3/5/23

Don't Forget the Red Hot Peppers

Good morning, my friends. Our snowy world continues. Yesterday things seemed slushy, and at least some precipitation was falling as rain. Mike felt it was worth the effort to load the blade onto the tractor and plow our driveway. He also pushed all the snow out of our breezeway. In the process, he noticed the heavy snow had actually bent the roof gutters in one place. This morning, we awakened to about another inch of accumulation. You might want to plug your ears for a moment: 

STOP!!!

Ahem. It's okay. You can come back now. We've been in this house for nearly 21 years, and I feel confident in saying this is the longest-running snow event we've ever experienced. Certainly, it was a good day to spend in the sewing room. Smitty accompanied me.


When he learned we were sewing on borders, he announced a new Quilting Cat Policy. He will hereafter snoopervise from his office in HR. "HR." That stands for "He Rests."


He called in our second-string quilting cat, Sadie. She gets extra treats for her border-sewing-on efforts.


She listened attentively while I gave her instructions.


We wouldn't ordinarily give extra treats for this, but we were sewing on borders. Borders are pawssibly our second least favorite part of sewing. Making quilt sandwiches tops the list. Knowing that, we bowed our heads in purr for strength.


Feeling furrtified and refurreshed, we went to work.


First, we sewed a 2-1/2 inch black border all around.


As I've mentioned, the second border was supposed to be sewn from a strip set of about 20 strips of multi-colored fabrics and narrow black strips. Here's how it looks on the pattern cover. And I was really loathe to make the border that way. 


 (This seems like a good time to mention that I've added several new/used patterns to my Yard Sale page. Take a look, if you're interested.) 

Well. I had in my stash some fabric I bought to use for bindings. I used it as a binding on the Sew Powerful quilted wall-hanging some time ago.


 I thought it would work perfectly for that border.


And so I went to work. Looks fine to me, and it was so much easier to do.


And then I added another black border, and my quilt top was finished. Ta-Da!


But I never consider a quilt top finished until I've also made a backing for it. I used this "Salsa" fabric to piece together the back for this one.


And then I cut binding strips from this fabric I used in the inner sashings.


After that, I called it a sewing day. The only other sewing I did was to make a little more progress on the Winter Wonder piece.


Today I'll get back to quilting the leaves, and I want to at least get started on the Road Apples quilt. This won't take long. It's a small quilt that can easily be done on my domestic machine.


Finishing Road Apples is my OMG for March. If I can get it to binding stage, I'll take it along on our camping trip next week and finish it on the road too. It seems appropriate, doesn't it?

Also on today's agenda, I'm making some biscotti...a special request from Mike. After all that snowplowing he did yesterday, he deserves a treat, don't you think? Pancakes are next. Time to get to it.

12 comments:

Barbara said...

They have hot peppers in Louisiana. Little red devils with fire in their skin and hell in their seeds. ~ James Street

Sher S. said...

Love the apple quilt. It's really cute. If you're gone next weekend don't forget to turn your clocks ahead an hour. You are making so much progress, I'm impressed.

Jenny said...

You are right, why would you bother making a teeny tiny pieced stripey border strip when a striped fabric would work just as good. I always like to get the backing and binding ready too.

Kathy said...

I like your borders for New Mexico Kitchen better than the original. Good Work! The hanging is wonderful.

Julierose said...

Boy I guess you've had Snow-mageddon alright!
I like how your Mexican piece is coming together...really a lot fo work on this one to do all the quilting on each block!! Just wonderful!
Hugs Julierose

Arrowhead Gramma said...

Read your blog every day though rarely comment. Just wanted to let you know that my area in the SoCal mountains is really having Snowmageddon which has been on the National news. We had 109 inches (yes, you read that right) at my location from February 22nd to March 1st. Our mountain has come to a complete standstill. Our roads have not been plowed and I have not left home in 12 days,nor seen another human being in that time. Fortunately well stocked with food and utilities have all stayed on. This wasn't on my bucket list but an experience of a lifetime.

Kate said...

Snow can be so pretty, but not when it's a constant thing. Hopefully spring is just around the corner for your area. You had just the right fabric in your stash for that border. It's a fun quilt. Enjoy finishing off your apple project.

CarolE said...

Such a fun quilt and the striped fabric was a perfect choice. And, yes, Mike deserves some biscotti!

Karen said...

Spring is just around the corner. Last week birds started making noise out side the windows. We've had cardinals and wrens, but yesterday spotted a small robin. And the skunks!
Still plenty of berries to eat for the birds at the crappie tree.
Love Sadies one white big whisker. It's cute.

Karen said...

Crappie tree.. Umm, that's crabapple tree, Thank you very much! What was spell check thinking. Grr!

CathieJ said...

I would love to see some snow, but maybe not as much as you've been experiencing. We had our third dusting last night, but the snowstorms missed Long Island this year. I love how you used that colorful striped fabric to make the perfect border for that quilt. Winter Wonder is looking good. Smitty and Sadie look like they are enjoying their jobs.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I would say that striped fabric is perfect to finish off that fun quilt. I'm all for making things as easy as possible.
Wonder if we were all to plug our ears and yell 'stop' if it would make winter go away? We can but live in hope. I suppose though it's a good thing we don't live in California right now.