1/31/24

The Reveal: Freckled Frog

Good morning my friends. It's time to reveal my quilt for the "Patterns in Nature" prompt. My quilt was inspired by the Northern Leopard Frogs we encountered while hiking in Fort Ransom State Park in North Dakota. This is my original photograph. You can see more pictures from our hike at that link I've given you.


Initially, I didn't see how I was going to recreate him with the fabrics I had available. Then, I came across a swatch of this McKenna Ryan fabric in my stash. Doing a quick internet search, I was able to find more of it. Yahoo! It was just what I needed to create frog skin. 


So I went to work rendering my photograph into fabric.


These are time-consuming, and they can be frustrating. This one actually went together more easily than anticipated.


Hour by hour...a little more.


Until the whole frog was constructed. I added the chalk lines on the legs so I’d know where to focus my stitching to bring out the detail.


Then, I created a background for it. This would have been a good fabric for the recent "Sky Color" challenge.


From there, I peeled him up off the teflon pressing sheet and fused him to the background.


Then it was ready for quilting and binding. These are the thread colors I used.


I wanted to quilt a dragonfly above his head, and I wanted it to have sparkly wings.


First, I went to work thread-painting and stitching down the edges of the frog.


That was done just through the quilt batting and prior to adding the back.


When it was finished, it looked like this:


Searching through my stash, I didn't have a fabric I liked for the back. I went searching online and found the perfect back for the frog. The rest of the quilting was done after the back was added.


And then I went to work quilting a place for the frog to live...and some friends to have over for dinner.


This is my rendering of a dragonfly.


Also, he wanted some lilypads and cattails in his pond.



On both sides, if you don't mind.


When the quilting was finished, I found this binding in my leftover binding scrap bag.


The quilt was actually all finished and hanging on the wall. Every time I entered the sewing room, I felt as if it needed something else on the right side. And so I carefully fused this rising sun (or setting sun...not really sure), and quilted in a few rays.


And then I could call it finished. 


I hope you like my quilt. It finishes up at 17 x 22 inches. To see more quilts created for the "Patterns in Nature" prompt, head on over to The Endeavourers blog.

25 comments:

Barbara said...

If it's your job to eat a frog, it's best to do it first thing in the morning. And If it's your job to eat two frogs, it's best to eat the biggest one first. ~ Mark Twain

Auntiepatch said...

Beautiful, just beautiful!

Tilly said...

What a beautiful quilt, you are an artist.

Marianne said...

Fantastic! I love following your process as well as the final result!

Kate said...

Wow! The frog turned out beautifully, very realistic. It's a wonderful quilt for the challenge.

Christi said...

Love it! I'm so impressed by your ability to make a photo into a quilt.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! He is wonderful!

Susan C said...

Beautiful! Don’t you just love it when you find the perfect fabrics?!

Kara Benavides said...

I LOVE your frog! As a child, I spent hours floating on my raft in a small pond in the woods. It was filled with these frogs. I loved to watch them. So cool.

Sara said...

I love everything about this mini quilt. It's wonderful. Your choices of color and then the whimsical quilting - just awesome!!

MissPat said...

Once again, you nailed t. So realistic.
Pat

karen said...

Love your frog. very chill. Your fabric choices are wonderful. Remember when we first started quilting ? There were no choices in fabric or colors. It's so nice to do art in fabric.
You done good, girl.

CarolE said...

Love it! How fun to be able to create something like this.

Mary C said...

Stunning! A masterful art quilt!

Jane said...

Wow! Your little quilt is beautiful and so creative! Thank you for sharing it with your readers.

Anonymous said...

Wow…Barbara, this is an awesome finish!! Love everything about it…the colors, the fabrics, the quilting…everything!! Thanks so much for sharing!
I also wanted to say how much I like the new carpet…. I know it was a lot of work for you and Mike, but after the fact, isn‘t it great to have it all done? And, any big project like that forces us to go through everything and purge items no longer needed. It‘s a win, win, for sure!
We are getting some more consistent weather here in central Virginia for the next few days….on our local news weather segment last evening, it was reported that, in the previous week and a half, we had highs in the 30‘s, 40‘s, 50‘s, 60‘s, and 70‘s!!! Crazy!
Sandra B
scb23229@yahoo.com

Jenny said...

Such a fantastic frog! Thanks for walking us through your process.

MoeWest said...

The frog is fantastic! And I love the fabrics and all the quilting details. Well done!

Joan G said...

Beautiful job, Barbara! Well done!

Lyndsey said...

I love the frog and his pond. Beautiful work and the dragonfly is delightful

dgs said...

Oh my gosh this is stunning. You did an awesome job. I love frogs and this one is so beautiful other frogs would hop on over to croak a song with yours!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

This was worth every second of the wait to see the reveal! He (she?) is wonderful and now I have 'A froggie would a-wooing go' running through my mind. Perhaps that's what he's doing.

piecefulwendy said...

Talk about having all the right things for making this quilt. It is amazing. You make the whole process look so simple! This is one of my favorites of all your challenge quilts. I remember catching those frogs while growing up!

Cathy said...

Brava! You never cease to amaze me with your ideas and talent!

Vicki W said...

That turned out fantastic and I love all of your quilted motifs!