3/17/24

Starlink is Back!

Hooray! Our Starlink connection is up and running again. Mike is convinced the problem we've had with ours was simply a fluke. Many, many, many RVers are using Starlink without problems, and so we think we just got a defective dish. They sent us a complete new system. Mike hooked it up with our old dish, and it still didn't work. When he switched to the new dish...magic! And I'm not kidding about the magic. I gave up trying to understand how things work back in the mid-70's when FAX machines first became widely available. Honestly, how can you send printed text via a landline telephone? Obviously,  magic is involved. That's all you need to know.

So it's been a mostly-do-nothing day. I spent some time taking the first stitches on Kitten #8. This one introduces a new color to the mix with that terra cotta red.


We were a lazy bunch this morning. Sadie had a primo napping spot on Mike's lap.


Smitty enjoyed his purrsonal quilt on the bed.


I had a couple of Braeburn apples left over from when I made the apple crisp last week. It seemed like a good time to try this Apple Cobbler for Two recipe. It was super easy to make. It's supposed to be baked in ramekins.


I decided to use these two soup mugs I purchased just for this sort of thing. They're the same diameter as a ramekin, but deeper. This leaves room for a scoop of vanilla ice cream. 


We made another short grocery shopping trip to pick up the things we forgot on yesterday's short grocery shopping trip. 

Back home, we had some lunch and lazed around for most of the day. Just a little while ago, I decided to draw another photo prompt card:


For this prompt, I pretty much stuck to things inside the RV. This first one is a weighted napkin holder. I can't count the number of times we'd enter the RV after a day on the road and find our stack of napkins scattered all over the floor. We finally got smart and purchased this one that has a weight to hold things in place. The problem has not returned.


This is the tube for the pump on our bottle of hand soap.


Charging cord for iPads.


Kosher salt.


Laces on my shoe.


My laptop keyboard.


My cordless mouse.


I stepped outside for this one. It's the Bird of Paradise growing outside our door. They are such interesting flowers.


Of course, I wanted some extreme close-ups of the kitties. Here's Smitty's green eye.


And his pink nose.


I couldn't resist another shot of his nose.


This is the tip of his tail.


Sadie was less cooperative with extreme close-ups of her face. She did purrmit me to capture her hind paw.


This is their scratching post.


And this is their dry food. Looks delicious, no? Who wouldn't want to eat that? (Raises hand.)


Okay, and I wanted to update you on the recipe I tested for America's Test Kitchens recently. You might recall we ate it after the bare minimum amount of time in the refrigerator. Even after three days, it didn't set up any more than it did the first night we ate it. Think of a cream pie without a crust, and you're going to be pretty close to its taste and texture. I'll be curious to see if they make changes to the recipe (assuming they publish it), but I wouldn't make it again.

That's all I have for you today. We're going to go get some more avocados tomorrow, and we have dinner with friends planned for later in the evening. I'm contributing dessert, and so I'll be doing some baking in the morning too. Aside from that, we're just biding our time until we move on to Arizona on Thursday. We have a couple of outings planned for next week, but then we'll hit the road again. There's still so much to see along our route. We're just barely getting started.

9 comments:

Barbara said...

A recipe is a story that ends with a good meal. ~ Pat Conroy

Emma's Daughter said...

As always, I’m enjoying your travelogue. I’ve never been to California, so this trip is especially interesting to me. I also printed your Apple Cobbler for Two recipe, and I’m going to try it for tomorrow night’s dessert. We just happen to have some vanilla ice cream! I always love the kitty reports and kitty photos.

CA Bobbie said...

Will you share the brand of cat food you use? I've not seen a white & blue dry food. I know your kitties are very healthy.
Thanks

piecefulwendy said...

I'm curious about the cat food too. That pink nose - kitty noses are the best. Bird of Paradise would be fun to see in real life!

dgs said...

I'm glad you have a replacement Starlink and it is working as expected. I hope smooth sailing from here on out. Great close up photos, all very interesting, but Smitty's nose is still my FAV.

Judy in Mo said...

Are you going to the quilt shop in Temecula? I love their newsletters and online store. They feature a lot of mini quilts.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Very glad your Starlink is up and running. And of course I love Smitty's nose - what could be cuter than that.

Lyndsey said...

Very happy to hear your Starlink is up and running again and I'm really enjoying travelling with you on this trip. Your photo prompts are fun especially Smitty's little pink nose.

Kate said...

So glad the replacement StarLink worked. Love your close up texture photos. The kitty photos are my favorite, especially that pink nose.