11/12/23

Saturday Sewing

Good morning, my friends. Things are looking up a little bit after yesterday's doldrums. Mike has located the source of the electrical difficulties in the fifth wheel. Now, he'll need to fix it. Sadly, it will involve removing the underbelly again. It should be easier than it was this past summer. The manufacturer, in its wisdom, used nails that had to be pried out with a screwdriver. When he put it all back together, he replaced all the previous nails with stainless steel screws that could be removed more easily. And thanks to those of you who left supportive comments. Misery loves company, and that helped.

It was still a slow morning. I was dragging my feet getting around. Eventually, I got to work quilting the Ties & Tails quilt. Smitty was my quilting helper. He helps control my speed.


He helped me stitch this cat...


and his bird. I like the birds.


Next was this tall cat. He was given toes like the rest of his kind.


And finally, the last striped cat. Here's where I'm not sure about that yellow thread. I've used it everywhere else, and so I guess it'll have to do.


That was all the quilting I did. I have to pace myself to avoid getting tendonitis in my left wrist. So, I left it needle down after stitching just a few patches of the desired motif. I think this will be fine for all the red squares. Today's goal is to try to stitch all the red squares. I'm not sure how much effort that will require, and so I'll have to exercise good judgment to protect my wrist. (Exercising good judgment is among the things I do least well.) On a positive note, I can turn the quilt sideways now so I won't have so much bulk sitting in my lap and dragging against the edge of the table.


From there, I committed to working on my art quilt for an hour. Sadie likes the selected fabrics.


When my hour was up, I was ready to quit. I'm happy with what I have so far, but the subject has yet to reveal itself. Sometimes it takes a while to see it when I'm doing these collage-type quilts. Here's your peek.


Any guesses?

So, I'll continue on with my quilting and my collage today. I have a little housework I should have done yesterday. (See above...dragging my feet.) I'm also starting a stuffed flank steak in the slow cooker. Who remembers when "crockpots" first came on the market? It was just before Mike and I were married. And the best cookbook on the market at the time was this one:


Here's a short stroll down memory lane: My mom was among the kindest most generous people I've ever known, but she had her limits. She really hated having people in the kitchen with her. She never really encouraged me to join her or to learn from her while she was cooking. When Mike and I married, I could barely boil water. And so a lot of our first meals came straight out of this book. There was one in particular for "Stuffed Flank Steak" that was elegant by my beginner's cooking standards. I made it many times, but then it fell off my radar for years...decades, probably. 

So, fast forward to sometime last week, and the old recipe popped into my head. Only, I couldn't remember it without the cookbook. Did I still have it? We got rid of a lot of old books, including cookbooks, after our plumbing disaster. I knew I'd held onto some, and so I was happy to find this one still on the shelf. Today I'm reviving that old recipe. I hope it tastes as good as I remember it. If it does, I'll share the recipe in tomorrow's post. I know...so exciting!

With that cliffhanger, I'm off to make some pancakes. I'm hoping for a more energetic day. What's going on in your world?

9 comments:

Barbara said...

I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then, I just ate. ~ Julia Child

MissPat said...

I still have that cookbook. I rarely use it now, since crockpot cooking for one is overkill.
Pat

mckie2 said...

I know the collage is still a work in progress but I'm guessing West Virginia. Its a nature-y place. Susan in NC.

QuiltE said...

Here's hoping the electrical fix is as quick as the diagnosis was, with those new screws helping to speed up the job. Hoping too, that you can still get away as planned.

That's a Me Too for THE cookbook!! Came along with my Rival Crockpot as a wedding gift, way back when. :) My fav recipe was "Bachelor's Stew". I still can't believe that I even tried it, as I detested any thought of stew, because of the way my mother made it. What a surprise when I discovered how good it really was.

Only problem ... somehow I have not only lost the recipe, but also the cookbook, and no matter how close I think I make it, I can't seem to get it right. arrgghhhhhhh

Anonymous said...

I was groaning for the two of you yesterday when I read about the damage from rodents. No matter how many traps are set, sealing any holes, etc., they find or make their own entries. I made spaghetti sauce for lasagna yesterday in our crockpot (a newer one as our old one would have been nearly 50 years old if it were still around). Nice to come home to that rich aroma after simmering on low all day. We're retired, but the crockpot still gets lots of use. Today I will continue hand quilting a hexagon quilt started about 50+ years ago by my husbands aunt. It was given as a quilt top to my sister in law a long time ago and I'm finishing it for her. It's a good project when its cool outside and I just want to watch/listen to telly as I stitch.... Deb E

Sara said...

Hopefully the electrical fix and the quilting on the kitty quilt will all go smoothly this week. I had that same old cookbook at one point. But then I married the pickiest eater on Earth, or so it seems. The last things I made in my crock pot (that he liked) was chicken and dumplings, and a pulled pork recipe. The best crock pot invention was the removable "pot" so it is easier to wash.

Kate said...

Fingers crossed that Mike was able to make a good start on those repairs, or at the very least get a good start on the part list. Hopefully your quilting went well and you spared your wrist. My Guy has the same cookbook, it was his mother's. I'm not sure if he's used it or not, I'll have to ask him.

Carol in Texas said...

I still have that cookbook too, Barbara. I’ve cooked many a recipe from it. I no longer have my first crockpot….it was a combination electric pot and ceramic liner. There was a photo of it in that cookbook….it was so handy because Mrs. Hoffman covered all sorts of crockpots on the market and told you of any adjustments needed for your brand. She was the crockpot expert. I too got rid of a lot of cookbooks…..one was The Joy of Cooking by Julia Child!!!! Talk about dumb! Now it’s a classic. There are a multitude of crockpot recipes on the web now so I don’t use cookbooks like I used to. I have a HUGE list of recipes I’ve bookmarked and will never get around to. I need to cull that list. Carol in Texas

Kathy said...

Hydrangea!