4/4/24

Moving On

Good morning, my friends. If you thought you were going to get a break from my incessant prattle this morning, then you will be disappointed. I woke up early enough that I have time to write. This park in Fort Stockton is not too far off the freeway. Somehow, it's less noisy than one might expect, and we've slept well while we're here. Kitties usually have us waking up pretty early in the morning. I believe even they have slept in these past mornings.

The kitties have liked it here. Sadie has figured out that if she begins the morning in her window hammock, she can follow the path of sunshine around the RV, moving first to the recliners, and then to the couch. Following this route, she can get the morning sunshine until well after lunch.


We tried to get Smitty out for a walk, but it was another one that lasted less than a minute. Most places we've stayed have been too exposed for his liking. I'm hoping this next spot will be a little more secluded for him.

The human occupants of the Traveling Three Cats Ranch took yesterday off, for the most part. We ended up getting a few more items from the grocery store toward the end of the day, but mainly because we were bored. Along our way, we returned to see the historic cemetery mentioned in an earlier post.


Here's what it says about it. Pay particular attention to the last sentence in the paragraph on the right.


The cemetery gate is locked, and so we didn't wander around at all, but here's a picture.


Soldiers from Fort Stockton are buried here, along with some of the early settlers.

Backing up to earlier in the day, I spent my morning in the kitchen trying out this recipe from King Arthur for Tiramisu for Two. It takes a bit to put it all together. One must first bake a cake...


Tiramisu is often made with Lady Fingers. In this case, the cake is light, like an angel food cake. It's made by whipping up egg whites and then mixing and whipping up the egg yolks with the rest of the cake ingredients. Then the egg whites are folded in to lighten the batter. It's a thin cake, and so it bakes pretty quickly...12 minutes for mine.

While that baked, I made up the "soak" from Kahlua, espresso, and vanilla.


Finally, I made the filling from whipping cream, mascarpone, confectioner's sugar, and vanilla.


Mine was made in mugs. From here, these were covered and refrigerated until dessert time last night.


If you click on the link I've given you, you can see how this is layered. This is the picture that accompanied the recipe.


King Arthur used wide-mouth pint jars for theirs. It's filling, cocoa powder, soaked cake, then more filling, and on until you've used two layers of cake in each. The cake would be cut with a biscuit cutter, but I used the lid from one of my tupperware containers. While we watched our TV last night, we tasted it. We put a little dollop of Redi-Whip on top of ours, and whoa. This was really good. It was decadent without being too rich. We really liked it. It's a keeper for sure.

The only other thing we did yesterday was to get out for a walk after dinner. Along our way, we were accompanied by these birds. I believe these are the "Great-Tailed Grackles." They have a loud and varied call like a "Common Grackle," but a long tail like a roadrunner.


They make quite a racket, but it's enjoyable listening to and watching them. I believe they roost in the taller trees here in the park.


And I saw a few more blooming things. I've seen this yellow before, but I haven't been able to identify it.


I believe this is the seed head left from a gaillardia.


Here's some white mallow. It has just a slightly pink-tinged center.

Okay, so we're heading down the road again today. By day's end, we'll be in Georgetown, Texas. It will be our first time staying in a COE (Core of Engineers) Campground. If memory serves, there is a lake there. I've been studying up on the location of the Texas Bluebonnets, and I believe we'll be in one of the areas where we might see them. Rest areas are often planted with native flowers, and so we'll give it a good look while we're traveling today. Fingers crossed.

All right my friends. Our drive is long today. Breakfast awaits. Time to get going.

11 comments:

Barbara said...

Everyone likes birds. What wild creature is more accessible to our eyes and ears, as close to us and everyone in the world, as universal as a bird? ~ David Attenborough

allier4 said...

Ah you’ll be right up the road from me. Poppy Quilt n Sew is a nice shop in Georgetown. And you should see a good amount of bluebonnets! Enjoy!

Kate said...

I'm going to have the try the Tiramisu for Two. Tiramisu is probably my favorite dessert. Safe travels today. I hope you see some great wildflowers today.

Sara said...

Those old cemeteries can be so interesting. Hope you see lots of pretty blooming things today! Especially Bluebonnets.

The tiramisu sounds really yummy and not too difficult.

Lyndsey said...

The old cemetery looks really interesting, shame the gate was locked. Mmmm the tiramisu looks delicious. I haven't had any for ages and now I really want some. Your kitties are so peaceful and relaxed, just needing sun and a comfortable place to snooze.

dgs said...

I always learn so much from you, especially when you are traveling. I'm not familiar with Grackle, but now hope to see some one day. And I'm working hard to remember the name of all the flowers you are sharing. Beautiful. I am keeping my fingers crossed in hopes you and Mike get to see a large field of Texas Bluebonnets soon.

Jenny said...

Your dessert sounds and looks delicious. The very first time I tried tiramisu was on our trip to USA, taking part in a 6 day coach tour, stopping for dinner in Washington DC. I was so impressed with my dessert, and even more impressed when we were told the presidential helicopter carrying President Obama was flying overhead!

kc said...

Not positive where exactly you're headed, but I hope you get to Wildseed Farms, near Fredericksburg TX. Lots and lots of bluebonnets there, as well as garden art,flags, spinners, flowers/plants, home decor, bird stuff, statues, and a wonderful tea house/sandwich shop. Not to mention acres and acres of poppies, Indian blankets and bluebonnets.

Christine said...

I'm taking life like the kitties..... No sun just blankets!!! lol
Hope you find the blue bonnets, I'm intrigued..... We have carpets of bluebells here, magical.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Your kitties are such good travelers - woofies aside.
I might have to give your tiramasu recipe to the Resident Chef so we can give it a try. Mind you, we'd have to buy some Kahlua.

piecefulwendy said...

Rather sobering to read that the life expectancy was 40 years, but given the hard work, it's not surprising. The tiramisu recipe looks so good - I need to get some kahlua and try it!