10/29/23

Fungus Amongus

Good morning, my friends. It's another bright sunny day here at the three cats ranch. It's chilly too with a cold wind blowing. It wouldn't be so cold if it weren't for the wind. Yesterday was much the same. I was waiting for it to warm up a little while I worked on my slow stitching. I finished up the "Type Something Inspirational" block.


It was still cold out, and so I started the second of the two blocks. This one will take a few days, and then both will have borders added to them.


When I could put it off no longer, I went outside and picked a bucket of weeds. In my travels, I found the most interesting clusters of mushrooms. These are about the size of popcorn.


And these little wormy things are about the diameter of one of those tiny soda straws you get with a cocktail.


Also, our Japanese maples are making some progress on their fall colors. They'll turn even a brighter red within the next week or so.


And then it was time to get busy adding the borders to Jericho Walls. I really hate doing borders on a large quilt like this. It took the rest of my day, but I was determined to have them finished. First, I added a black stop border. I'll use that same black for the quilt binding.


Smitty showed up to help with the wider outer border. It's important to stretch before engaging in physical activity.


When he was warmed up and ready, we went to work.


He's very good at positioning himself on the ruler and fabric so that nothing can slip and move.


And finally, nearing dinner time, it was finished.


And let me just say...YAHOO!!! I really like how this turned out, but it's been kind of a bugger sewing it together. The on point setting was strangely confusing. I think the added complication of sashings and cornerstones made it so. And it's a monster at 73 x 89 inches.


I've already cut the binding strips. Today, I'll piece together the back, and then it will take its place on the pile of quilts "to be sandwiched." 

So today I'll pick another bucket of weeds, and then I'll get busy making the next block for When Quilters Gather. I showed it to you a couple of days ago. This is the photo from the book.


These go together in the style of Ruth McDowell, and so my first task will be to create a pattern I can work from. But now, it's time for Sunday morning pancakes. It's a good way to start the new week. And it's time to get going. Have a good day and a good week, Everybody! 

Oh yes, and by the way...today is National Cat Day.


Here, I've included some handy hints for ways to celebrate your cat or someone else's cat. You're welcome.






5 comments:

Barbara said...

Cats have a scam going - you buy the food, they eat the food, they go away; that's the deal. ~ Eddie Izzard

abelian said...

My cat Rusty does like his food, but also demands drinks from the bathroom sink, and a laser pointer session a couple of times a day. And an occasional brief purry lap snuggle - about 5 minutes and then he’s off. I envy your laps, which seem to get long snuggles. Dot

Kate said...

Jericho Walls turned out beautifully! I'm sure your Kitties feel very celebrated every day. Happy stitching this week.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Guess I'm a bit late in wishing Smitty and Sadie a very happy National Cat Day. I'm sure they would be most happy to celebrate for at least one additional day!
Jericho Walls turned out wonderfully...the grey fabric is perfect and somewhat unexpected. Those mushrooms look like fresh bread!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

That did tur out great. It would be confusing trying to get all of those cornerstones correct.