11/25/22

Turkey Report

Good day-after-Thanksgiving morning, my friends. I hope you're all recovering from your food comas. We had a nice dinner here. I didn't overeat, and enjoyed a reasonable plate of food with some of our family favorites. We had a small gathering. I don't have much to report since it was a busy day in the kitchen. Mae brought dessert, and Mike did the turkey on our Traeger grill. The turkey was especially good. It was brined, then given a spice rub, and basted with a 1:1 mixture of melted butter and triple sec. The skin was like candy, and the meat was moist. The only Thanksgiving-related picture I took was this one of our table after it was set:


Those plates are from a set that belonged to Mike's grandmother. These particular plates have a green rim (although it looks black in the picture). I almost never use them, but figured I put them out with the green tablecloth. The silverware was some I inherited from my great aunt. The wine glasses belonged to Mike's mother. She bought them when she visited us in Oregon many years ago. When she passed away, we found them in her California home, and brought them back to Oregon. So our table was an homage to our family, both living and deceased. This was one of just two pictures I took yesterday.

Before everything got started, I took the first stitches on the dreaded Calendula Patterdrip piece. I'm hoping this will be one of those stitcheries that ends up being easier than expected. Aside from not being able to see the pattern for tracing, I'm also dealing with stitching on almost the entire quilt top, which makes it heavy and awkward. 


So here's the thing about me and embroidery: I'm an unapologetic stabber, if that makes sense. I stretch my fabric tight in the hoop (and, yes, I prefer the heft and stability of a hoop), and then I push the needle in with my hand on top, and pull it through with my hand on the bottom. With smaller pieces, I pin back the excess to keep it out of my way. This quilt is simply too large for that, and so I'm spreading it out in my lap and keeping the least bulky part toward my body. Yesterday, I decided I needed to put on my big girl panties and do embroidery the way some folks consider "proper," by keeping my hand on top. It'll be slow going until I get used to it, but it'll probably make the job easier. 

I had one free hour yesterday when I could have done some sewing, but instead, I flopped into a chair and gave my aching feet a break. I'll get back to my sewing today. And today, there was a pretty red sunrise.


It was a beautiful day yesterday, but we're promised at least a week of rainfall. And you know the saying...red sky at morning, sailors take warning. So I'm considering myself warned this morning. It'll  be a good day to spend in the sewing room where it's warm and dry.

Also today, I'll put out all my Christmas quilts. We haven't put up a tree in several years, and we even donated all our Christmas tree ornaments and lights to Goodwill when we cleaned out the basement this past summer. I have Christmas quilts for pretty much every surface in the house, and I'll pick up a little pre-decorated tree from the grocery store along with a pretty red poinsettia. It's enough Christmas for this old codger and codgerette. I'll take some pictures and show you in tomorrow's post.

Until then...take it easy today. Have a turkey sandwich and enjoy this short lull between holidays. Also, get your ears ready for the deluge of Christmas music. It's already started here. 

9 comments:

Barbara said...

When people come to my act any time after Thanksgiving, I usually say, "You shouldn't be here. You should be shopping. Our economy depends on you! You should be out there buying stuff." ~ Lewis Black

Linda Garcia said...

I always wondered if you were a stab-stitcher because you could stitch a whole area before moving your hoop.
I wear a thimble and push with my right middle finger and use the left index finger underneath to direct the needle back through to the top. I have to have the hoop in the right place in order to be able to use the under hand in the right way. I could never stitch an entire section without ever moving the hoop. I am constantly moving the hoop. And yes, I need a hoop too. I have the have the right amount of tension on the fabric or it doesn't work right.
There is no "right" or "wrong" way to do embroidery. It depends on what you learned. And your stitcheries always look amazing. Do it how ever you want.
There are cross-stitchers who use silicone cord wraps to keep their fabric bunched up around the hoop. They have a magnet on each end so they stick together through the fabric.
https://smile.amazon.com/Smart-Cool-Reusable-Organizing-Colors-20Pack/dp/B07P1XS4PX/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2WAZGWXT4PCIR&keywords=cord%2Bwraps%2Bfor%2Bcharging%2Bcords&qid=1669408154&sprefix=cord%2Bwraps%2Caps%2C208&sr=8-4&th=1
Maybe this link will work. If not, google cord wraps and it should come up.

Jenny said...

How wonderful to have those family heirlooms gracing your dinner table. I'm a stabber too when quilting or douhg stitcheries, it certainly works for me too!

Jenny said...

PS, I meant to add, that yes, I use a hoop too.

Julierose said...

Lovely table for your feast;))
I am a stabber also...i find it easier on my hands...
good luck with Calendula...
hugs, julierose

piecefulwendy said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed a lovely day with your kids and good food. We don't have space in our small living room for a tree this year (due to hubs having his office in the LR temporarily), so we're going to put a tree out on the deck with lights and call it good. At least that's our thinking right now. Christmas music has started in my quilt room, no decorating yet. That will happen when I'm in the mood!

SJSM said...

When embroidering, I tend to be a stabber. I use a hoop, but am looking for a better one. The spring ones don’t hold the fabric tight enough. I’m considering what you have done regarding Christmas decor. There are multiple boxes in storage. We haven’t used all of it since our daughter moved out. Time to start winnowing it down. I think the Salvation Army will have a goodly amount of sales with all the trees I’ve put together with themes. If we can eject half of the decor, that will be a big start. Thanksgiving decor is down to one small box plus one I could not find. Getting the Christmas decor down may have it reappear.

QuiltGranma said...

Yes, this weekend I too changed out my Thanksgiving panel quilt from its place pinned to the window valance to a simple little tree quilt and a couple of little 4-patch and a red 9-patch quilt. They really brighten up the valance in the south window. When I open the blinds they cover the top part of the window so IF the sun comes out it won't be blinding me. I also have a larger Christmas panel quilt that I use on the couch, and hubby is using a falling leaves lap quilt.

Sandra W said...

Interesting that you are a stabber when doing embroidery. So is Anna Maria Horner. Some say it is more precise. I am not a stabber. I manipulate the fabric and needle. Stabbing takes a lot more time.