10/5/23

Winnemucca, Nevada

Good morning, my friends. We moved on from Ely to Winnemucca, Nevada, yesterday morning, and are we glad we did! We've stayed at this RV park before. It's fairly new, clean, and quiet. When I checked in, I had to wait for the woman to finish a telephone call, and so I snooped around their little gift shop. When I saw this, I knew I needed it. It's only my second shot glass of the trip.

When we awakened in Ely yesterday morning, it was to our neighbor's incredibly loud modified exhaust truck, created to be as loud as possible. And he started it up at 4:00 a.m. and let the engine idle for a full 15 minutes. Well. If we hadn't already decided to move along to Winnemucca, that would have been the clincher. We forfeited one night's stay there, but it was worth it to get a better night's sleep.

So, let's back up to yesterday's drive. It looked much like the day before. Driving across this part of Nevada, one might as well be on a different planet. There is almost nothing out here. We drove down arrow-straight roads, with only an upcoming ridge-line to break up the monotony.


On and on...


And on and on.


I amused myself with cloud formations.


Shortly after leaving Ely, we noticed this mining operation on the hillside. This is the Robinson mine. From what I can gather, they're mining for copper and gold.


As we neared the end of our journey, we saw another mining operation close to the town of Carlin. There is lots of mining in Nevada, and it seems to be mostly copper and gold.


We passed through the tiny town of Eureka.


This is one of those places where time seems to have stood still.


In our travels, we saw just one barn, although we saw plenty of open range cattle.


The area is so desolate that we saw only just a few abandoned homesteads. 


Apparently the homesteaders could see this land was no good for growing any sort of crop.


The last 80 miles or so of our trip into Winnemucca were on I-80 where we found a nice rest area. There were crabapple trees loaded with crabapples. It made me wish I had a bucket...and my canning supplies...and my jars...and everything else associated with making jelly.


Also, I noticed this sign indicating we were on the "California Trail." I forget there were other trails aside from the Oregon Trail.


This is a nice idea.


Here is the associated map, and you can see the stars indicating other historic markers.


Here's what it said about the California Trail:




Also, this sign indicating the road we were traveling is the Dwight D. Eisenhower Highway in honor of his being remembered as the "Father of the Interstate Highway System."


It was only another hour or so until we reached our final stop of the day. This tree is growing at our site and at all the other sites I can see. I don't recognize it. These little "fruits" are about the size of marbles.


A friend we used to visit had a tree with similar "fruits." If it's the same tree, they will eventually turn a color that makes them look like miniature apples. Maybe one of you knows what it is.

So, okay. We've had breakfast, and we're spending another night here in Winnemucca. We're just two sleeps away from home. Today we'll just have a day to relax before the big push (nearly 600 miles) to home. We'll spend the day reading, stitching, walking, and resting. I'll be starting dinner in the slow cooker soon, and then I'll spend a good amount of time slow-stitching my Kitten block. It's going to be a nice day. I hope y'all have a nice day planned for yourselves too.

9 comments:

Barbara said...

Like all great travellers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen. ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

we have forfeited a nights stay now and then too when we had horrible camping neighbors or for other reasons - it is usually worth it to loose the money. Beautiful land you are in can't wait to get back to it - maybe we can next fall?

Carolyn said...

They looke like choke berries.

Anonymous said...

The stories of the California Trail remind me of the wonderful old Gold Rush song, “The Arrival of the Greenhorn”. There are recordings, and the lyrics, online. The Humboldt is mentioned:

“ Until I struck the Humboldt, which I thought was nearly h—l;
I traveled till I struck the sink where outlet can't be found,
The Lord got through late Saturday night, he'd finished all around,
But would not work on Sunday, so he run it in the ground.”

Dot. (Sorry I’m anonymous today)

Barbara said...

Could the mystery plant be a crab apple?

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tTP1TcwLEwxNzJg9OJKLkpMUkgsKMhJBQBKzwbN&q=crab+apple&oq=crab+app&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqDQgBEC4YgwEYsQMYgAQyEAgAEAAYgwEY4wIYsQMYgAQyDQgBEC4YgwEYsQMYgAQyBggCEEUYOTIOCAMQuQEYsQMYgAQY7wQyCggEEAAYsQMYgAQyBwgFEAAYgAQyDggGELkBGLEDGIAEGO8EMgoIBxAAGLEDGIAEMgcICBAAGIAEMgcICRAAGIAEMgcIChAAGIAEMgcICxAAGIAEMgcIDBAAGIAEMgcIDRAAGIAEMgcIDhAAGIAE0gEIMzgwN2owajmoAgCwAgA&client=ms-android-tmus-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

karen said...

Ah, yes, the exhaust neighbors. Grrr! Lived next to them for over year. You know what they say about a man's loud exhaust.. they're making up for less in another area.
An Opera house in Eureka? Do tell! Class never dies. Perfect place for a quilt store. No? awwww
Dis heartened that my armchair vacation is almost over. It's been entertaining. Thank you.
Kittys thanks for inviting me along.

Sherrill said...

Oh gosh! I remember traveling through NV and those endless roads with only a rare car on the road. There were roads off the main road now and then but nothing that I could see at the end (beause I couldn't see the end). For a good part of the time, it was like we had the place all to ourselves..

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I suspect after the past couple of days of long, rather uninteresting, drives you'll be glad to head for home.

sue s said...

We traveled across Wyoming with the same exciting scenery. The only break was all the black angus cows. Hundreds and hundreds with no obvious roads or farms. I'm glad you've had a nice time.