5/2/24

Bowling Green, Kentucky

Good morning, my friends, and welcome to Bowling Green!


We're back on Central time, but only for the next four days. 


On Sunday, we'll head on over to Lexington, Kentucky, where we'll be back on Eastern time again. I'll leave it up to you whether you want to adjust your watches again. This part of the trip was supposed to have been done in a different order, which is why we're going back and forth a little bit. We had to rearrange to accommodate a tour to a horse ranch in Lexington. 

Before leaving Shepherdsville, we got Smitty out for one more walk. He's thinking this picture might be a good one for modeling his special fe-line of activewear.


While he was out, he snarfed down a little more of the Cattucky grass. Mmm, mmm, mmm.


We saw a few barns on our drive. It was a short drive...only 99 miles. The barns in this part of Kentucky are all hidden behind trees, and so I was only able to capture two.



The rest areas look for all the world like My Old Kentucky Home. Pretty fancy. They were very nice inside too.


These pretty red roses were growing along the sidewalk.


Did you know there are T-Rexes in Kentucky? Me neither.


There be dragons in Kentucky too. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.


We passed by the National Corvette Museum on our way to our final destination. We'll be heading there today or tomorrow. Today we're touring Mammoth Cave. Our tour is early, and so depending on our energy level, we might take in the museum too. If not, then we'll see it tomorrow.


We stopped for lunch. We were a little ahead of time to check-in because of the time change. We decided to stop at a Subway, which just happened to be on...


Awwwwww...

So I looked up Bowling Green to see if it had any favorite sons or daughters. As it turns out, it's the birthplace of Duncan Hines! What?!? Get outta town! I thought Duncan Hines was a brand name! As it turns out, Duncan Hines was an actual person. He was a food critic and a cookbook author. Here's a picture of him from the Southern Living website.


Now that you know, you’ll never look at those cake boxes the same way again.

Speaking of food critics, I tried a new recipe for Roasted Chicken Thighs with Hot Honey and Lime. We had it with a side of steamed summer squash.


When I ask Mike to choose a vegetable in the grocery store, he always chooses summer squash. I slice it up, add some butter and garlic salt, cover the dish, and then microwave it. For these two zucchini and two yellow squash, it took 8 minutes in the microwave, stirring twice during that time. As for the chicken, here's the recipe.


It was so easy to do in the RV…just a few ingredients, and it was very tasty. I used the green Jalapeno Tabasco as my hot sauce. It had a nice flavor, but no heat, really. If you like more heat, you might like something stronger. My stomach can’t take that spicy food any more. It’s a NYTimes recipe, so I’m giving you a screen shot from my iPad. I think it will be easy enough to read. If not, you can always Email me and I can send it to you in a different format.

After we arrived in Bowling Green, Smitty bravely got out for another short walk. It was fairly noisy this afternoon, and so I was surprised at his courage. He wanted me to be sure and tell you that The Cat is definitely *not* a wuss. He would hate it if that rumor got started, and it might cause him problems getting modeling gigs with Cosmeowpolitan Magazine. I’m sure you understand. Mumm’s the word, okay?


Sadie enjoyed her afternoon on the catio. Mike and I have noticed that she goes into spasms of adorableness whenever anyone shows her the slightest bit of attention…which is often. Sometimes her adorable wriggling spasms cause her to roll off whatever surface she’s sitting on. At least she can’t fall out of the catio.


I’m writing a little bit fast this morning because we need to be on our way by 8:00 a.m., which seems to us, as retirees, a dreadfully early outing. We’ll console ourselves with our beloved Egg McMuffins before heading up to Mammoth Cave National Park. If I’m reading the website right, I’ll be able to take pictures inside the cave. Hopefully, I’ll have something to show you after we take the “Historic Tour.” 

I visited Mammoth Cave when I was a very little girl. I have almost no memories of it. Actually, the only memory I have of it is the decal that was on the window of our small travel trailer. I collect refrigerator magnets. My dad collected decals. One whole window and half of another was covered in decals, which made them kind of useless as windows. However, that collection of decals did leave me with my one memory of Mammoth Cave…until today. My dad and I did not see eye-to-eye on almost anything. But sometimes I see parts of the man that live on in me.

8 comments:

Barbara said...

I've run less risk driving my way across country than eating my way across it. ~ Duncan Hines

Kate said...

Love the dragons! That's a site that will make you look twice. I had no ideal Duncan Hines was a person, but it does make sense, someone had to start the company. It's just been around so long, you don't think of such things. Hope you have a wonderful visit to the cave today.

Sara said...

Mammoth Cave was amazing. And I was surprised at the time that I actually got my husband to take the time for that stop on a long road trip. Usually he drives right by things, and then says "oh, did you want to do that?". LOL

dgs said...

Smitty is really getting quite comfortable with his out of doors walks and spying opportunities on this adventure. I'm sure glad he enjoyed Cattucky grass. It will be interesting at the end of his adventure where he found the very best grass vs worst tasting grass. He could easily become a Cat Travel Writer. I did not know that about Duncan Hines. Very interesting. I still wonder how he ended up with a product line with his name, but some company probably decided he was so famous it would help sell their products. Way cool.

happyneedles said...

Love all the lovely pictures. Your kitties are oh-so-sweet and cute.

Anonymous said...

Smitty's last picture is for sure cover worthy.
I am so enjoying this trip sitting on the back bumper
Your are now in my teenage years area--good memories,
bad memories--you know how teens are
So glad the hip is behaving
Dorothy (W WA)

piecefulwendy said...

I didn't know Duncan Hines was a person either, so that's interesting! Smitty is looking pretty brave, and Sadie is just as cute as ever. I think I'm turning into a T-Rex, since my arms don't seem to be able to reach things I used to grab with no problem. LOL

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Hi Barbara, I really enjoyed reading all about your visit to Bowling Green. I'm also going to try your microwave squash recipe because in the Summer we grow them faster than we can eat them or give them away and that looks very quick and easy. My granddaughters (who I do childcare for) are off on holiday for two weeks so I will be sure to come back and look at where else you have been. I will pick for the Endeavourers this time. I hope you have a great day, Janine :)