11/30/22

Bits and Pieces

The day was off-kilter yesterday. Our morning routines were shot when we had to round up Sadie and take her to the vet. (Sadie is doing fine, by the way. She did lose another tooth, however, poor little thing.) The only one who had a good morning was Smitty. He was just glad it wasn't him going to the vet.


I hadn't slept well the night before. When I returned home from the vet, Mike left to get a haircut, and I tried to nap then. No dice. And then, I tried napping again after lunch, and still...no dice. I'm not sure what had my brain going in overdrive, but you know...tis the season for having too much going on.

When napping clearly wasn't happening, I was determined to finish up the top-stitching on the second Whimsical Garden block.


Here are the two blocks I have for this quilt so far. Only 18 to go!


It was getting late in the day, but I decided to get to work on the template for my latest challenge quilt. I always start by writing which side is the "right" side with these. The template is used for placement, but it's also used for making the applique pieces. For the applique, it's turned face down to reverse the image, and so it's quick to tell whether I'm working from the right side when I simply add it to an open spot on the image.


I was able to finish drawing the template. How much detail to include is always the biggest question with these. This one has quite a bit. Here's a little peek:


My ironing board work surface is set up now with a teflon pressing sheet, and I'll get started on it today. I'll be working from big and little scraps, but I pulled some fabrics that could be backgrounds or backs. I won't use all of these, but I will use some of them.


It was nearing dinner time, and I hadn't yet done any slow stitching. I spent some time on that, and then laid it on the floor so I could see how it was going. Given the problems I've had with this last bit of embroidery, it's not looking too bad. I would like to have done a better job on the first crow's feet, but it's good enough. 


I've hooped the section to the right where the second and third crow are located. The tracing was a little easier there, and so those feet will be easier to stitch.

Dinners for the past several days have been designed to use up Thanksgiving leftovers. Last night, I used the last of the stuffing and sweet potatoes in this recipe for Portobello Mushrooms with Herbed Stuffing and Sweet Potatoes. Here's how they looked when I took them from the oven...not a great picture, but they tasted good.


Ordinarily, I would use four portobello mushrooms, but they were packaged in quantities of three, and they were big ones. One mushroom makes a meal. I decided three would get the job done. This is a recipe I adapted from one I saw online. I use leftover sweet potatoes, and so I don't bother with the first step. Here's how I do it:

Portobello Mushrooms with Herbed Stuffing and Sweet Potatoes
recipe from Barbara Stanbro
Serves 4

Ingredients:

1 Medium Sweet Potato (about 12 Oz.), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks (or Use 2 Cups Leftover Sweet Potatoes)
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
4 Portobello Mushrooms
4 Cups Leftover Stuffing from Turkey Dinner
1/2 Cup Vegetable or Chicken Stock or Wine
1 Large Egg, lightly beaten
Grated Parmesan Cheese

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Add the sweet potato chunks to a baking dish. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake until just fork tender, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven but maintain oven temperature. (Or skip this step and use leftover roasted sweet potatoes.)

Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Remove the stems from the mushrooms and carefully scrape the gills from the caps with a spoon or paring knife; discard. Place the mushroom caps on the baking sheet. Drizzle each lightly with olive oil. Roast the caps about 10 minutes. Maintaining oven temperature, remove from the oven and, using tongs, discard accumulated liquid, then return to the baking sheet.

While mushrooms are baking, gently stir in the leftover stuffing, vegetable stock, sweet potatoes and egg. Season with salt and pepper. Mound a portion of the stuffing mixture into each mushroom cap. Return the pan to the oven and bake 15 minutes more, until the stuffing is golden brown. Top with grated parmesan cheese, and serve immediately.

* * * * *

Tonight, I'll use up some of the turkey in some turkey noodle soup. Tomorrow, I'll use the last of the mashed potatoes to make cottage pies. Finally, I'll make some turkey pot pies, and that will be the last of it.

We're doing our grocery shopping today, and then I'll get started on my challenge piece. I can never work on those for very long before I need to walk away. When the "walking away" part happens, I'll walk to my mid-arm machine and get going on the quilting for Trashy Triangles.

Enjoy this last day of November, my friends. It won't come again for another year.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found. ~ Calvin Trillin

Karen said...

Sounds like quilt crumbs to me. Snort !

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm throwing in the proverbial towel and coming to the realization that I'm so far behind in commenting on your posts that it will take me ages to catch up (blame THAT day that's approaching altogether too fast). So...please pretend that I said all sorts of witty and complimentary things on the last few posts and I'll jump in here.
- so sorry about Sadie's loss of another tooth...special scritches for her from me please
- I think I'm going to really enjoy the evolution of the Whimsical Garden quilt, not only from the standpoint of the design but the wonderful bright colours as a counterpoint to the dull dismal winter outside
- we often cook Portobello mushrooms as a replacement for hamburgers but this recipe sounds interesting

Jenny said...

Stuffed portobello mushrooms, they look and dound delicious. December 1st here in New Zealand is also the first day of Summer here, yippee!

Julierose said...

Your quilting looks great!! I haven't been able to nap either since the holiday...too much going on--a lot of input, I think--my "monkey mind" keeps hopping around too much. I have been sorting and sewing scrap strings...that calms me down perfectly!! Hugs, Julierose

piecefulwendy said...

I know that busy brain stuff that happens - not fun. I have a quilt project to finish over the weekend, and then I need to start my challenge quilt. Of course, it looks great in my head. Ha!

SJSM said...

I love the Calvin Trillin quote. Reminds me of the fruitcake joke where there is only one fruitcake but it gets gifted over and over.