5/12/23

Quilting Complete

Good morning, my friends. It was a busy morning yesterday. Mike was trying to get the rototiller hooked to the tractor. It was causing him all kinds of grief. While he was fussing and fuming over that, I spent some time watering the flower pots. We haven't had to think about watering much lately, but we've had several dry days in a row. Now we're expecting record-breaking heat over the weekend. It seems the time for hoses has arrived.

Before anything like that could happen, though, there was slow-stitching. I mostly filled my hoop and then moved it lower.

While I was out watering, I took a picture of the blooming purple clematis. It's hard to get a good picture of it. It is behind two trees, growing on a trellis attached to a wall. The original owner of our house planted it, and it has always thrived in this spot, no matter how cruelly the weather treats it. It is the star of the garden right now.

The azaleas are getting ready to take their place as the stars of the garden. This one to the right, has its first flower.

And just look at the bleeding heart. I'm amazed it could survive the winter snow.

While I was out, I reminded myself that Mother's Day is just a few days away. Mother's Day has been our traditional day to purchase new petunia baskets. These hang at the corner eves of our greenhouse window. It's the only way we can have petunias that won't be devoured by hungry deer. We had grocery shopping to do, but our first stop was to select two petunia baskets. It's a sure sign that summer is coming.


We had groceries to put away, and of course, grocery shopping always earns us a nap. That means it was late in the day before I was able to get any quilting done. Smitty was there to add his drag to the process. He insists on being on top of whatever quilt I'm quilting.

I even gave him his own quilt to sit on, but that was not acceptable. How can he slow things down without using his ample body? Sheesh. Humans can be so thick sometimes.

Despite his not helping, I was able to finish off the last of the quilting.

Here's a little close-up of the quilting in the border. It's a feathery, swoopy, circling, mess of hooks, leaves, and spirals. It was fun quilting it.

Here's a peek at the back.

It was nearing dinner time by then. We dined outside for the first time last night. Chicken Caesar Salad was on the menu. Also, I picked up a bag of lemons at the grocery store and so there was homemade lemonade available. Mike made our favorite Kentucky Lemonade, which is just lemonade with a shot of bourbon. I'm not usually someone who drinks bourbon, but I like it this way. Cheers!

The kitties kept watch over things while we ate our dinner. We were purrfectly safe.

Okay, so today I'll get busy with the binding on the Dancing Chickens. I have some of that pig fabric from the back left over, and so I'll use that. When that is finished, I really will get started on my "Collage" challenge piece. 

Hopefully, Mike will be able to get his rototiller working today, and we'll be tilling up the garden in preparation for planting this weekend. Also, this weekend, Erik and Mae have invited us to dinner for Mother's Day on Sunday. It's going to be a fun and busy weekend. The forecast warm weather is just a welcome bonus.

11 comments:

Barbara said...

I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party. ~ Ron White

Quilter Kathy said...

Are you living in heaven?!? Hand stitched bees, beautiful blooms, Smitty snoopervision, machine quilting swoops and spirals, and topped off with Kentucky Bourbon... I mean lemonade? That sounds like my perfect day!

Anonymous said...

The quilting in the quilt border is amazing! It really finishes off the quilt nicely! You are in the home stretch now, with only the binding left to do….
I love the colors of the petunias in the hanging baskets!
Our azaleas are finished up, but I think they were prettier this year than they have ever been. The colors seemed much more vibrant, and the blooms lasted longer. We do have a few azaleas that are ever blooming so they should bloom again later in the season, but those blooms are usually not as prolific as the first time for the season.
Lemonade and Kentucky bourbon….yum!! It is one of our favorites for warm weather….
Sandra B
scb23229@yahoo.com

Soapstone Quilts said...

Your border quilting is especially gorgeous! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ it!

Sara said...

Looks like some really happy kitties surveying their kingdom.

Christine said...

Love the petunia baskets.... Especially the red and blue.
Enjoy your Mother's Day. We have Mothering Sunday in March... Goes back to the middle ages I believe.
BTW. Your Japanese Maples are Acers over here. Bit like your Andromeda is Pieris over here. I love the changes in language....

Jenny said...

Enjoy your Mother's Day dinner, Sunday is also the same day we celebrate Mother's Day here too. I know some countries (England perhaps?) acknowledge it on a different day.

Becky said...

Great job on the border quilting! It creates so much interest in that wide border.

Vicki W said...

Your quilting is beautiful and so is your garden!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, your quilt is amazing, and I love the quilted border. Great helper ;)

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Beautiful border to finish off the fun quilt.
We were shopping today for an old-fashioned fuschia for our balcony but they don't seem to be available anymore - they're all the double 'fluffy' ones that are really pretty but the hummingbirds don't like them. Never did find one, but did find a good substitute I hope.