4/6/24

Quilt Shop: Poppy Quilt 'n Sew; Georgetown, Texas

Hello again, my friends. Well...I have time this morning, so let's just get to this. I visited Poppy Quilt 'n Sew yesterday. I'd already scoped it out on Google, but then it came recommended by several of you. So, okay...let's go.


Here's how it looks coming through the front door. It was a friendly store. Everyone through the door (including me) was greeted with a robust "Welcome to Poppy!"


Looking to my right, there were a few sewing machines for sale.


Walking a little ways to the left, there was a brightly-lit classroom. Just in the lower left corner of the image below, you can see there is also a long arm in this room.


Straight ahead of me was a Texas line of fabrics. Now, this is interesting. When in New Mexico, I was shown a New Mexico line of fabrics. It would be great if the manufacturers would put out a line for every state. I wonder what Oregon's would be?


Walking on, they had lots of pretty stuff.


These were some modern looking prints.


There were some bold polka dots. (I should have spent more time in this section.)


The batiks extended across the back wall and rounded the corner.


These were all camping related.


The back room was all solids and tone-on-tones.


These were extra wide fabrics.


And look at these cute critters.


They had a nice supply of thread and other notions and patterns.


And I knew you'd want to see these vintage sewing machines. This is Pfelicity's great grandmother.


Here's an old Singer.


I liked the wine quilt hanging behind it. I looked around briefly for the pattern, but didn't see anything. Just now, I searched for it online. It's a free pattern from Hoffman called "Wine Club." You can download it right here


Oh...and look what followed me from New Mexico! Do you think it will follow me home?


Okay, and remember how I found the perfect fabric for the backing on the Whimsical Quilt Garden? I found more of it here, and so I bought four yards for the backing on that quilt.


And if you've forgotten the Whimsical Quilt Garden, it's this one. The finished quilt top is waiting at home for me to bring it a backing fabric.


And then I selected this one for my regional print...bluebonnets! (And maybe they aren't bluebonnets, but it's my fabric, and I'm saying they are. My quilt, my fabric, my rules.)


Okay, so that really is all I have for you this morning. Have a good day, everybody!

10 comments:

Barbara said...

If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun. ~ Katharine Hepburn

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Looks like a lovely little shop and I'm so glad you found more of the fabric for the backing because it's absolutely perfect.

Kate said...

Looks like a fun shop with a bit of everything. You picked a beautiful fabric for the backing of Whimsical Quilt Garden. The butterfly print is fun too. Enjoy your caving trip today.

Sara said...

Definitely a good stop for you. Both fabric choices seem perfect.

dgs said...

What an inviting store, quite large, but then they say everything in Texas is big. Nice displays and inviting fabric. I like your choices and the backing fabric will be perfect for your Whimsical Garden Quilt. But I do think that Q16 wants to climb into your RV and go home with you (and I think you deserve it too). I'm still trying to figure out floor space in my new sewing room.

Angei said...

Love your visit. The large polka dot looks like a Kaffe Fausett design. He has such bright vivid designs. Your backing fabric is perfect. I can see lots of quilts out of your choice And I do believe that Bernita is wanting to come home with you. It’s fate calling you to take her home. I’m enjoying your trip and all the sights. Have fun and be safe.

Lyndsey said...

Looks like a good quilt shop with a great variety of fabrics. I love the fabric choices you made. Having bought all the fabric for the blooming rings quilt I'm avoiding quilt shops as I don't have the storage space for more fabric. However it's Ok to lust after fabric other people have bought... isn't it.

piecefulwendy said...

What a fun shop! I can see you making that wine quilt, and adding stitching in the label area. We have a line of MN fabric that comes out each year during the statewide Shop Hop (going on now). The fabric is different each year, and the fabrics go fast. That is the perfect backing for your Whimsical Quilt Garden! My sewing mojo seems to have gone in search of bluebonnets - it needs to come home so I can get started (ack) on my challenge quilt.

Christine said...

Super shop and defo blue bonnets!!

QuiltGranma said...

Those cute stuffies/critters are patterns by Funky Friends Factory, and she's either New Zeeland or Australian. I'm on her mailing list. That extra wide fabric with the world map in it would be darling! I'm enjoying being able to come along with you on your trip! Thanks!