2/28/23

Snow Sewing

Good morning, my friends. Good grief. Are you tired of snow pictures yet? Well, buckle up, because misery loves company.


We were supposed to have left on a camping trip to Cape Lookout yesterday. When we read the tea leaves last week, we decided to reschedule for next week. Now I'm starting to wonder if we'll be able to get out of here then. It's right at 32 degrees this morning, and still snowing. The kitties and I have not been outside the house in nearly a week...except for one jaunt into town on Saturday. Mike has been out only to fill the bird feeders. (He's the only one with appropriate footwear for knee-deep snow.) The kitties have each ventured out for less than one minute. They're both pretty bored.

Smitty is helping me write this morning's post.


By "helping," I mean "hindering."


We stitched the final two squares of inchies yesterday. On the left is fly stitch. On the right is stem stitch.


With all the squares stitched, we'll be filling in the rest of the design for the next day or two. I've already peeked at today's "assignment." It is to stitch time in a bottle there on the right side.


All the snow has ignited my inner baker. I had an overabundance of frozen blueberries and buttermilk, and so I looked for a recipe that used both. I ended up baking this Buttermilk Blueberry Bread.


Look how pretty that is when we cut into it. It's very tasty too. Usually after lunch, we each have a little cup of espresso. Ordinarily this is accompanied by a piece of chocolate. When I bake something like this, a slice of bread replaces the chocolate.


Okay, but enough fooling around. It was time to get busy on the leaves again. There wasn't much room for anything, and it was complicated further because the two parts of the leaf were separated by the long skinny leaf in the middle. When I moved from one part to the other, I left long jump stitches to avoid having to cut thread every time. For the first one, I just echoed the shape of each part of the leaf.


For this next one I tried a miniaturized version of McTavishing, but it didn't work out very well. I ended up filling in the gaps with some pebbling.


For this next one, just a straight-line grid. I kind of like the looks of this.


And for the fourth one, another grid of wavy lines.


I might have done more, but I'm liking this four-leaves-per-session schedule. Also, I really wanted to get back to the New Mexico Kitchen quilt. Sadie was excited to work on this quilt too. Taco chips, you know. And cheese.


So, I picked up with the fourth block.


The second row was sewn together in pretty short order.


When I sewed it to the first row, it looked like this. Everything is square, but it's hard to hold the camera level when I'm holding it at arm's length.


Okay, and then row three:


I wanted to sew rows 3 and 4 together before sewing them to the top half of the quilt. Laying it out with the rest, it looked like this.


Finally, row four was finished. It went together pretty quick.


And then I was ready to sew all the blocks together. Ta-da!


It still needs borders, but I probably won't make any more progress today. Today, I'll be working on Tiny House #7, which usually takes up the whole of my sewing day. Also, I want to finish off four more leaves. 

Today is laundry day, and it's also my day to walk. I guess the treadmill it is. I may never be able to walk outside again, but I'm not yet ready to declare Snowmageddon. Fingers crossed we get some warming soon.

Okay, my friends. Time for me to stitch time in a bottle. I see nothing but sewing and laundry in my future. I suppose it could be a lot worse. We're warm and dry, and we have food to see us through. Don't call out the national guard just yet.

10 comments:

Barbara said...

Women with a higher intake of berries appeared to have delayed cognitive aging by 2.5 years. So it's like your brain is 2.5 years younger if you're eating berries. ~ Michael Greger

Julierose said...

Your inchies are coming along so well--nice work. You are getting a lot of "snow sewing" done!! We had 4" overnight --not going out there as we are still in recovery from covid--the darn thin is stubbornly staying with us...hoping to feel better soon--I had to cancel a hair appointment--and you know how we hate to do that!! I am looking so flat headed and straggily--ugh!!
Hugs, Julierose

Nancy said...

The more I see of the New Mexico quilt the more I like it. You almost tempt me to find the pattern and make one since I have a grandson living in New Mexico currently. Almost but not quite. I currently have too many projects on my list. He actually wants me to make him a PNW quilt. I had already made one with the Portland bridges, now I need to make quilt that will most likely pull in the colors or the NW.

We are melting nicely at lower elevations and have not had any new snow today. We are still not in the 40’s so I am not going to call it warm. But at least we are melting. It just takes a while to get rid of that much snow. We had over 8 inches where it was not drifted. Right across the Columbia they got 11 at the airport so I know we probably had more because the drifts were a foot and a half and some were 2 feet deep.

Lyndsey said...


Your photos of snow are making me cold and worrying me a little as our weather forecast is threatening snow here next week. As you say a couple of days is fun but beyond that snow loses its allure. I love the Mexican quilt, so bright and cheerful, perfect for the weather.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'm going to have to try that bread when I get back home. It's snowing in Alaska today (tomorrow, too).

Karen said...

I'm with Nancy. The more I see of the quilt, the more I like it. It's co!orful. The stripe sashing is what really makes me smile. If course it wouldn't be as cool without all the help you are receiving.
How do you remove kitty hairs? I use a roll of tape. Any better way ?

Emma's Daughter said...

The blueberry bread looks and sounds delicious. I’m going to try it this weekend. Hello to the two kitties.

kc said...

Mmmmhmmm, love me some blueberry bread! Yours is so pretty! I often splurge and add a wee bit of a lemon glaze to mine...makes it disappear in a flash! That snow is pretty...pretty darned tiresome by now I bet!

That fly stitch is really pretty. How did you make the center of the box blue, with those cool blue circles? Is that paint, crayon, Portland magic?

piecefulwendy said...

Those little inchies are filling in quite well! Your New Mexico quilt is so colorful and fun, makes me want to visit Santa Fe again!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

The New Mexico quilt came together perfectly - such fun to see something so colorful as we hunker down awaiting the predicted snow storm that's heading our way.
And it's such fun to see all the different designs you're coming up with to finish those leaves.