12/13/22

Next Steps

Top of the morning to you, my friends! My morning started early. I woke up early, and my brain went from zero to sixty within a few minutes. I was thinking about the next stages of my challenge project. There's no time for sleeping when my brain is wide awake. I tried to get back to sleep, but gave up after an hour. It's okay. I feel rested, and there will be some time for napping if I want to.

The morning started with the first stitches on Block 5 of the "Domestic Affairs" quilt. Right now, I'm cleaning up some bits of floss left over from the last time I worked on this piece. 


It shouldn't take long to finish it, and I'm already looking ahead at my next stitchery. It will be the "short" project on my dance card. When I let the random number generator choose from my list of short projects, it chose this one of Bernie Sanders. It was a PDF I found after Biden's inauguration. You might remember Bernie Sanders on the dais all bundled up from the cold, and wearing a mask. 


So while I'm stitching on the Domestic Affairs block, I'm looking ahead to my next short project. I have some background fabric, and I'm restocking my black floss. It should all be pulled together when I'm ready for stitching.

There were some housekeeping chores to do, but I made my way into the sewing room after lunch and went to work finishing up the collage portion of my challenge piece. Smitty was astonished that I would even start to work without him.


He likes to think of himself as my mews. He reminded me to blur what was on my lightbox. No peeking until I give you the peek.


Also, he thought there might be spirits in the room. Christmas spirits, maybe? 


After all, we did just stream Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol a few nights ago. It's still my favorite of the Christmas specials. I love the music.

There was just a little left to finish up at the bottom of the challenge piece. Here's your peek.


The most difficult part is finished now. I spent a little time choosing a background for it, and then I fused it to the background fabric. Today I will probably add borders, but then I'll give it a rest for a few days while I work on some other things. Thread painting comes next, and I need to circle it for a bit while I work up my courage.

With that finished, I couldn't wait to clean up my workspace so that I could square up the Chicken Feed quilt for binding. The binding strips were already cut.


And then it took about another hour to stitch the binding strips together and sew it onto the quilt.


Also, I laid out the fabrics I want to use as borders for the Tucson Tabby. These should do nicely.


Sewing on the borders is on today's agenda as well.

I was ready to quit for the day then, but not before clipping and starting the hand sewing on the Chicken Feed binding. When I stopped for the day, I'd rounded the first two corners.


While I was stitching, Sadie got a wild hair and started chasing Smitty around. Sometimes she can't resist kicking the beehive. In his wisdom, Smitty hid from her. She'll never spot him now. He's obviously a master of concealment.


So, I've pretty much given you the rundown of how my day is going to go. There will be lots of slow-stitching and some machine stitching too. It's still too dark to tell, but if the weather cooperates, I might get out for a walk today. 

13 comments:

Barbara said...

I love to get on the road, but I also think arriving is such a thrill. Turning up at the train station in Mumbai, for example, to see people hanging off all the wonderful old carriages. It's extraordinary - everyone sitting with their chickens on their laps, moving forward but not going anywhere fast. ~ Anouska Hempel

Sara said...

The laundry line is so charming! And I really had to laugh at Smitty hiding. Cats can be so funny. "If I can't see you, then you can't see me!"

Julierose said...

That Domestic block is really a cute one...nice work on it. smitty is such a master of concealment;)))
Hugs, Julierose

Marianne said...

I gave my brother some Bernie socks for Christmas last year - they look like the mittens. I also got my mom a Bernie garden gnome. Then my son gave me a Bernie bobblehead - he's sitting in a folding chair as usual. It's so fun to know that someone on the west coast enjoys our Senator!

piecefulwendy said...

Such fun projects - I like that little Tuscan tabbie, of course! I'm starting to feel a bit anxious about my challenge piece, so that will be worked on after I get the last Christmas project finished today. Hope you enjoy your sewing day! We have weather coming in, so I'm ready to hole up in my sewing room, too!

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my gosh I love your hand stitching projects... love love love!
You just have to stitch Bernie's mittens in bright colours!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm sure Bernie never thought he'd become such an instant rage, all because he was smart enough to admit that it was cold and dressed accordingly.
Chicken Feed is such a fun blast of colour during this dull time of year so I'm enjoying seeing your work on it.

Chris K. said...

I think your challenge piece is also Bernie! :-)

Marj said...

Thanks for the smile I really needed it!

Jenny said...

Clever Smitty, he does a great job of hiding from Sadie!

Anne Kirby said...

My mews!! Ahahahaha!! My cat has taken to hiding around the corner when he hears us coming upstairs. Then he peeks his head out at face level as I'm walking up the stairs. Hilarious!

Sandra W said...

Love the kitty tail.

SJSM said...

Kitty tails and Bernie mittens. That’s one way to keep amused with life. Enjoy your slow stitching and (hopefully) walk.