12/18/23

All Together Now

Good morning, my friends. I'm writing fast this morning. I need to take off in about two hours to get my hair cut. After that, I'm going to get some enlargements made for the next "When Quilters Gather" blocks. And then, I need to make a quick stop at the grocery store. We're not ready for our big shopping trip yet, but I need to pick up a few essential items so we can have dinner tonight. I know...hunger...it's a strong motivator.

Yesterday had me quilting more leaves as I make my way around the Heartland Barns quilt. There are 24 leaf blocks to quilt, and I've done ten so far. I did eight yesterday, and it didn't seem to make my wrist any worse. 


I tried to get a picture of how it looks from the back, but it's hard to see anything there. I do love that fabric though.


I'm not sure how much time I'll have for sewing today, but I'm hoping to get at least seven more leaves finished.

When I thought I'd pressed my luck far enough, I headed downstairs to the sewing room. Sadie was pretty comfortable where she was in the living room.


She indulged my need for a sewing cat, although she wishes someone would cover her up.


Remember the little cornerstones I cut the day before?


Here's how they look sewn into the quilt. I like how these turned out. I kept the cornerstones on the top while sewing them so I could see the stitching line.


When the blocks were all sashed together, they looked like this.


Then I added the first border...


And then the second...

And then I had myself a finished quilt top! It finishes up at 41 x 51 inches. This pattern is from Bird Brain Designs, and I've listed it for sale in my Used Pattern Yard Sale, there in my right side bar. I believe I have enough of the border fabrics to piece together a back. That will be on today's to-do list. I'll use the same striped fabric from the sashings for the binding when I get that far. 

So the day is pretty well mapped out. More quilting and a quilt back. If there's time (doubtful), I'll get to work sandwiching the next "small quilt" on my list for quilting...this one called "Purrfectly Pieced."

This one is small enough to quilt on my domestic machine. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Like I said, I'm writing fast. I still need to make breakfast, and then I'm hopeful of getting in a little slow-stitching time before I need to get ready to go.

So with that...I'm off. (You already knew that, didn't you?) Have a good day and a good week, everybody! 

12 comments:

Barbara said...

I have very short hair. It's the only cute haircut I think I've ever had. ~ Jamie Lee Curtis

Christi said...

LOVE how the Stitching Wisdom came together. You made some excellent choices!

Mary C said...

The cornerstones look great!

Sara said...

Poor Sadie - no one considers her feelings about snuggling under a warm quilt instead of having to snoopervise your sewing. LOL

Wow - love how that stripe sashing worked out. And the little cornerstones look like tiny pieced quilts.

Julierose said...

You are really making a lot of quilting progress!! Glad to hear you hand is okay with it!! Love that sashing with the redwork blocks...so pretty. Nice work...;)))
Hugs, Julierose

piecefulwendy said...

You are really getting quilts finished up, and they are all looking great! I really need a haircut; still haven't found a salon I'm happy with. Hope your outing goes well!

QuiltingBea said...

Finding that fabric for the cornerstones was positively kismet.

Vicki W said...

Oh gosh, those little cornerstones are like magic!!

Kate said...

Oooh, those cornerstones worked out really well. Love the red and black setting. Hope you get all your errands and chores done so you can get a bit of stitching in.

karen said...

Must be those cornerstones were made just for you.

Sadie! You make my heart go stop. When I see you all comfy and snug... makes me want to curl up, cuddle, and drag a book with me to read the afternoon away. Yum.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

The cornerstones are a perfect break that sets off all the red. I like it! You and Sadie did a great job.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Love your Bird Brain quilt top!