8/22/23

Lots of Sewing

Good morning, my friends. I'm happy to say the smoke has mostly cleared, and we're able to see the mountains this morning.


The air quality was better yesterday, but still hazy, and the sky still a strange shade of yellow. The sun is up now, and we'll be breathing easier today.

The morning started with finishing off the "Find Matching Socks" stitchery. It still needed its borders.


There was just a little time left, and so I took the first stitches on the "Garden Glory" block. If I'm going to finish this one before we leave on our trip, I'm going to have to stitch fast.


In spite of the air quality, my first stop on yesterday's agenda was outside to hoe weeds and harvest vegetables. I picked about a quart of Sungold cherry tomatoes from our plant. We grow these in a pot up next to the house so that we can pluck them off the plant and eat them like candy as we walk by. They are so yummy with just some ranch or blue cheese dressing.


As I made my way to the vegetable garden, I noticed this little corn poppy growing in the pot with the gaillardia. We planted a mix of poppies. Mostly, they've been California poppies, but there have been a few stragglers of different varieties and colors.


This Red Sun sunflower was dazzling yesterday. The bees work their way around the center of the flower, moving in concentric circles and stopping at every single seed cell. It's fascinating watching them. And there are hundreds buzzing all around me when I'm in the garden...not aggressive at all. They feel like little fuzzy friends.


Another new one has bloomed. This is the Floristan sunflower.


Also, lots of corn is coming on now, and I harvested the first of it for last night's dinner.


Back in the sewing room, I finished sewing together the first of three Painted Ladies blocks.


And then I made two more.



Those were sewn together with the partial from the day before.


And then I sewed that row to the four I've made already. With the addition of the fifth row, the quilt is officially half done.


From there, I finished off the two blocks for The Story of my Day quilt. These are a bit of a puzzle to sew together, but the instructions are easy to follow.



And here are all the blocks I have for this quilt so far. There will be 25 when it's finished.


We were back to battling the "Z" force last night. (We took a few days off.) Last night's dinner was this Classic Zucchini Casserole. It polished off seven more zucchini. Yahoo! The zucchini was sliced and then fried along with some onion. Then it was mixed up with some seasonings and added to a baking dish, sprinkled with shredded cheddar and topped with a Ritz cracker crumb topping. It was very tasty!


Okay, so today I need to water the flower pots, and I have a couple of housekeeping chores. Also, I'm going to bake a blueberry zucchini bread recipe that landed in my email inbox. It uses whole wheat pastry flour. I happen to have a nearly full bag from when I thought baking lots and lots of bread was a good idea. I haven't given up on the bread, but I have taken a lengthy break from it. So, the bread will polish off more zucchini, but it also gives me an opportunity to use this specialty flour taking up space in my freezer.

When all that is done, I'll get back to my sewing. First stop will be to spend an hour on Tiny House #32:


Before I left the sewing room yesterday, I cut apart all the sections and left them protected with one of my rulers.


And that's the way it is here at the Three Cats Ranch. Apologies to Walter Cronkite. (Please tell me you're old enough to remember Walter Cronkite.) True story: When Mike was a newly-stamped high school graduate, he sailed from San Diego to Tahiti with his brother. (His brother was a navigator in the Coast Guard, and he got a gig sailing yachts to wealthy people after leaving the military.) They stopped off in Hawaii to pick up supplies, and while there, met Walter Cronkite for some reason. His brother had a framed picture of the meeting. Incidentally, he also had a framed picture of a meeting with President Bill Clinton from his days at the Bureau of Land Management. Phil was not a person who sought out meetings with celebrities. He just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Good old Phil. We sure do miss him.

Okay, so getting back to the way it is here...that's the way it is. It's time for breakfast.

10 comments:

Barbara said...

As anchorman of the CBS Evening News, I signed off my nightly broadcasts for nearly two decades with a simple statement: 'And that's the way it is.' To me, that encapsulates the newsman's highest ideal: to report the facts as he sees them, without regard for the consequences or controversy that may ensue. ~
Walter Cronkite

Mary C said...

Do you ever get insects or worms on your vegetable plants? If so, how do you mitigate them?

Sara said...

Another tasty looking Z dish. And your flowers and tomatoes look awesome. The heat this week is taking it's toll on my few flowers.

MissPat said...

Yes, I remember Walter Cronkite. My husband met him when Cronkite was the guest speaker at a fund-raising event in Brockport, NY. I vividly remember Cronkite's announcment that JFK had died.
I think I would have given up on the zucchini by now. I'm glad the corn has started before you leave on your trip.
Pat

piecefulwendy said...

Those little tomatoes look so tasty, and they are such a pretty color! All your stitchery is looking great. Yes, I'm old enough to remember Walter Cronkite, and I went to a commencement ceremony where Clinton was the speaker. I had more fun watching the Secret Service do their thing during the speech. Haha.

Jenny said...

I do enjoy seeing all your gorgeous sunflowers, the red ones in particular are stunning. I have to admit that I didn't know they came in all these different hues. Your Painted Ladies are moving along well, half way there, that's great.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the smoke is clearing….
Yes, I am old enough to remember Walter Cronkite, and, like another commenter, I remember his announcement that JFK had died. I also remember Chet Huntley and David Brinkley!
I love all of the Story of My Day blocks…I can relate to most of them…particularly the one about missing socks…definitely can relate to that one! It’s like they have a lottery to see which ones are going to run away together so a whole pair is now no longer in existence!!
Fresh corn…YUM!!! One of my summertime favorites! And that zucchini casserole sounds great…
Your ribbon trim on the Painted Ladies blocks really adds a sparkle!
And, from your post yesterday, I really like the patch you made to put on your jeans. What a great idea!!! I also wear jeans a lot, and this is a great way to make the favorites last a bit longer.
Sandra B
scb23229@yahoo.com

Kate said...

Glad you finally got some relief from the smoke. Your sunflowers are all so pretty, I really like the red ones. Hope you get in lots of hand stitching time this morning. I was trying to remember where you were going on this trip. Hopefully if it's south, the temps will moderate over the next couple of weeks. It's truly miserable in the southern half of the US.

karen said...

Yes, .. and that's the way it was. wish it were stll that way. Fake news! Forget it.
You are facinated by bees (me too) but my now facination is with the baby humming birds. They are so cute, and noisy.
Yesterday, when I mowed the weeds, I mowed through clover. I had some pretty agitated bees. Tried to mow around most of the clover. Do my best to let everyone live. Well, except the mosquitoes.
Glad Smitty is doing better. Sadie, you hang in there. Smooochies to you both.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Glad the air quality has improved. I'm sure the bees and the plants are glad too. Your sunflowers are spectacular..hard to believe there are so many different varieties.