9/19/23

Quilt Shop: Quilters Inspiration; Grand Junction, Colorado

Let's do some shopping today, my friends. It's the first shop we've visited together this trip. Mike had some business to take care of in Grand Junction, Colorado, and it seemed like a perfect opportunity to take in a quilt shop...this one:


Here's how it looks as you approach the entrance. It was one of the larger stores I've visited.


We'd been traveling many miles, and so I started at the back of the store...you know...where the restrooms were located. Out in the store, the first room I came to was a colorful classroom. While I shopped a woman came in toting a pile of stuff. I had the feeling a class would be starting later.


Continuing on, I passed by this stuff for the Go! cutter. I'm not a Go! person, and so I have now idea what all this stuff is or how it works, but maybe you do.


Continuing along the back wall, there was a nice supply of notions.


And then, this table. All the fabrics here were 25% off. I gave them a passing glance. There was one I might have liked, but then I forgot to go back for it.


Moving on, they had some beautiful solids. 


Some patriotic fabrics.


There were plenty of kits if you're of that persuasion. Isn't this snail quilt cute?


Here there were some pretty landscape prints.


Some yummy stripes and polka dots.


Some southwest and food fabrics.


Rounding the corner, there were some cute sewing themed fabrics. I liked those red tomato pincushion fabrics on the left, but I need more fabric like I need another hole in my head. If I'd had a use for them, maybe, but I couldn't think of anything.


Look at these cute camper fabrics. I've used the one on the right in some quilts in the past. These were tempting, but again...I couldn't think of any projects where I might use them.


I'm always on the hunt for what my regional print will be to include in a Shop Hop quilt. I looked at these for a long time, thinking of the many black-eyed Susans we've seen on this trip. I decided against them, since they're really sunflowers. That one in the middle might have been okay.


Moving on, there was a panel of quilt labels.


And here's something I haven't seen before. These QuilTiles were magnetic, and you could arrange them to form quilt blocks.


I'm not sure why these fabrics were on a table rather than shelved, except possibly the shelves were full.


Hanging from the ceiling in the middle of the store was a row of panels.


There were more panels hanging here.


And more rolled up here.


I liked this cozy rag quilt. Since making a rag quilt a while back, I've been plotting my next one. I don't think I would do it so Christmas-y like this one, but it does look cozy with those snowflakes.


Here, there were Halloween and Christmas fabrics.


I decided on a fat quarter of the fabric below for my regional print. It doesn't photograph well at all. I gave it three tries with two different cameras. The camera wants to focus on the background and blurs the petroglyph subjects. It made me think of the pictographs and petroglyphs we'd seen at Dinosaur National Monument. So, I'm sorry it's such a poor picture, but I think you can get the idea.


There are other quilt shops in Grand Junction, but this one was rated highest on Yelp. It was a large store, spread out, and roomy. I complimented the woman behind the counter on the ample space for really getting a good look at things. She eyed me and then said, "Well, some quilters are getting up in age..." Who're you looking at? I thought. And she continued, "quilters come in with walkers and wheelchairs," and so she kept the aisles wide for everyone. The doors opened automatically too. I hadn't considered the needs of disabled shoppers until that moment, and then I considered some of the shops I've visited where I could barely see anything because of the cramped quarters. And all of that to say that this is a shop worth visiting if you find yourself in Grand Junction. It was an enjoyable visit. 

I'm hoping to visit another quilt shop here in Moab. I've heard that my usual quilt shop "It's Sew Moab" has permanently closed. Google would agree. Instead, there are a couple of new ones...one just down the road...and so I'll try to get in a visit there before we leave Moab.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

I just feel like I'm the luckiest person in the world being able to do what I love and be able to do it all day every day if I like, you know, I mean it's great, I love it. ~ Faith Ringgold

Christine said...

I do so agree with your comment above... It's like being a teenager all over again but without parents..
Looks a smashing shop. I always wonder how they make a profit when they carry such a large stock, must take months to make a profit on one roll of material.... Just thinking out loud.
Xxxx

piecefulwendy said...

Well, wow - that looks like a huge store! I like your choice of fabric; it's a cute one. I do like that snail quilt. (Sorry I'm so behind on commenting, we've had an unexpected death in the family, so all our focus has been on that.)

Jenny said...

I'm not a good shopper at all, and often get overwhelmed when there is too much choice. Older quilters with walking sticks, walkers and even mobility scooters would appreciate the space in this shop. Also appreciated would be a chair or two dotted around, some people have trouble standing for any lenghth of time - as I did after my back surgery a while ago. The trials and tribulations of getting older.

QuiltGranma said...

One quilt shop I've enjoyed visiting has fabric stacked in the isles so one cannot see what is on the bottom shelf! I've commented to her that I hope that the floor joists are strong enough to hold all that up over time.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

most people do not think of the needs of the disabled until they are a family member are. There were plenty of quilt shops I had to skip going into when my mom was with me as I couldn't even get her wheelchair to the door - or once in the door I had to turn the chair around and leave as I knew I wouldn't be able to get up and down the isles