1/15/23

In A Bind

Happy Sunday morning to you, my friends! It's a pancake day here at the Three Cats Ranch. Given the egg shortage, I might have to go looking for an egg substitute one of these days. At our last shopping trip, I was able to get the last two cartons of eggs on the shelf. I haven't looked since, but I'm reading about the shortage. Geez. How can we live without eggs? It's eggciting to think about, isn't it? (Did you see what I did there?)

Yesterday morning I decided it was close enough to Valentine's Day that I could put out my Valentine's Day runner, table topper, and wall-hanging. We're almost never at home in February, and so I rarely get to see these. Of course, I started with the little Stitches from the Heart wall-hanging I finished just recently. You can find the free pattern for this one right here.


On the table, this one called "Heart of the Home." The free 9-patch heart block pattern is available right here.


Finally, this quilt-as-you-go runner. You can find the free pattern for this "Be Mine" quilt right here.


A couple of years ago, I turned this into a St. Patrick's Day runner. I can see all kinds of possibilities for turning this into a runner for any season or holiday.


Okay, but enough of this holiday stuff. It was time to finish off my quilting. I was just getting started quilting around the outer border. It took about an hour's time, and then it was ready for binding.


Smitty did his part by sleepily guarding the stairs leading to my quilting machine.


When it was finished, I took it downstairs for its picture. Again, it's hard to see the quilting, and so I've messed with the brightness and contrast to make it visible.


I used this "apothecary" fabric on the back. It was in my stash for a long time, and it had the right colors, so I used it. Do you ever buy a fabric you love, and then have a hard time using it? This was one of those. It falls under the heading of "Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time," which should not be confused with the heading of "What Was I Thinking?"


We were still expecting the guy to show up to finish off the basement baseboards. I had some lunch, took a nap, and then learned he wouldn't be back until Monday. So Mike helped me put the sewing room back and set up my travel machine. There's no way I'm going a whole weekend without sewing. So with that done, I could sew on the binding.


I was trying out a new recipe in my Dutch oven last night, and so I got that going, and then went to work on my binding. Before I quit for the day, I'd turned the first corner.


Smitty was my sad solo quilt inspector yesterday.


Regarding dinner, I tried a new recipe for Brown Stew Pork Shoulder. This turned out to be really tasty. It makes the most delicious broth. I was really glad to have some crusty bread for dunking.


The meat is first marinated/rubbed with a combination of worcestershire, brown sugar, allspice, salt and pepper. Then it is browned, vegetables and seasonings added, and then it simmers for two hours until the pork is fork tender. It was easy enough to put together that I'd be willing to make this in the RV. You can find the recipe right here, but if you're not able to open it, you can email me, and I'll be happy to send it to you. My version was changed just slightly. I couldn't find a pork shoulder that was smaller than 11 pounds. Since I only needed two pounds, I settled on a pork loin roast, which worked out just fine. It was probably a more tender cut as well, although I'm only guessing about that. Also, I used half the amount of dried thyme. There was no way I was going to walk out in the pouring rain to get some from the garden. Hmph. My tolerance for rain has its limits.

Okay, so I'll continue with my quilt binding today. If I get tired of that, I'll start sewing one of my quilt tops together. I'm still not sure I've forgiven the Pieces of the Past quilt for being such a bugger to finish, but it would be next on my list of about a half dozen. I might enlist Mr. Random Number Generator to help me decide.

9 comments:

Barbara said...

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though s/he knows that you are slightly cracked. ~ Bernard Meltzer

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara: Can you send me the recipe? I have a small pork loin in the freezer and am tired of my old and true recipe for mustard crusted pork loin. Thanks, patty9308@att.net

dgs said...

Great point about searching for egg substitutes, given the egg shortage. I lucked out and bought 2 dozen at Costco. Even when we departed the store, the guy checking as we exited was surprised we found eggs in stock. That was a wake-up call. I now wonder how long egg substitutes last and what else might be out there that would last a while. We too love our eggs.

And thanks for the reminder it is time to put out Valentine's decorations. I love yours. Lastly, thank you for the recipe which looks yummy.

Astrid said...

The Heart WH turned out so pretty. Love your VD table runners too and great idea make a St PD table runner using the same pattern. Congrats on finishing the quilt! I love it! OOOH! That cute quilted cat! It looks like Smitty doesn't like that cat on the quilt! :) I love that you have used variegated thread for the quilting, it's so striking. Love the back too, and yes, I have fabric I can't cut into because it's too beautiful! lol Can't believe there's shortage of eggs! Heard the same from New Zealand, I think it was. Still plenty here. Happy quilting week!

Sara said...

Your quilting shows up really well and looks great. I'm not sure if I'll bother with getting out my Valentine runners and such, as we'll be gone the first half of the month.

We really haven't seen an egg shortage locally - yet anyway. It has been strange what products seem to come and go in the stores. I had trouble finding kleenex right before Christmas, except in the little square boxes. Now it's back on the shelves.

Cathy said...

I just love all your quilting on the black fabric. It really gives it an unusual “spice”. Speaking of spices, I’d love that NYT recipe for pork in the slow cooker. Sounds ideal for a winter evening. The Washington Post had a couple interesting (and downright unnerving) articles today about the egg shortage and avian flu. We’re most likely going to be experiencing egg and poultry issues for awhile…

Kate said...

The quilting turned out beautifully! I really like that apothecary fabric. Yes I have some of those fabrics that I still love, but they've been hard to use. I've started using some of those as backings too.

piecefulwendy said...

Your quilting looks great, as usual, and I like all of your holiday themed quilts. It's time for me to change out my quilts and get the few Valentine's themed ones out. Or make more - LOL

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I really do like that quilt. You've found the perfect binding fabric to finish it off too.