1/13/23

An Unplanned Outing

It's Friday, my friends. Good morning. The week is almost over. The workers will be here today with the new custom-built baseboards for the basement. I think our project is actually going to get finished within the next week or so. Today, they'll just be painting. Next week sometime (one presumes), they'll be back to finish the installation, and our basement will be FINISHED!!!!! It might be too much to hope for, but all my fingers are crossed. And since I didn't get my haircut yesterday, my hair is crossed too. And since I didn't get my haircut yesterday, I, myself, am quite cross. Allow me to explain. It's a round-about story.

Well. First, I did my morning slow-stitching, paying careful attention to the clock because I had the timing all worked out in my head. I needed to make breakfast, and then I could stitch until 8:00 a.m., at which time, I needed to be in the shower. My planned departure time was 8:30. I needed to get fuel before heading north for my 10:00 a.m. appointment. So, I stitched for as long as I could, finishing off all the leaves. And let me just tell you, those took positively forever!!! (This seems to be my day for exclamation points.)


I had just enough time left in my morning to move the hoop to the final position.


From there, I got ready to go, and literally had one foot out the door when I received a text from my stylist telling me she was sick and needed to reschedule. Well, I can't blame her for being sick. It's not COVID, but in these COVID times, one can never be too careful. So, that was disappointing. I usually go six weeks between haircuts, which is stretching it. Now, it's been ten weeks since my last haircut, if that gives you some idea how badly I need a haircut. So, it's rescheduled for next week. 

As I mentioned yesterday, I'd gotten out of bed at 4:30 a.m. With the haircut canceled, I went back to bed for a while. Sheesh. What would you have done? When I got up, Mike suggested we go out for lunch. We were both kind of bored. I decided first to finish off the last of the stitching on my Joyful Journey piece. It seems as if I've been working on this for a long time, and so I wanted to put it out of its misery. I took it downstairs and pressed it for its picture.


Wait you're finished already???


Yes, thanks for the help, Buddy. Here are the four blocks I have for this quilt so far.


Since we were going out for lunch, it seemed like a good idea to pack up Big Bertha and take her in for her annual spa treatment. Her "annual" spa treatment has stretched into a "bi-annual" treatment. Those sessions have gotten pretty darned expensive!!! (There I go again.) So, we dropped her off, and then had lunch at a nice little cafe we like. After that, we picked up a couple of things at the grocery store we couldn't get a few days ago. Also, we were at a different store, and we still were unable to find any wax paper. It's a strange thing to find unavailable, and I only go through a whole box every couple of years. Still, two stores now have been barren of wax paper. Weird.

From there, we headed for home, where Smitty was waiting to find out what our next project would be. (Do you suppose he sat there the whole time we were gone?)


With his help, I traced out the first two of 25 blocks for my new project, "The Story of My Day."


The first block is hooped up, and that's where I'll start this morning.


Sadie was no help at all. She's found her new favorite place on Mike's lap. Even if her sewing helper duties have gone begging, she's honing her skills as an excellent lap-warmer cat.


And here's some exciting news: Crabapple Hill Studios is doing yet another "stitched inchies" (that's my name for it) project for International Embroidery Month in February. This will be the fifth year. I've participated each year, and it's one of my favorite stitch-alongs. Here are the four quilts produced from past years. This one from 2019:


This one from 2020:


This one from 2021 was done a little differently.


The project from 2022 was done quite a bit differently. Mine was done completely differently from the original design.


This year's project looks as if she's returning to something more like the first two years, but I've only seen little peeks on Facebook and Instagram. Yesterday, she published the supply list and floss colors. (The pattern will be available on her website soon.) Smitty helped me rifle through my stash looking to see if I had the right colors. I had all of them. 


Some of these were pilfered from some floss kits for other projects. Hopefully, I won't use all the floss, and I can return them to their kits when this newest project is finished. I'm substituting one DMC floss for her preferred Cosmo since the two were nearly indistinguishable. 

