1/27/23

Vintage Linen Blocks Complete

Good morning, my friends. As you might expect, not much was accomplished yesterday. It was a grocery shopping day, and that takes all the wind out of my sails. It was well past lunch time before we had everything put away. Naps were next on the list. I can't seem to go out among The English without taking a post-trauma nap.

Before we embark on a grocery shopping expedition, some slow-stitching helps to soothe my pre-frazzled nerves. I stitched enough to move my hoop lower.


After napping, I finished off the last block for the Vintage Linens quilt. Smitty was there to help. He's a very dedicated helper.


This one didn't quite work out like the others. The embroidery was at the end of a dresser scarf with a scalloped edge. I've cut all the embroidery pieces in a pentagon shape. The bottom of the pentagon in this case had to be cut to avoid the scalloped edge, which meant that side of the pentagon was rather short.


It was hard to hold onto the pentagon shape. It wanted to end up in a diamond shape. I kept cutting off the point at the bottom as I went, trying to straighten it into a fifth side. It's good enough as it is. I can't quite finish it off because I need to stitch a decorative stitch around the center embroidery piece. Pfelicity Pfaff doesn't have the same stitch I've been using with Big Bertha, and so I'll have to wait for her to come home. Today marks two weeks plus one day since I left her at the spa. I'm hoping we'll be able to pick her up today. So far, no one has called. I'll wait until they open and then call them to see what's up.

Here are all the blocks I have for this quilt so far.


There is one other block where the point at the top of the pentagon ended up a little too close to the top of the block. You can see it in the middle of the grouping above. When they are all sewn together it won't matter. 

It was nearing the end of my sewing day by then. Next up on my WIPS list is to make three more blocks for the Shop Hop quilt. For that, I need to embroider the names and places, and so I traced them for stitching as my last act of the day.


This morning, I'll start there. I'm hoping I can get them all finished, and then get on with my block-making. If not, I'll do the next thing on the list, which happens to be the next barn block. Here are the two I have so far.


There's always plenty to keep me busy in my sewing room. I suppose I should do some housework today too. 

Thanks to everyone who chimed in to encourage grocery shopping exercise over treadmill exercise. I took your excellent advice and pointers and then almost literally ran with them. I'm the person you need to watch out for as you round a corner. You might get run over as I speed through the store. Mike has taken over pushing the cart since he retired. It's probably safer for my fellow shoppers.

As you might guess, there's more sewing on today's agenda. If the weather cooperates, I might get out for a walk. As I'm looking out the window, I can see it's foggy, and not looking very inviting. Breakfast is sounding good though. I guess that's next on the list. Enjoy your day. We'll chat again tomorrow. Hopefully, Big Bertha will be home by then.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new. ~
Tony Visconti

Julierose said...

Hahaha on shopping cart racing!! I used to be the star racer but since my sciatica and back problems I use the cart to help me traverse the whole store--I am getting faster though (darn those people who stop in the MIDDLE of the narrow aisles!!)
I really love your pentagonal blocks--what a super idea to feature all those embroideries...hugs, Julierose

Sara said...

Your embroidery pieces with the strips around them has me thinking of doing something with some of the many vintage linens I have tucked away. Thank you for the inspiration!

I noticed that 2 of the quilt shops on your label are places I'm hoping to visit in the next 2 weeks. We plan to drive (from SD) to Tucson to visit some family. I've been noting shops and interesting places to visit on the way there and back.

Cathy said...

Since grocery shopping is so "unfun", have you considered grocery pickup? I use our local Kroger. You put in the order online; choose your pickup time and pull into the parking lot and they bring out the order and load it in the car. Works great for me!

Astrid said...

Pretty embroidery blocks/quilt. You inspire me to take a look at the vintage linen I have from my late Mom. Grocery shopping; I can't say I hate it, but I don't love it either. Being out shopping, yes, a nap is needed for me too!

piecefulwendy said...

I hope Big Bertha is with you now. A friend brought her machine in and was told 3 weeks; I need to bring mine in, but three weeks! I'll need to plan around that. Your grocery store shopping makes me think of a funny one I experienced, so I'm grinning. I need post-outing naps lately too - what is up with that?

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Hope Bertha is home by now - it always feels like we're missing an arm when our machines are at the spa.
Re the off-center aspect of the flutter-bye, perhaps you could add a piece of lace to the edge to balance it out, but I don't think it's going to matter in the grande scheme of things.