8/26/23

Project Planning

Good morning, my friends. It's another hazy day today, and expected to get fairly warm. We ran our A/C yesterday, but we were able to turn it off and open the windows when we went to bed last night. I'm hopeful it won't get as hot as it was earlier in the month. 

There was a lot on yesterday's to-do list. Fortunately, most of it was finished up with my morning running around town. I'd missed my slow-stitching before leaving home, and so I started there after lunch, filling my hoop and moving to the next position.


After looking at the whole piece, I'm feeling confident I'll be able to finish this off before we leave on our trip. I'd rather not cart along any more project boxes if I can avoid it. And, yes, I could leave it at home, but it makes me weird, nervous, and thirsty to leave something at home unfinished.

The birdfeeders needed filling, but then I was able to get into the sewing room to finish off the top-stitching on Blocks 13 and 14 for My Whimsical Quilt Garden. This is Block #13:


And Block #14:


While I was sewing, I kept jumping up from my chair when another idea occurred to me about this Almost Amish panel.


Smitty was all ears.

How do you wish to purrceed?


Well, I remembered these little embroidery patterns I picked up from Chickadee Hollow Designs quite some time ago...years...maybe decades. They're tiny stitcheries intended to be made into Christmas tree ornaments, or jewelry...anything, pretty much.


Inside, the patterns are pre-printed and pre-colored. Each one measures 2-1/2 inches, which would be a good size for a cornerstone.


Also, I have these tiny button embellishments, purchased at the same time.


Momentarily, I considered taking the embroidered charms along on our trip, but then came to my senses, realizing I already have more embroidery than I can finish in a month-long trip. Doing the embroidered cornerstones will make this a larger project. "Quilter's Choice" projects are intended to be something I can finish fairly quickly. 

So, I changed my mind, and decided to give it its own project box. I'll add it to my list of embroidery projects when a slot opens up on my embroidery dance card. They might even qualify as a "short" project. Now it has its own labeled box. And you should know that when a project gets this far along, I mean business. Almost Amish panel, you're next.


Instead, I pulled this book from my shelf.


I've made at least one project from the book...this one that I called "Wonky Windowpanes."


Then, I flipped through the book, and decided on this one called "Charmed, I'm Sure."


It will allow me to use some of my smallest scraps, and it has an Amish appearance to gratify my sudden desire to make something in the Amish tradition.

When it cooled off in the evening last night, I took a walk around the garden. Most everything is bloomed out by now. The Edda clematis put out two more flowers in a last gasp before the end of its season. I love that dark purple color.


Across the way, the Firefighter put out a whole flower this time. 


This bumblebee appeared to be checked in for the night.


To its left, the Fuzzy Wuzzy dahlia continues to put out flowers and buds.


And despite being half eaten by deer, the Checkers dahlia is still putting on a show. I love this about the dahlias. They are the last to bloom, and so they are decorating the garden when everything else's season has come to a close.


I'm still waiting on this Bumble Rumble flower. It is very close. When I check this morning, I might find it open.


Looking under its down-turned head, I could see the flower center.


When I came upstairs to write this post, I left Sadie tucked in and snuggly. She loves this part of her morning.

There's plenty on today's to-do list. I'll start with my slow-stitching, but then I'll need to get out early to hoe some weeds. This is probably the last time I'll hoe the garden for the year. We still have corn coming, but most everything else is finished, or else I'm finished with it. We're still getting tomatoes in the greenhouse, but you know I have plans for those on Monday. 

Mainly, today will be a kitchen day. I'm making several things ahead for our dinner with Erik and Mae tomorrow. Mike is grilling, and I'll harvest some corn for a side dish. Today I'll be putting together a meat marinade and a finishing chimichurri. Also, I'm making Erik's favorite Seven Layer Salad and a macaroni salad I discovered recently. Dessert will be a plum torte, but that will wait until tomorrow. I'm giving the plums all the time they need for ripening.

Watching the news of weather in the midwest had me worrying about some of you. To my Michigan  and Ohio friends, I hope those tornadoes missed your area. And for the rest of you...just stay cool. We'll be in solidarity with you here in Oregon keeping ourselves cool.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability. ~ Sam Keen

Julierose said...

that blue flower is so brilliant!! Great flower blooms for you...
I like your stitching--those blocks are really coming along so well...
I am working (snailwise) on my redwork KS blocks...little by little--using a hoop for these and stab stitching for sure...hugs, Julierose

Pam Dempsey said...

Loving your beautiful dahlias and I need to try growing some next year! The little colored squares will be perfect for cornerstones, great idea! 😻

MissPat said...

The blue clematis is interesting, both color and shape. I think the Firefighter dahlia is my favorite. When I grew dahlias (all of 2 years), the deer usually left them alone, except one that got stepped on when small and another small one they ate the top off.
Those tiny quilts are definitely tiny.
Pat

karen said...

Oh ,Sadie, I just want to cuddle you to smoochieness. Umm!
In Michigan, in the lower west part,we had storms, but nothing serious. The power didn't even go out...amazing.
Went garage shopping (in my garage) Saturday. Talkabout project overload. Oy!
Found lots of stitchery projects (I have to live to be 436 years old), and some great fabric finds. Black doted fabric. Perfect for so many things.
Humming birds about ready to leave for the season. I'll miss them.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Are you sure you shouldn't tuck those cornerstones into the camper somewhere? After all, can't have a stitching emergency! (and yes, I said that tongue-in-cheek). I'm already getting antsy about not being able to take my knitting when we go out west next week. 11 days without knitting will be withdrawal time. I don't want to run the risk of the airline confiscating my needles because all we take is a carry on. If I had more than one set of the size I need I wouldn't worry about it.