8/29/23

Tomato Terminator

Good morning, my friends. You probably didn't expect to hear from me today. I'm happy to say the pasta sauce is finished!!!


My yield from 45 lbs. of tomatoes was 14 quarts. I was telling Mike this morning that it's a shame I didn't have one more jar. I could have set up pasta sauce bowling pins, and we could have had a game!

Smitty helped by staying out from under my feet.


No one is any more surprised than I am that I was able to finish it all in one day. It came down to the final decision on whether to make a third batch of pasta sauce, or put them away until today when I would have time and jars to can them as plain old tomatoes. Obviously, pasta sauce won out. The last 20 minutes or so of cooking it down into sauce consistency was torturous. It was tempting to stop and ladle it into jars, but I wanted it nice and thick. So I kept setting a timer for stirring every five minutes while I sat down and took a load off my aching feet.

So, it's done. Until next year. We'll see if I still have energy for it then. As for today, I'm getting a haircut, and then I'm giving myself an NBS day for the rest of the afternoon. I'll spend an hour on the latest Tiny House,


And then I'll get to work sewing together the mini. All the cutting is done, and so I can get straight to work with the sewing.


There's nothing else on the calendar. And right now, I have to be on my way. Have a good day everyone! I should have some sewing to show you for tomorrow's post.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

No one has a problem with the first mile of a journey. Even an infant could do fine for a while. But it isn’t the start that matters. It’s the finish line. ~ Julien Smith

piecefulwendy said...

I'd say you deserve a NBS day after all that work, but glad you got it done, and waited for that nice, thick sauce! Yum!

Sara said...

I'm sure you have a huge feeling of satisfaction looking at all those lovely jars of sauce.

Kate said...

Congrats on getting all the sauce simmered and canned. Hope you enjoyed your nothing but stitching day yesterday.

Julierose said...

Wonderful job making all that sauce--no wonder your poor feet got tired out:(((
hope you are enjoying your NBS time which is richly deserved;)))
hugs, Julierose

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I remember the feeling of satisfaction I used to have when I looked at jars all lined up after I'd spent so many hours in the hot kitchen. Now my pickling pretty much only runs to a batch of zucchini relish. Good for you for getting all those jars filled! You certainly deserve to be pampered getting your hair done.