So that was my unplanned day. Today I'll get back on track. There hasn't been any quilting since I quilted the line drawings a few days ago. Probably, I needed a little break from it, but I'll get back to it today. I'm looking forward to starting a new project this morning, and that's where I'm heading next...right after breakfast, that is. It's Friday the 13th. Be careful out there.

13 comments:

Barbara said...

You’re only as good as your last haircut. ~ Fran Lebowitz

Sara said...

I know what you mean about needing a haircut. Every 4 weeks for me. My hair was white by about 40, but had a white "streak" already at 30. So I dyed my hair, and would have a LOT of white roots showing by the end of that 4 weeks. Now that I've let it just be natural, at least I don't have the roots issue. But it's still pretty shaggy looking after 4 weeks.

So many cute embroidery projects. Those leaves look great but I can see why they took lots of time.

piecefulwendy said...

You'll be able to wear your hair up soon, maybe - LOL. I'm way overdue to get mine cut; I need to find a new salon, which I dislike. So glad your construction debacle is soon coming to an end, hopefully. Cute stitching project!

Julierose said...

Every 5-6 weeks for haircuts for me; my hair seems to grow faster as I age--is it trying to keep up with me? ;000
I like your 4 blocks--they are so pretty together...
Hoping the workmen come and finish up your project...
hugs, Julierose

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Well--I just ordered my threads--I only had a couple in my box--and when I went on their site I ones I needed where not in stock--so I remembered that another thread company I order from had Cosmo's and they had all the colors needed--their price is a bit less and they have fast shipping--so should be here by the end of next week--
I have not been getting any sewing done since the first of the year--I have been ill--guess it's pneumonia and they started me on meds yesterday--all I know is--I have 'no' energy!!!
hugs, di

Christine said...

Hair problems here too. My hair is coloured pink.... Really bright pink! Between my hairdresser being sick and me being out of sorts, my hair is slowly going white.
Better long hair than white hair.... Just saying....
Look forward to seeing the new stitching...

Susan said...

Maybe the resident engineer can cut it for you. Or, you can keep letting it grow until you have enough to donate to Wigs for Kids. Last year I donated 22 inches of hair.

Quilting Babcia said...

Hair - too short when its freshly cut, too long about halfway to the 5-week next appointment 🙃. Thinking about suffering through the pain of letting it grow long enough to tie it back or put it in some kind of bun.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Too bad about the hair cut but better to stay home and not tempt a visitation from the Germ Gods.
Cottontail turned out really cute! And a shortage on wax paper? Wow. On another shortage note, here it's proving nigh onto impossible to get good ol' Fishermen's Friend cough candies. I went to 3 stores yesterday and the shelves were empty. I did manage to track down a pack of lemon-flavoured ones but Resident Chef doesn't like those as well as the originals.

Emma's Daughter said...

Ah, hair problems. I get mine cut every 5 weeks. The older and grayer I get, the curlier my hair. I’ve even resorted to big curlers to straighten it. Hubby thinks it’s hilarious ~ curlers to straighten my hair. Love the picture of Smitty; he’s so handsome. And Sadie. She’s a beauty. I love all your embroidery projects,too. And speaking of shortages … I went into our liquor store today for wine, and the shelves were practically empty. I said, “boy, our town really drinks a lot!” (It is a college town.) The guy at the door said that they’re having trouble with their shipments. Who knew? Happy Friday the 13th!

Karen said...

Our shortages here are many! Mainly soda pop.! They say the Co2 is in shortage. When it started coming back, my body noticed a difference. They changed the formula... So now, it's probably more harmful to bodys. Anyone else drink soda and have to pee more now?

Kate said...

It's never fun when schedules get changed. Sounds like you still had a productive day. Happy stitching this weekend.

Lyndsey said...

I could seriously do with a haircut but there never seems to be an appointment available when I am. I hope your new appointment goes ahead on time. The floss for the inchies look pretty. I must see if I've got everything I'll need. I have a couple of bird houses to finish from last year before the start of February and this year I'm determined to keep up to date.