., and it's a drive of around 80 miles. We'll hang out here for a while this morning. It will give me some time to work on my slow-stitching, and I've neglected it for the past several days. Our trip is coming to a close. We have just a couple of sight-seeing spots left on our itinerary, but the next week or so will be mainly us marching toward home. We're both ready to be there, and I know the kitties will be happy to get outside together and round up some critters. No doubt the squirrels are running roughshod. The thought of the weeds we'll find there is a little daunting, but one day at a time, right?

Okay...breakfast and slow-stitching. That's where I'm heading next.

9 comments:

Barbara said...

In the Spring, I have counted 136 different kinds of weather inside of 24 hours. ~ Mark Twain

Sara said...

Wonderful photos! And that bread pudding looks delicious!

I graduated HS in May 1972 in Minnesota. And like you, social media has been a terrific way to keep in touch with old friends and relatives. At our 50 year class reunion 2 summers ago, it was really great to reconnect with a couple of classmates that I hadn't seen since 1972.

MissPat said...

Following up your response to my comment yesterday, the Visitor's Center was there when we visited, although a I don't recall the paved walking path. I know we drove around the loop and stopped at one of the pull-offs. It was pretty crowded. Pike's Peak was shrouded in clouds, so we didn't see the summit.
Try not to think about the weeds awaiting you. They'll be there whether you worry about them or not, so enjoy the rest of your trip. I'm always ready to get home after my winter trip to FL.
Pat

abelian said...

That was a pretty place! And lovely photos. I really like the bits of local history you share with us. And natural history, like the explanation of Pikes Peak thunderstorms. Dot

piecefulwendy said...

We've been to Pikes Peak, Red Rocks, and other places in Colorado Springs, but not the Garden of the Gods, so I enjoyed seeing the photos. Safe travels today!

Jenny said...

The Garden of the Gods is a stunning area, such fabulous rock formations.

Christine said...

Wow! Some rocks. Love the map.
Some rocks.... Wow!

Kate said...

Garden of the Gods is such a cool place. We ended up spending the better part of a day there because we couldn't get My Guy to go, he kept wanted to walk one more trail. Those Bread Puddings look decadent. Enjoy your visit with your high school band buddy. And congratulations on 49 years of marriage. That is no small accomplishment!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Talk about an impressive place! You would not, however, get me to climb up that sheer rock face. And I'd be too terrified to watch anybody else do it either.