3/30/24

Quilt Shop: Be Sew Creative; Las Cruces, New Mexico

 Good afternoon, my friends. We had a busy day today. We visited both the MacDonald Observatory and the Fort Davis National Historic Site earlier this afternoon. I'll write a separate post for each venue tomorrow. But I promised you a quilt shop post, and a quilt shop post you shall have. 

I could have chosen from two different quilt shops in Las Cruces. This one was the closest to us, and it was a good one.


Here's how the building looks from the outside.


And this shop will go down as one of the friendliest shops I've visited. Walking through the front door, it looked like this:


There were two friendly women working there, who greeted me with all smiles. Ellen appeared to be the person in charge, and she was kind enough to point out this line of New Mexico fabrics to me. 


Turning around and walking to the other side of the room, these were all 108-inch fabrics.


To my right were these fabrics. 


Turning farther to the right were these solids and tone-on-tones.


The store didn't have a lot of fabric. It was also a sales and repair store for sewing machines. Walking to a larger room toward the back, they had scads of thread.


And you know I love thread as much as I love fabric. Look at these pretty sparkle threads.


Turning directly around...now this is interesting. See those bags lined up on the upper shelf?


Here's how they were labeled. It was a Brown Bag Mystery. This sounds kind of fun.


They had lots of different kinds of notions.


There was a fancy Baby Lock embroidery machine set up. I had a Bernina embroidery machine for a while. Machine embroidery wasn't for me, and I ended up selling my machine and getting my current Bernina 750QE instead. I'm still interested in these machines though. Maybe if my hands give out someday, I might consider machine embroidery again.


They had Berninas for sale too.


And oh...be still, my beating heart.


If I had all the money in the world, this is the first thing I'd buy. Maybe I'll win the lottery someday, and then I'll get one. Maybe someday I'll actually play the lottery. Probably playing would vastly improve my odds of winning.


There were more machines set up there for testing.


There was a classroom and a class going on in the room farthest back. I took this picture through the door. 


This ruler interested me. It's really more of a template, but it also has markings for making a repetitive design and getting it nice and even. I studied it for a while, trying to understand how it worked. 


Then I noticed the price, and I put it down right away before I broke something.


Back at home, I looked it up online. I was curious to see if there were videos explaining how it work, and there were. Take a look right here. And it looks like a useful tool. I wondered if Amazon had it cheaper. And they did. But take a look at this caveat:



I read the reviews. Some people really liked it, but a high number reported that it arrived broken and that it was too fragile. I decided against it. You can decide for yourself whether this is a useful item.

So what did I buy? Well, Ellen told me that dia de los muertos is a big deal in Las Cruces. She said people wear make up and get into costume. That convinced me to choose this one for my regional print.

'
Also, I liked this one as a backing for my Whimsical Garden quilt, but they only had a few yards left, and I needed four yards. Nevertheless, I got a yard of it. It's so pretty. It's another from the New Mexico line. Apparently there is a "humming bird season" in New Mexico, and you can see humming birds in this print.


Also, Ellen gave me this fat quarter as a gift. She held out a box for me to choose, and I selected the first one.


So this was a fun and friendly shop. I'd recommend a visit if you find yourself traveling through Las Cruces.

9 comments:

Barbara said...

I always loved those little creatures [hummingbird], always feel blessed when they appear nearby. There's a magical quality to them. I finally put one in a song. ~ Leonard Cohen

piecefulwendy said...

Always fun to see the shops you visit. I've never seen that ruler, but those reviews would definitely give me pause.

Kate said...

Looks like a fun shop. You picked out some fun fabrics too.

dgs said...

What a fun an inviting quilt shop. I definitely want to go there. I did have an opportunity to spend a day on a Bernina Q24, while taking a FMQ class at Road to CA. I loved the class and the machine. They had really good show prices and I was tempted, but having just moved I wasn't sure where I would put it. Thus, it too remains on my dream list, waiting to win a Lotto. I love you fabric purchases and wouldn't have spotted the little hummingbird in the print if you hadn't mentioned. Way cool. I think I would have purchased exactly what you purchased. Love all of it. The Westalee Ruler is more for marking your blocks and fabric to use the Spinaflex rulers and create perfect alignment. I will happily loan rulers to you anytime, if you want to give them a try.

Lyndsey said...

That looks like a fun shop and I like the fabrics you picked.

Beth said...

I always love your quilt shop tours! It is great fun to see what fabric you choose, especially knowing you will use it unlike some of us (pointing straight at myself and vowing to do better). That hummingbird fabric is so charming, and reminds me of my parents who had a serious relationship with their hummingbirds.

Anonymous said...

Love the picture of you and your mom. Reminds me of those days when I would get a new hat, white gloves and usually new white shoes for Easter. I’m obviously about the same vintage as you, lol! Happy Easter! I’m enjoying our trip (with you). Candy

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Looks like a great shop. Absolutely love the regional print you selected. There is definitely a hummingbird season. Up here in Rio Rancho we are all anxiously waiting for the season to begin :)

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Sounds like a lovely shop, made all the better by such friendly staff. Wonder if you could ask the Google to locate more of that print you liked?