3/28/24

Las Cruces, New Mexico

 Good morning, my friends! This morning we find ourselves in the state of New Mexico. And look at you! You got there without ever leaving your chair! There's a lot of magic in this world, isn't there?


Sadie was blissed out on her hammock yesterday morning. The kitties know the signs when we're buttoning up to leave, though. We didn't have to disturb her. She found her way to the bedroom all on her own as we began to batten down the hatches.


There was something low and yellow blooming in the desert as we left Arizona. 


The southeastern part of Arizona is where the Sonora Desert gives way to the Chihuahua Desert.


About halfway into our day's drive, we crossed the state line into New Mexico.


It was interesting watching the desert change. It went from sagebrush...


to a stark and dusty landscape. The change happened as if a line had been drawn in the dust. Sage brush...stay over there!


And New Mexico isn't kidding about their dust storms. We passed by this series of signs telling drivers what to do in a dust storm.


Pull off the roadway.


Turn off your engine.


Take your foot off the brake. Mike says that's so other drivers don't see your tail lights and think they're still on the road.


And keep your seatbelts buckled. Keeping your seatbelt buckled is just good advice for life.


Stopping at a rest stop, I read this historic marker. Apparently the Shakespeare ghost town was just down the road.

Continuing on, we saw some fields of orange things blooming. They were too short to be poppies.


And we crossed over the Continental Divide. I didn't know this until just now, but apparently, there's a whole Continental Divide Trail. (I wish I'd known about these national trails when I was a younger person with stronger knees.)


By then, we were nearing our final destination of Las Cruces. We could see the Organ Mountains as we approached. Okay, just now I learned there is a national monument associated with these mountains in the Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument.


We've been talking about driving the 50 (or so) miles north to see White Sands National Park. Now that I know about this national monument, which is only about 13 miles away, that might be a better choice for us. We've been to White Sands before. It might make sense to try something new. Mike went back to bed. He's the driver. I'll let him decide which he'd rather do. 

Just before we reached Las Cruces, we passed by a rest area. It features a giant statue of a roadrunner. Mike remembered seeing this before, but I didn't.


Okay, now for a little sewing news. We left home in such a hurry, I didn't take enough time with my clothes. Already I ordered some socks from Amazon because I didn't bring enough of the right kinds of socks. They were awaiting our arrival here. That's neither here nor there, but I also packed these jeans that are a little iffy on the patching. You might recall when I patched a hole in the knee of these jeans a few months ago. I realized at the time I should have made the patch a little larger to cover more of the worn area. As we were riding along yesterday, I noticed there was another hole forming.


I'd been giving this some thought as we rode along, and so our first stop in Las Cruces was to a nearby Joann store to pick up some applique patches.


It was hard to choose. There was a cat too, but it was too big for my purposes. I ended up with these flowers. I am a child of the 60's, doncha know. It was tough sewing through those thicknesses of denim, but I got 'er done. And now I'm sporting a fancy flower next to my other knee patch.


Mike's not the only one who can make repairs on the road.

Okay, and as I mentioned, this park has the best hot tub we've ever seen. After visiting the first time way back in 2004, we've returned to this park multiple times for no other reason than it was the right distance, and it has this really big hot tub. Looking at the image below, the distance from left to right is about 15 feet. And we headed over there right after dinner to soak our weary bones.


Ahhhhhhhhhhh. So look at that picture of Sadie at the beginning, and you'll know how we felt.

Okay, so the day is now up in the air. I blame you guys for make me learn about the Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument. Now what are we going to do? As repayment for your impertinence, I'll make you wait until tomorrow's post to see what we decided. And ya' know I love ya', right? 

8 comments:

Barbara said...

When I was growing up, there were so many things I thought were stylish. Jabo jeans, V Bombers, Clarks, Vikings, Nugget watches, Lee pants with the patches, leather hats - which I still wear now. All hip-hop stuff, all South Bronx stuff. ~ Swizz Beatz

Lisa England said...

Interesting to hear about your travels. The roadrunner statue is pretty cool. I would like to see a roadrunner in the wild. I look for birds the way you look for plants.

Lyndsey said...

As a child of the sixties I complement you on your flower patch. Looks purrfect to me. The hot tub looks very inviting and my weary bones and joints would sure like a long soak. Wherever you chose to take me tomorrow I be riding along. I'm enjoying the trip, I'm learning a lot about America and I'm travelling with friends who understand how to explore a place. I also very grateful to Mike for doing the driving. I tend do nearly all the driving on our trips and John navigates.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Great patch job! And good to know what to do in a dust storm (scary to contemplate having to be in one).

kc said...

If you have time, Tinkertown Museum, Sandia Park, NM, is well worth the time and drive. We spent the better part of a whole day there, all for $6 pp!! Checked their website, they open for the season Mar 30, if you're still there. You would both be intrigued by all the nickelodeons and art, as well as the story behind it.

Christine said...

Love the patch..... Hope you took the jeans off before you stitched....... And covered those ne ck ed legs🤣🤣

Kate said...

Love the patch save for your jeans. Hope you enjoyed whichever location you choose for your adventure.

piecefulwendy said...

I don't know what's better, keeping up with your posts each day, or letting them stack up. Then it's like reading a good book -- ohh! Another chapter! Seriously, I thoroughly enjoy your posts. That roadrunner is hard to miss - probably not room in your yard for that one! Ha! That hot tub looks amazing, and your little flower patch rocks!