11/19/22

Sunny Saturday

Good morning, my friends. Some of you are probably digging out this morning. Oh my goodness! So much snow! There's no snow here, but it's been blustery and cold for the past several days. Not fit weather for cat nor beast. I spent most of my day in the kitchen. I had Grown-up Mac and Cheese on last night's menu...comfort food, for sure. It's a bit of a production to put together, but it will feed us for two nights this week, and then there's a bonus for some future RVing adventure. It sure tasted good for last night's dinner. I didn't take a picture of mine, but here's one to entice you:


And all of that to say that I didn't get much sewing done yesterday. I started my sewing day tracing out the next three blocks for the Shop Hop quilt. I'm starting to make these blocks three at a time, just to move them along.


For yesterday's slow stitching, I finished one...


and part of another.


I should have no problem finishing these off this morning, and then I'll be ready to make the next three Shop Hop blocks.

In the sewing room, I made the 7th block for the Vintage Linens quilt.


Here are the seven blocks I have so far:


Originally, I'd planned to make 12 blocks for this quilt. The blocks are 16-1/2 inches square, so they're fairly large. When I laid them out yesterday, I decided to make just nine. I have some cute ideas for how to set these blocks, and I'll be making cornerstones from some of my grandmother's smallest embroidery designs. If I make 12 blocks, I'm afraid the quilt is going to get as big as all outdoors. With nine blocks, sashings, cornerstones, and borders, nine blocks should get it to a nice size.

So it's an NBS day today. It's too cold to do most anything else. I'll finish up stitching the names and places for the Shop Hop quilt, and then hopefully finish those blocks today. Also, I want to make up the rest of the Books & Roses blocks so I'll have them ready for tomorrow's slow-stitching enjoyment. What's on your to-do list for Saturday?

7 comments:

Barbara said...

Thank goodness for the first snow. It was a reminder–no matter how old you became and how much you’d seen–things could still be new if you were willing to believe they still mattered. ~ Candace Bushnell.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I like your blocks - Nice vintage pattern! Yes at 16 1/2" it will be big with additions! Hugs

MissPat said...

We had 6" of heavy wet snow which is unusual because lake effect snows off Lake Erie don't often reach us. 70 miles to our west, Orchard Park, home to the Buffalo Bills, has 66" and counting. You can see why they moved the Sun day game to Detroit. The vintage linens quilt is going to be lovely.
Pat

Julierose said...

Very pretty Vintage Linens quilt...16.5" blocks will certainly give you a good sized piece...that mac n' cheese looks yummy stay warm--chilly here today--only 27 degrees when we got up this morning. hugs, Julierose

SJSM said...

Seeing your embroidery of the places you visited reminds me of your blog posts to those areas. Weird to see so much time fly by.

I finished the dress for my niece. I felt well enough to wash down the outdoor furniture cushions and the furniture. The next task was wash the patio sliding doors. I thought I was prepping for our rainy winter this week. Surprise! It will be 70* on thanksgiving! We will have the patio open for our guests to use. We may even have dessert outside.

Stella our black cat was diagnosed with diabetes. We learned how to give her injections. She gets them twice a day. It’s been less than one week and we are seeing a positive affect. She is more affectionate than she has ever been and looks so much happier. I feared her life was going to be nothing but terror with the prospect of being captured and held to get the shots. What a relief that she seems happier.

Kate said...

The mac and cheese looks yummy, what a great idea for cold and miserable weather. Looking forward to seeing both your shop hop and the Vintage Linens projects come together.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

mmmm - mac and cheese, yum.
I'm enjoying watching you use the pretty embroideries from your grandmother in your quilt. I'm sure she would be pleased to see that.
As for what I've been doing - yesterday (Saturday) I finished up putting together the advent 'calendar' gifts I'm doing for my friend. Just have to wrap the box and deliver it to her for opening on the 1st.