8/16/23

Another Warm One

Good morning, my friends. We're expecting another hot day today, but then cooling fairly quickly overnight. I'll be happy to turn off the A/C, if we can. I was out early yesterday to water the flower pots and harvest vegetables. While I was out, I found Sadie sleeping in the house on her catio.


Back inside, I went to work on my slow stitching. I finished off the next "book spine" for the Shop Hop quilt


And then I took the first stitches on the Chat to Friends block for The Story of My Day. These are really fun to stitch.


By then, it was time to set free the cats for a bit. Sadie melted like tiger butter right away.


Smitty has had enough of the hot weather. He purrfurs the comfort of a cushy quilt inside the house.


I still had one hot job to do to make another batch of Tomato-Jalapeno Jam. That makes 9 half-pints for the season. 


There are still tomatoes in the greenhouse, although they're all green at this point. I'm hoping they'll ripen before we leave (in three weeks). If not, I might make up a batch of green tomato relish before we go. And I'm really hoping the farmers come through soon with some tomatoes for pasta sauce. That's a big job, and time is running out.

Okay, so the afternoon was spent in my freezer of a sewing room. I was bundled up in jeans and a sweatshirt to stay warm enough. I decided to make the mini quilt to finish off the "Fall Harvest" embroidery. It was five inches square when it was finished.


Then I sewed it to the embroidered block, and that was a finish.


Finishing this block was my goal for August's 


and so I'll link up there when the party starts at the end of the month.

And "Fall Harvest" was the last block I needed for this quilt. Here are all four blocks together.


I have just a bare bones idea about how I'm going to sew these together. I'll probably use the border design that came with each block pattern, using seasonally-appropriate fabric, and then I'll sash them together somehow. It won't be any time soon, but before I've passed on, hopefully.

It was time then to get back to the block I'm making for When Quilters Gather. Sadie consented to being my helper cat for this.


When she realized we were making this block in the style of Ruth McDowell, she was furious!

This is too much like papurr piecing!!! 


She stamped her fuzzy paws and left the room. Fortunately, I have more stitching cats to help out. Enter my heroic furry friend.

I'll help. Of course, it will cost you.


Okay, and so with his help, we were able to get this far.


Now I've finished the portion of the block inside the teal line. I'm hoping I'll have time to finish it off today.


As I'm making these blocks, I'm realizing I'll want to pay attention to how the ones in the book are quilted. If you look at that image above, you can see that fingers have been quilted into her hand, and the name of the block has been stitched into the upper left-hand corner. It seems a good place to start when I get that far...probably around five years from now.

I was getting tired of sewing by then. Mike and I had the same idea. We had dinner out last night. It's been a while, and we were bored with zucchini dishes. Think of it as R&R. We'll be back to battling the Z Force this evening. Don't you worry.

There was a pretty sunrise this morning, Our air quality was just terrible yesterday, but it's much better today.

We're heading out in a couple of hours. We have appointments to get RSV vaccines. I read this morning that the reformulated version of the Covid vaccine will be out next month. So far, we've stayed healthy through all of this, and so we'll just keep on keeping on getting whatever vaccine is recommended. We're hopeful the one today won't make us sick.

When we get home, I'm going to make up some component parts of a recipe I'm testing for America's Test Kitchens tomorrow. There are three parts to the recipe, and two can be made ahead. I can't share the recipe, but I'll tell you what it is: "Toad in the Hole." My mother used to make a version of "Toad in the Hole" that was completely different from ATK's version. She made a hole in a slice of bread, laid it in a frying pan, and then cracked an egg in the hole. It was a breakfast dish. The ATK version is a dinner dish. The recipe introduction says this:

Toad in the Hole is a British comfort food of seared sausages baked in Yorkshire pudding, akin to a giant popover, and served with onion gravy. The sausages should be well-browned and juicy. The Yorkshire Pudding should have a custardy, moist interior and a golden brown, puffy rim. For the gravy, the onions should be tender but not mushy and the sauce should be glossy, rich, and deeply savory.

Okay, well that's a new one on me. I'm curious if some of my friends in the UK have eaten this dish. It'll be on tomorrow's menu for us. I'm trying another zucchini recipe tonight, although this one includes chicken. The ones I've done up to now have mostly been vegetarian dishes, and we've lost a couple of pounds on our zucchini diet, despite the sweet breads, cakes, and bars.

All right. If we're going to get out of here for our vaccines this morning, I'd better get busy with breakfast. Have a good day, everybody. Stay cool out there. 

12 comments:

Barbara said...

When the weather is hot, keep a cool mind. When the weather is cold, keep a warm heart. ~ Ajahn Brahm

Julierose said...

Your Fall Harvest piece is so pretty... I love how the little quilt squares
just draw your eye about...Stay well hugs, Julierose

piecefulwendy said...

My sewing room gets chilly too, which I enjoy during the summer. We changed up the ductwork in there a bit, so it should be warmer in the winter. Your kitties are such good snoopervisors. Your projects are looking great!

abelian said...

When I was growing up, we often had an egg cooked in a hole in the bread, but we called it "gashouse eggs". I recently read that the name gashouse eggs came from a 1941 Betty Grable movie!

Years ago, we visited one of my husband's cousins in England, and they served us authentic Toad in a Hole, saying they wanted us to have a traditional English dish. It was delicious! Dot

Sara said...

I think the breakfast version of Toad in the Hole sounds much tastier than that ATK version. One of my favorites. The RSV vaccine is one we'll most likely get, maybe next month. I want to stay healthy too. Those tiny quilts on the embroidered pieces look fantastic.

Christine said...

Poor Sadie, what a hero Smitty.
Toad in the Hole.... My husband's favourite dish! He cooked it regular for years. Used to chop up the sausages but I always left them whole. His batter was much lighter than mine so I stopped wasting my time and let him cook it... enjoy
Xx

Jenny said...

The embroidered seasonal blocks with their mini quilts are so lovely, cant wait to see how you put them together. We sometimes make the egg in the hole version too, Robin often makes it on the BBQ when we are away camping with bacon for breakfast.

karen said...

LOL.. Sadie you . You are priceless. You have your ears so perfectly back and you look really mad! You two are so funny.

Vicki W said...

Our Brit friends are vacationing with up this month and Toad In The Hole is one of their favorite dishes to make and eat.

Lyndsey said...

Mmmmm Toad in the hole. Yep I cook it fairly regularly and it has been one of my favourites since I was a child. The Yorkshire pudding part is what makes or breaks this dish. Your paper pieced block is coming along well. Naughty Sadie, you aren't supposed to walk off when the gong get tough. Thank goodness for Smitty!

Kate said...

You made a lot of progress for just one day. The Fall Harvest blocks turned out beautifully. Your Quilting Ladies blocks are always impressive. Hopefully your weather starts to moderate soon. I think we are in for a few more days of the hot stuff here.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Fun to see all the Fall Harvest blocks together and I'm still in awe of how teeny those mini-quilts are.
Such an incredible sunrise, although it's too bad we have to have smoke in the air to get that effect.
Hope your shots go well and there's no after effects.