4/11/24

Quilt Shop: Must Love Fabric; Colleyville, Texas

Hello again, my friends. I'm here to tell you about the quilt shop we visited yesterday. My friend, Lenelda, told me this was her favorite quilt shop in the area. How could I not go? Impossible!


We had a lot of running around to do, but this was our first stop. It opened at 9:30 a.m. We were just a few minutes early. I was messing around on my phone when I looked up and saw the "Open" sign was lit. Yahoo!


Walking through the front door, it looks like this.


Directly in front of me, I liked these fabrics. I took a look and then made my way around the store, promising myself I'd come back again.


To my right were these cute zipper charms.


A little to the left were lots of embellishments...buckles and buttons and that sort of thing.


A little more to the right were these cute bags and pouches.


From the right-hand corner of the store, I could look down this long wall. It was completely covered with patterns of all kinds.


Walking on, the fabrics on this side of the store were shelved by holidays. These were Christmas fabrics.


These were for Halloween.


These were florals, but mostly fall selections.


On the right side of this aisle were Texas-themed fabrics. I was pretty sure I could find a regional print here, but I walked on to see the rest of the store.


These were all Fourth of July fabrics.


Here were some novelty fabrics.


Next were landscape prints. When I first started making quilts, I bought a lot of landscape fabrics, thinking I'd make more landscape quilts. For a long time, they sat in a bin, never used. Recently, I've been making more landscape quilts, and so I'm starting to look again at these.


I was smitten with this cat fabric. Look at the cats in tutus! This was tempting, but I passed it by.


In the back corner were batiks.


Those of you who love vintage sewing machines would have loved the display on the back wall. I'm not sure if these were for sale or just for looking. There were vintage irons shelved here as well.




There was a good collection of toy sewing machines too. 


And what's up with this? When I snapped the picture, I thought it was a sewing machine. There's a hand wheel on the right, and what appears to be a thread spindle. Maybe that's a tension adjustment on the left? But where is the needle? It doesn't seem like a sewing machine at all. But then, what the heck is it?


After writing this post, I studied it some more while I was proof-reading. I think this might be one of those tractors that attaches to a garden hose and moves along a path watering your lawn. That's just a guess.

Moving on, these were 108"-wide fabrics.


These were fat quarters and panels marked on sale.


And these fabrics were on sale, but only on Saturday.


Standing at the back corner of the store, I could look down this whole wall lined end-to-end with fabric.


Of course, I love these stripes for bindings, but I didn't see anything here I couldn't live without.


These were aboriginal prints. I like these, but haven't really found a use for them yet.


Here were some more fabrics marked on sale with a one-yard minimum.


They had a good selection of blacks, whites, and other neutrals.


And look at these pretty pastel florals.


These were all grunge fabrics.


I liked this little book and some of the projects sitting toward the bottom of the image. Generally, I avoid buying books in a quilt shop, preferring to pay less for them on Amazon. This one is available in both paperback and Kindle. I've added it to my wish list.


I liked that they had scraps of wool and felt beside the book. If there was a project you wanted to make, you could probably find everything you needed right here.


Turning directly around, I found a good supply of embroidery floss.


These pretty mottled tone-on-tones were to my right.


At the front corner of the store was a nice supply of notions.


Turning around, there was a good selection of thread.


There were a lot of Crabapple Hill patterns, including all the months of certain BOMs.


To the right were all different shapes and sizes of Creative Grids rulers.


So, I'm avoiding buying yardage unless I have a specific purpose for it, but I'm always on the hunt for regional prints. Backing up to those Texas-themed fabrics, I decided on this one. It had the cowboy boots to give it a Texas flavor, but the wildflowers were the real selling point. I picked up a fat quarter of this. 


I did head back to the front of the store to take another look at those fabrics I mentioned, but decided against them.

When I checked out, she gave me a gift of this little ruler. I like these to keep around various places in the house. I'll probably put this one in a kitchen drawer for measuring biscuit-sizes and that sort of thing.


And that was that! This was a great shop, and I enjoyed my time there. Everywhere I looked was more pretty fabric, and they probably had something for everyone. Do stop in if you find yourself in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

8 comments:

Barbara said...

Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping. ~ Gertrude Stein

Juls said...

The "tractor" is a Kenmore Rotary sewing machine, made by White Sewing Machine Company. This model is sometimes called a coffin Kenmore by collectors, due to the shape of the light housing on the front of the machine. It looks like an old fashioned coffin that was wide at the shoulders and narrow at the feet. Obviously, it has been removed from this machine. mathrun1 at yahoo

Jenny said...

What a great shop, although with so many choices I would probably be overwhelmed with them all, and cone out empty handed
I made a travel quilt from Aboriginal fabrics, to celebrate the wonderful train trips we did acrocc this huge country. I wrote down places of interest in the sashings, rail trips, air flights, everywhere we stopped. Maybe you will have a trip out to Australia and New Zealand one day?

Lyndsey said...

It looks an amazing quilt shop but I think it would take me hours to make many fabric choices as there is so much choice. Good choice on the texas fabric.

kc said...

Wow, something new and interesting at every turn! I think I would have spent hours, just looking and petting. Sooo many patterns, notions and doodads! And colors! I am not sure I would have/could have resisted those florals at the front. And I'm a sucker for anything with bluebonnets on it! My driver has been sending me Zillow listings,all back in Victoria, TX. Guess he's getting hitch itch again?

Nancy said...

One yard of each of those bright stripes on the sale shelf, please! What a great shop. I love how they've place the rugs- just a lot of nice touches that make it a place you want to be. And super well stocked. You showed a lot of restraint with your purchasing. Thanks for the tour.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Wow! I think this store is amazing and I could have easily gotten lost in there. I probably wouldn't have bought much because I would simply be too overwhelmed.
I succumbed and bought that 'Jingle All The Way' book awhile ago...money well spent because I know I will use it.

piecefulwendy said...

What a huge shop, with just about everything?! It would be difficult to choose from all those options, but I like your regional fabric choice.