12/21/22

Welcome to Winter!

 


Happy shortest-day-of-the-year, my friends! We're looking at cold temps and sunshine today before a big winter storm blows all of us out of the frozen water. Looking at the forecast, it looks as if we'll miss the worst of it. Nevertheless, the storm has freezing rain in store for us, if the weatherman can be believed. I'm just hoping it doesn't put the kibosh on our family get-together Christmas Eve. I'm on tap to make two desserts in the next couple of days, and wouldn't it be just terrible if Mike and I had to eat all of it? Perish the thought. I'll say more about my desserts as I make them. Only one is from a new recipe, but I always make an old standby to serve as the emergency back-up dessert, if necessary. One must always be prepared for dessert emergencies, especially on Christmas Eve.

We barely survived our trip into town yesterday, and I'm glad we've put that behind us. It was getting pretty crazy at the grocery store with still several days left. I pity those who have to wait until Friday to do their shopping for the weekend. We also ended up going to one of those little postal outlets, rather than the regular post office. There, I found just one person ahead of me. Fortunately, picking up bird seed was no problem at all.

When we got home, we both needed naps, and then I went to work in the sewing room. First, I finished off the second of the barn blocks. This one wasn't difficult, but it had a lot of little fiddly pieces. I'd lost my patience for it the day before.


Here are the two blocks I have for this quilt so far. There will be 12 in all.


Then I remembered I needed to fix 6 of the Shop Hop blocks I'd sewn together wrong. I'm doing them two at a time. It wasn't too bad...it took about 15 minutes to do these two. Recall that I'd sewn the gray strips on the sides with the two different widths reversed. I'll do two more today and two tomorrow, and then I can forget that ever happened.


When those were finished, I turned my attention to the fourth section of the Purrfectly Pieced quilt. This is the section I'll be working on today.


Each section of the larger quilt can be made as a stand-alone wall hanging or doll quilt. This one is a little more involved than the ones I've done so far.


Section 4 includes some applique and some hand-stitching. The original quilt was created to be done in wool. I'm using scraps from my stash. Yesterday I did all the cutting, and now I'm ready to start sewing it together.


I'm approximating the fabrics used in the original quilt. One of the fabrics was to be white with polka dots. When I found that white with the black paw prints, I knew I'd chosen wisely.

I expect this will take me most of my sewing day. What I don't spend on the piecing, I'll spend on top-stitching the applique and hand-stitching the "Home Sweet Home" portion. With the cutting finished, I can just start having fun with the sewing.

It's a laundry day, and there is one other housekeeping chore. I've played all my word games this morning, and I'm ready for breakfast. I hope you enjoy your first day of Winter. Get ready for some cold weather. Stay safe and warm. If all else fails, I suggest Spanish Coffees.


It won't do much to warm your house, but it will warm your innards.

13 comments:

Barbara said...

One kind word can warm three winter months. ~ Japanese Proverb

Karen said...

God luck with your block 4. I have finished mine. It was a fun one to do. Couldn't find buttons to do the one "quilt", so made mine from Polly clay, baked them and presto.. Done!
Not looking forward to the looming storm. Hope our Christmas eve plans aren't cancelled either. In the meantime, I have plenty of 'just sit and church's projects.. Even if there is no power!.
Have a very nice holiday. Many hugs.

Karen said...

Church.. Meaning stitch. Sigh

Bridget said...

There are times when I wish I could stitch in church...lol it sorta helps me focus. Hoping the plans for Christmas Eve don't get blow away in the snow. If they do I hope God leaves the electricity on. The kittie quilt is going to be adorable. Just like the other cats on the ranch! ;)

Jenny said...

Snap - it is our Summer Solstice today here in New Zealand! But Summer is nowhere to be seen, its cold and rainy, and I had to pull the long trousers and warm socks out of the caravan closet. Hopefully it will be nice and sunny here on Christmas Day, but we have been having weird weather lately. I do like your latest cat series blocks, very nice indeed.

MissPat said...

I have a feeling a lot of Christmas Eve plans will be "blown" away. We're on the opposite side of the country from you and we expect high winds and cold and snow, but how much of the last is unknown.
Pat

Astrid said...

I hope the weather man is wrong so that the winter storm doesn't mess with your Christmas Eve plans. Summer Solstice here in Mauritius, days are getting hotter and more humid. UGH! Love your cat quilt, so cute! The coffee looks yummy. Beautiful barn blocks too.

Quilting Babcia said...

Ah, I'll take one of those Spanish coffees please! We're going to need it with the storm forecast for the weekend. We were expecting my son, DIL and their kids for Christmas eve and Christmas morning, but driving conditions look to be horrible. Hoping you don't get the ice we heard Portland is experiencing tonight. Merry Christmas!

Kate said...

Freezing rain and ice are my least favorite types of precipitation. Hopefully you don't get much of either. We woke up to snow and 1 F temperatures, with lots and lots of wind. Enjoy your stitching time and your holiday preparations. Looking forward to seeing part 4 of Perfectly Pieced coming together.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm still in my chair, trying to rev up my sewing mojo, and thinking another cup of coffee might be good. Or I could just have an early lunch and get to work. Anyway, I like the barn block, and the next Purrfectly Pieced block is a cute one!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'd join you in sipping one of those Spanish Coffees. Not that I've ever actually HAD one, but I'm pretty sure I'd like it. After all...coffee....
Had an involuntary awwwww-moment over the kittie sleeping on the quilts.

Karen said...

We had snow in Dallas this afternoon, luckily not sticking around too long. As soon as the presents are wrapped it’s time to play in the sewing room. I’ve been waiting all week!

SJSM said...

Our air is stagnant as a high pressure block keeps the rain away. No fires in the fireplace until after Christmas. We do Keoki coffee in winter. Warms those innards well. Two desserts will be made on the 23rd; cream cheese pound cake and carrot cake. No pies this time.

Daughter and SIL will be here for Christmas. Usually they see his family. Drama going on and mom said not to come.

We are finally coming out of the "common cold" that took a 2 week toll. Just starting to get Christmas rolling.