2/29/24

Plan C

Good afternoon, my friends. Well, a lot has changed since I wrote last time. I believe I told you we'd changed our plans after learning about a big Snowpocalypse headed toward the Siskiyou Summit. Well, we've changed our plans again. After watching the weather forecast for the local area last night, we realized snow would be dumping into literally all the mountain ranges surrounding us. We had to leave home this morning or risk having problems getting over the coastal mountains. We went into panic packing mode, and we drove away from the Three Cats Ranch this morning. We find ourselves in Winchester Bay, Oregon, as I'm writing. With our early departure, I hope you didn't miss the bus. 

It rained most of the way down. When I had a chance, I captured some barns along the way. If you haven't traveled with us before, then you should know right from the get-go that we're going to see a lot of barns on driving days. Here are a few I captured as we sped by. I don't have much to say about these, so I'll just let you look.







As we drove along, we could see snow at some of the higher elevations. We were very glad we weren't in the middle of it. In fact, snow was falling as we left home, but it was too warm to stick.


After turning off I-5 just south of Eugene, we traveled Hwy 38 (I think) to Reedsport, Oregon, and our final destination. Along the way, the snow was at our level in some places. Fortunately, the road was clear.


It was about a four-hour drive to our final destination. When we arrived, some Canada geese met us at the gate, blocking our way. Fortunately, they moved off to the right, allowing us to pass.


Even though it rained most of the way, it was dry when we arrived, and we were able to set up without getting wet. It's terribly windy and cold, however, and so it's pretty outside, but only from the interior of the RV.


Robin Redbreast snoopervised while we set up.


The kitties were good travelers, as usual. We gave them their greet and treats, water, and dry food. We'd also picked up some wheatgrass for them to enjoy. They like a little nibble when they're confined to the indoors.


We've been parked for a couple of hours now. We've had some lunch, and we've all had naps. Mike has the Star Link set up, and this blog post is brought to you by our very own Star Link internet connection. Pretty cool. It will only work if it has a clear view of the sky. Otherwise, we will have to rely on our cell phones or else park wi-fi. It's also our way of getting television. Mike is happily watching his Formula One racing, and Sadie has parked herself on his lap. It's very cold, and so we're enjoying hot buttered rums to warm up our innards. Life is good.


So even though we left home a day early (Plan C), we'll be back to our original change of plans (Plan B) tomorrow. We'll drive just 86 miles south to Port Orford, Oregon, tomorrow, and then we'll cross into Northern California the next day. We're hopeful we won't see any snow along the way.

I hope y'all are comfortably ensconced in your chairs with your seatbelts fastened. Since I'm a day ahead of myself with this post, I probably won't blog again until Saturday. With our drive so short tomorrow, I'm going to be putting dinner in the slow cooker upon our arrival in Port Orford, and we'll take some time to chill after flying out the door so fast this morning. The trip is only just getting started. There will be a lot more to see from here on.

12 comments:

Barbara said...

A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. ~ John Steinbeck

Vicki W said...

Good luck on your trip!

Christine said...

Hello
You've appeared in my reading list so I've hopped on board.... Only just made it so I'll catch up later.
It did cross my mind that you'd left without me but.... I knew it was technology.... Maybe the 'stars' were involved. lol
Off to catch up....

gpc said...

Safe travels.

Terri said...

I hope the weather is great for the remainder of your trip! Stay safe!

Sara said...

I saw the weather reports of the mountains all over the west - lots and lots of snow. Hopefully you will dodge it all and have safe travels.

abelian said...

Glad you made it over the mountains before the storm. I’ll be watching (from afar) the Ring cameras at my vacation house in the Sierra south of Yosemite, where the forecast is for 4 to 6 feet of snow. I hope the second-story deck survives! Dot

kc said...

Safe travels!!!

piecefulwendy said...

Glad you were able to get ahead of the storm. Hope there is clear sailing for the rest of your trip!

Kate said...

That storm system you were avoiding sounds like a mess, so glad you got out ahead of it. Hope you are able to chill and enjoy some down time after all the rushing to get on the road.

Lyndsey said...


I'd set an alert on my phone to tell me if you left early. I was up and following as soon as it beeped, thank goodness I'd packed early. The weather systems look absolutely riotous in America at the moment. I thought our weather was bad but your weather is worse.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Good thing you had a plan C (and B!) because you needed to avoid the weather. Be safe!