12/20/23

Sadie's Long Day

Good morning, my friends. It was a rather unproductive day yesterday. Sadie had to go to the vet, and that took up most of the morning. There was still time for some slow-stitching before we needed to leave. I stitched enough of the Kittens block to decide to move my hoop lower and start on the bottom half.


It was then we decided to round up this little kitty for her ride to the city. 


Here's what you need to know about Sadie: She was feral before someone trapped her and her two kittens and took her to the shelter where we found her. In the beginning, she was anxious and jumpy. Probably she survived her year or two as a feral cat because she has excellent hearing. I'm confident she could hear a pin drop even as a train passes by. She's also very strong...and she's attentive to what's going on around here. Possibly, she can read minds. She's also an escape artist, and with her small size, she's able to get into places from which she cannot be retrieved. She got left behind for a 5-day camping trip once because of that.

We used to close off the downstairs and the upstairs doors to limit the places she might try to elude capture. Lately, she's been enjoying her morning wrap-up in the quilt, and so we tried just leaving things open to avoid raising her suspicions. When it was time to get her into her crate, we carefully closed the doors, opened the crate, and then I donned my thick jacket to capture her without being skinned alive. We had a brief scuffle, but then we caught her and loaded her into her crate. All-in-all, an easy transition. She meehowled all the way into town, but then was a good girl for the vet. No biting and no scratching when they checked her over and gave her vaccines. We were home before lunch, and all is well. This morning, she seems back to normal, although she avoided us for the rest of the afternoon yesterday.

As for me, I've been dragging my feet making any reservations for our trip next Spring. I decided to reserve the first couple of weeks of our trip yesterday, and that meant I didn't get to my quilting until nearly dinner time. Fortunately, there wasn't much left to do. I was quilting the outward facing leaves, and there were six of them. I had them all finished in less than an hour.


Today's goal will be to get it squared up and the binding sewn on.


Here's a peek at the back. I've tried bumping up the contrast a little so you can see the quilting, but it's still barely visible.


Here's another shot. I'll be using that same dark brown fabric for the binding.

And that was my day. Thankfully, there were leftovers for dinner.

The week has been busy, and today is no exception. We'll be doing our grocery shopping, and the list is long. It's been about two weeks since we did a righteous grocery shopping trip. In the interim, I've been picking up necessary items here and there as I drove into town for one thing or another. There's no avoiding the Long List today. Sigh. After that, though, we're free and clear until next week sometime. The kids are making dinner on Christmas Eve, and I'm looking forward to that. All-in-all, the season has been relatively stress free. The week has been busy, but today is the last run-around day.

So I'll make a few more reservations today, but I'm hoping it will take less time than yesterday. After that, I'm determined to get the quilt binding sewn on. And after that, the Purrfectly Pieced quilt will have it's day being sandwiched and then quilted. Heartland Barns will be my 31st finished quilt for 2023. Can I make it 32 with Purrfectly Pieced? We'll see. 

8 comments:

Barbara said...

I've learned to look like I'm listening to long confusing plots of cartoons and comic books when I'm actually sound asleep or making grocery shopping lists in my head. ~ Patricia Heaton

Julierose said...

Love how this quilt is looking--so pretty!!
We did big shopping this morning
and I FORGOT laundry detergent???!!! How did I do that???
Will have to go back tomorrow--ugh!!
Hugs, Julierose

Sara said...

Poor Sadie! It was always a wrestling match to get our Sammy into the carrier too. He was 20-22 pounds so that was a big body fighting the process. The howling would go on all the way to the vet. And then he would go limp and be totally behaved while there. The vet always said what a sweet kitty he was. HA!! My nephew's wife is a vet, and she threatened to dissect him once when he was hissing at her. It was just like he knew exactly what she said because he was always polite around her after that.

Jenny said...

Going to a vet can be hard on any pet, and especially for for Sadie, with her feral start in life. Good girl for ni hissing and biting, and I hope you are forgiven by now for your part in her abduction.

Vicki W said...

Good work Sadie! Your quilting is looking great.

Kate said...

Glad that Sadie got a clean bill of health and that no humans were injured in her capture. Wow 31 finishes this year? That's awesome! Hopefully the grocery store trip isn't too bad and you'll get lots of sewing room time today.

piecefulwendy said...

Glad to hear all went well with Sadie. Love the colors in that fall quilt, and your quilting looks great!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

How traumatic for poor Sadie! I'm sure she's glad to put that ordeal behind her so she can go back to being such a good quality control quilting expert.