2/20/23

Mostly Quilting

Good morning, my friends, and a Happy President's Day to you. Did you know it's also National Cherry Pie Day? And it just so happens that I have a single refrigerated pie crust that needs to be used. Also...many jars of cherry pie filling. What's a person to do? Well. I know what I'll be doing, and I'll feel downright patriotic as I'm doing it. 

But let's just back up to yesterday morning, shall we? Of course, there was an inchy to stitch. This one was all backstitch and French knots.


Today I'm thinking of making up another embroidery project. These stitch up so fast, and then I don't have anything else to stitch even though my fingers are itching for more. There's a new project on my embroidery dance card when the inchies come to an end, but I'm thinking I'll start it now. It's a series of seasonal wall hangings from Kathy Schmitz. I really like her patterns for the variety of stitches they include. I'll be starting with Winter, since that's the season we're in. Here are all the patterns in the series.



I bought these patterns way back in 2015 when I attended the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show with my friend Lenelda. It seems like it's about time to stitch them, doesn't it? They're all blackwork with a paper-pieced tiny quilt to be included as part of the design. Mine will be sewn into a single quilt eventually, but I'm still mulling over whether to do the outer borders included in the pattern. I might decide to sash them differently...perhaps seasonally...but I'll figure that out when I have all four stitched.

Okay, but let's get back to yesterday...again...not that I'm easily distracted by new projects, or anything. I went to work quilting the Dream Big Leaf. The center leaves were all quilted the same. There's less freedom in this panel than there was for the dahlia panel. With the veins on the leaves so prominently featured, I feel as if I need to stitch them to keep them out front and obvious. When I'd finished quilting the center I took it off the machine to have a look.


Here's how it looks from the back:


Then I stitched the second layer of leaves. Some of them are filled in somehow. This next one was a hooking meander.


For others, I stitched in the veins, and then filled in between them somehow.



Here, I came to a screeching halt. Think of these as the paws that refresh.


So, I had to love him up a little. When he was satisfied, I continued on.


You can see that the next round of leaves (above the stitched ones in the image below) shows the veins less prominently.


I'll have a little more freedom of movement there, and I can do more than just stitch the veins and fill in between them.


When I finished the second layer, I'd had enough quilting for a single day. Here's how it's looking so far.


I took a picture of the back, but it's almost impossible to see the stitching. I might have better light today. So I'll continue around with the next layer when I pick it up this afternoon. As I move from the center to the outer edge, the rounds get larger, and so one will probably be the day's limit. 

There's plenty to keep me busy today. Of course, I'll be baking a cherry pie. It's almost mandatory, if you ask me. And us sitting here with an unopened carton of vanilla ice cream. Well. I rest my case. And, I'm really wanted to trace out the embroidery design mentioned above. There's quilting, and then the newest Tiny House has also been released. I'll probably hold off a day or two on the Tiny House unless inspiration strikes like lightening. It'll have to be lightening if it's going to drag me back into paper-piecing purgatory again. They are kind of fun, though...when they're finished.

All right, then. Breakfast awaits. If you have the day off, soak it up. And if every day is Saturday at your house, as it is here, then get moving. Your hobbies await your return, and they are taskmasters.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Nature will bear the closest inspection. She invites us to lay our eye level with her smallest leaf, and take an insect view of its plain. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Christine said...

Wonderful quilting. It looks almost natural, perfectly filled in.... Mind you I am an amateur but, I know what I like!!! Lol
Enjoy your pie..... I'm having pancakes tomorrow. Not your thick American kind, nor yet the French crepes.. Good old English ones smothered in lemon juice and sugar..
Xxx

Quilting Babcia said...

The Dream Big leaf is going to make a great Christmas/winter quilt. They look like fun, though I don't do much FMQ anymore - eyesight issues. Love Smitty's daily takeover of your sewing! He does know how to live dangerously!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

But...but....you don't like paper piecing and yet here you are, starting another project that will require it. Methinks you are being assimilated into the Paper Piecers Anonymous group. Sneaky buggers, they are.