3/11/24

Text and Texture

Good afternoon, my friends. It was a "life happens" kind of day. We had to do some grocery shopping. Our nav unit sent us off on a wild goose chase. We went to where it told us to go only to find literally nothing there. No buildings of any kind. Just wild brush. Okay, so we tried Google maps and drove right to it. No idea where our nav unit thought it was going. 

We left the kitties in peaceful slumber, and they were there to greet us when we got back. Smitty likes his window perch.


Sadie does her serious sleeping on the back of the couch.


It's always a challenge finding a place to put things when we're grocery shopping on the road. We managed to get it all put away. After that, it was time for lunch and naps. 

Not much else happened during the day. Mike went out for a bike ride, and I decided it was as good a time as any for a photo prompt. Maybe you've seen the photos my friend Kate and her family do each week. They're really fun. This was Kate's last post right here. Kate & Co. have been doing this for a long time. I was inspired to buy the pack of cards after seeing their images. I only do this when we're traveling. Picking a card, I came up with this one:


So, off I went. I might have done better with a macro lens for this, but I was just sticking with my point and shoot. Just outside, I captured our Astroturf doormat.


This is the bark of a tree just outside our door.


Different tree barks turned out to be the best subjects. This one is of tree bark a few spaces down from us.


This next one is the surface of an ornamental rock.


This next one is the bark of the Red Iron Eucalyptus variety mentioned in a previous post.


This is the cover of a water meter. It's interesting to me what things you see when you look a little closer. It's a lowly water meter, but there's quite a lot going on here texture-wise.


This is the trunk of one of the Tasmanian Blue Gum Eucalyptus trees. These are the most prevalent in Southern California.


This is the center of one of those "freeway" daisies.


This is the center of a nearly bloomed out rose.


And here's the center of that same hibiscus flower I've been watching.


Across from the hibiscus, these are the bricks in a retaining wall.


And this next one is the "throat" of one of the Birds of Paradise.


This is the headlight on our truck.


This is the pruned-off edge of a tree branch.


This is from our roll of paper towels.


Of course, I had to include the kitties. This is Smitty's nose.


Here's a near-identical pose from Sadie.


And finally...this flower...just because you know I have to take pictures of every blooming thing.


So that was my photography expedition. Earlier in the day, I spent some time on my slow-stitching. I stitched far enough in this section to decide to move my hoop.


It's just a little more than half finished.


Now I've moved my hoop to the lower right corner, and I stitched a little more on the bottom part before quitting for the day.


It's getting close to dinner time. I'm making some Avocado-Egg Salad Sandwiches with Pickled Celery for dinner. With local avocados available, I'm working on 1,001 ways with avocados this week. We're only just getting started. Probably, we'll need more avocados within a day or two. Also, we'll be having some copycat KFC Coleslaw on the side. It's my new favorite way to make coleslaw. Most everything is already done, but I still need to make the sandwich mix. 

As Mike's mom used to say when she headed into the kitchen to cook, "I guess I'll go save a life." It's easy to be a hero in the kitchen.

11 comments:

Barbara said...

Looking through the camera lens reduces noise; as humans we see a million shapes, colours and textures. What the lens does, what art does in general, is get rid of all the noise. It hones in and isolates the qualities of a scene. ~ Greig Fraser

Christine said...

That is some headlight!!!
Noses for poses.... They so want to be stroked....

Lyndsey said...

All your texture photos are great and have inspired me to do some artwork. I particularly like the tree barks and the headlight. I must get a set of those cards as my family would love the challenge. We already share a lot of themed photos on WhatsApp. It would be fun to pick a card to get the theme.

Cherie Moore said...

I just love Kate’s family photo challenges :). Fun seeing your texture photos…..Sadie’s nose is hard to distinguish, lol.

Kate said...

You found lots of fun textures on your photo expedition. That's one of the fun things about the challenge is how it makes you look at things differently or pay more attention to things you walk by everyday. I'm looking forward to more seeing what other cards you pull this trip.

bcarlf said...

I like to follow Kate's photo challenges too. I was a science major too so I do enjoy Grad Girl's perspectives. So, yes I will look forward to all your photos. I often pay attention to the patterns on paper towels, so it was great that you picked that. I have a lot of old trees in my yard, and I love looking at the lichen formations on them. The kitties' noses are lovely!

piecefulwendy said...

I spent a few minutes catching up on your posts. Decided to just comment on this one and save you from having to respond to multiple comments. Fresh avocados, I'm jealous. The mimosas and waffles - yum! It was fun to read about your memories of Vista and how it's changed. The kitties seem to be chill on the trip, and you've reminded me to pull out my deck of photography prompts!

dgs said...

Interesting texture photos, which I love them all, but my FAVS are the kitty noses. They just make me smile.

radars grammy said...

Beautiful pics. Inspiration to look closer at everyday objects. Always love the flowers

Vivian Helena said...

Love following your trips. I gave up on my old Kodak camera. love the shots you are getting, close-ups are so personal. Only have my I phone now. Lots of ways to play with photos available. close-ups so intimate.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Fascinating texture tour! Best of all are those whiskery noses (of course).