11/5/23

Fall Back

Good morning, my friends! Did you remember to fall back? I know the time change is hard on some folks. It has never bothered me, but I'll admit to preferring the falling back time to the springing forward time. Getting an extra hour to sew is never a bad idea.


It was a lazy day for us yesterday. We didn't even get dressed until around lunch time. I spent the morning working on my slow-stitching.


When it was time to stop, I moved my hoop to the right. That's where I'll pick it up this morning. There's still a lot to do on this. Once those green leaves are stitched, the rest goes pretty fast.


There was laundry to do. With my washer/dryer monitoring duties taking up so much of my time, I told myself I couldn't possibly do anything else other than sew. As excuses go, it's not a bad one. Smitty felt the same way. His time outside was spent considering all the mousies he was going to need to root out from under the fallen leaves. It's a little like doing laundry.


After considering his options, he agreed with me that sewing was the only reasonable choice.


My task for the day was to fuse the applique for the next two Whimsical Garden blocks. This one is set a little to the right because the applique from the block beside it will overlap some.


When the applique was finished, I added the borders.


The applique for the next block extends into the borders, and so I added those first.


And then, I fused down the applique.


And that seemed like a good place to stop for the day. Today I'll do all the top-stitching, and then I'll be ready to move along to the next thing. 

The "next thing" will be two-pronged. The next art quilt prompt has been announced. This time it will be "Patterns in Nature." I spent quite a bit of my morning yesterday sifting through photographs trying to decide on just one. I ended up choosing this one:


Oh...you're adorable. You didn't think I'd actually show it to you, did you? Yeah...February 1st. That's when you'll get to see it. Sorry. I know it's a long time to wait. These quilts are always time-consuming, and sometimes frustrating. And so I'll be instituting the one-hour rule, which says I am required to work on it for one hour. I can go longer if I want to, but I can quit after an hour if I'm tired of working on it.

And that begs the question...what will I work on for the rest of my sewing day? Well, this I can show you. It's time to quilt the Ties & Tails quilt. 


This is a very large quilt, and so it's going to take me some time. The only thing I know is that I'll be using yellow thread for this. Maybe it will be variegated yellow. I haven't decided for sure. Possibly I'll use some red. Maybe I'll use lots of colors. I'm in the probably-possibly phase of decision making. The back is yellow. No matter what, I'll probably use yellow in the bobbin, and that's as far as my decision-making has taken me.

While I was sewing, Mike stepped in to show me these two stickers that came with our Starlink apparatus. We have questions.


First, the Starlink "dish" is mounted high up on the roof of the house, so why exactly would we put any stickers on it? Are they intended to be in a window to announce to visitors that we have Starlink? And will we be paid for this bit of advertising? Questions abound.

And second...what about those five cats? I told Mike I was pretty sure it was a suggestion from the stars that we need at least three more cats. And if you ask me, that makes perfect sense. On the other hand, Mike tells me the "dish" gets warm when it's gathering signals from the stars and so, obviously, kitties would enjoy napping on its surface. But that brings me back to question one. If the dish is mounted high on the roof, would kitties be expected to climb up on the roof for their napping? Inquiring minds want to know.

Now, don't anyone go getting all logical by suggesting that the "dish" is portable. When we travel, it can sit on the ground, which would make it very convenient for kitties. In our case, Mike wants to mount it on a pole that will attach to the ladder at the back of the RV. Sorry kitties. You'll have to climb the ladder if you want to nap there. But, as we already know, Sadie has no problem climbing ladders

Okay, so it's Sunday morning. Time for our Sunday morning blueberry oatmeal pancakes. And then more sewing. Probably there's something else on the calendar, but I haven't looked. I figure, why spoil a perfectly good morning?

9 comments:

Barbara said...

Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground. ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Linda said...

Love your slow stitching. I keep mine ready to add to and it is amazing how a few minutes here and there adds up.

Anne-Marie said...

Fall back is my favorite time too. We've watched Starlink go over us several times--the very first time it was all still linked and very bright and we thought it was a UFO! We recently watched it go over and it was a dim belt of spaced lights. That cat quilt is cute. I'll look forward to seeing how you quilt it. And of course all your hand stitching is lovely.

Joni said...

Your pixelation looks like a fiddlehead fern. Can't wait to see what you do.
It is very foggy here, a perfect irish oats, stew and crusty bread kind of day.
Love your Whimsical Garden block.

Karrin Hurd said...

Gorgeous projects you are working on.

abelian said...

I will email you a very funny photo of an on-the-ground satellite dish that’s FULL of cats.

Thank goodness Fall Back happens automatically for our digitak devices, and I’m only left with one old clock, the range and microwave, and the one I hate - my elderly Subaru. Dot

Deb A said...

That cat quilt is adorable! It sounds like you have had a nice relaxing weekend.

Sara said...

The kitty quilt just made me smile. It's so adorable!!

Kate said...

Love your Ties and Tails quilt, it's such fun. I don't mind time change, but staying up that extra hour has proven difficult, I was ready for bed at 8 last night!