2/22/24

Some Finishes

Good morning, my friends. It was a day for finishing yesterday. The only thing that wasn't finished was the day's Tiny Heart. The instructions for stitching the rest of this one will be posted today.


When that was finished, I stitched and stitched and stitched until I had the "Gather" block finished. 


That was Block 11 for the Joyful Journey quilt. Here are the 11 blocks I have for this quilt so far. Just one to go before I can sew it into a quilt top. As I'm writing this, I'm thinking I should figure out if I have finishing fabrics in my stash. If not, I'll look for something while we're traveling. Already on my "To Find" list is a backing fabric for My Whimsical Garden.


That leaves me in need of a new stitching project. I'm taking the Kittens blocks along on our trip. You might recall that I prepared these for stitching on our last trip. I have six of 12 blocks stitched so far.


This morning, I'll take the first stitches on this next block:


From there, I got in a Bowflex workout. My wrist seems no worse off for it. When I finished my workout, I returned to the binding for the Dot-to-Dot panel. I was just a little over halfway around. After about an hour of stitching, I turned the fourth corner.


And then, it wasn't long before I had a finished quilt.


It ended up at 42 x 52 inches. It now has a place of honor hanging on the wall of my office, which doubles as my quilting room.

While I was stitching, the kitties were jockeying for position on the new flannel quilt. They really seem to like these rag quilts for some reason. Maybe they like the ruffles. In any case, we often see them in this position, except sometimes Smitty is the one on the floor.


There was still just a little time left in the day, and I used it to quilt the little Hanging the Christmas Lights quilt. It's just a smidge under 12 x 12 inches, and so it didn't take long to finish the quilting. 


I used white metallic thread for sparkle. I quilted in a few more snowflakes in the center panel, and then just some straight-line quilting in the borders. 


And there was still time in the day, so I sewed on the binding. This was a scrap left over from another quilt.


And then it was almost no time at all before the hand-stitching was completed, and I had myself another little finish for the day.


Here's how it looks from the back.


There's just one more small project on my white board. Today I'll get to work quilting and binding this Bumble Sampler. It should be easy enough to finish in a single day.


We're coming down the home stretch on our travel preparations. The weather is supposed to be good today and for the next two days. Mike and I have committed to getting out and pulling some weeds. Think of it as self-preservation for when we return from our trip. We'd really like to be able to find the house when we get back. I've also created quite a long list of foods I want to make ahead, and I'll get a start on that over the next couple of days.

If there's time for sewing, I'm tempted to make the final block for the Barn Block Sampler. Here are the blocks I have for that quilt so far:


If there's still time for sewing, I'm going to choose my own colors for some Cats in Pajamas quilt blocks. I'm going to fall behind on this Rainbow Scrap Challenge while we're traveling. It seems as if all the colors eventually get chosen for these challenges, however, and so it doesn't matter if I do them out of order. Here are the two cats I have so far. The cat in red pajamas is Sadie. You can tell by the tail.


I'll be looking for a good Smitty fabric while we're traveling. I'm hoping I can find a gray with black stripes in our travels, but it might be a tall order.

So, okay. Time is winding down before it's time for us to take off on our travels. I've created a grocery list, and we'll do our shopping tomorrow. It'll be our last grocery shopping trip until we reach Escondido, California. There's weeding to do and some cooking ahead to do, and so the to-do list is growing longer. Laundry is on the list for today. Time to get going. What's on your list for today?

6 comments:

Barbara said...

It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish. ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

Lyndsey said...

Your finishes are all delightful and I love your choice of bindings. I meant to start the dogs in sweaters quilt this month but it my be on my to do list next month. The cats are very cute.

Jenny said...

Havent you had a busy old time in your sewing room. I'm sure those cross stitch cats will enjoy going on your trip with you.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You're knocking off finishes at a rapid rate!
Nice to see a return of the cross stitch kitties. They remind me of some of the designs my grandma used to do.

Kate said...

You've done so well at finishing off all those little projects you've been working on. Good luck with all your prep for the trip.

piecefulwendy said...

Your quilt should definitely hang in a place of honor, after all that work on it. It's so pretty! I'm enjoying seeing the barn block designs in fabric, too!