10/31/22

Today's the Day!

Yes, "Today's the Day!" That was the text we received from the carpet installers this morning. Yay!!! It's a terrible day for doing that sort of thing. We're heading into the wettest day so far this fall as an "atmospheric river" passes overhead. (I totally love that term.) The rain should taper off this evening, but I'm afraid any trick-or-treaters are going to get wet. And, hey! Happy Halloween! Here's a picture of two of my favorite trick-or-treaters of all time.


When I'm dead and gone, if they remember nothing else about me, I hope they remember those great Halloween costumes I made for them. Regarding that photo in the upper right: it was the project that taught me never to sew with fake fur ever, ever again for the rest of my life, so help me gawd.

Okay, but let's come back here to the 21st century and yesterday's stitching. It was all slow all the time. I took the first stitches on March's Joyful Journey block.


When I stitched the green leaves in February's block, I used satin stitch.


This time I read the instructions and I'm using a fishbone stitch. It's going to be slow going with so many leaves.

There were a couple of housekeeping chores to do, but then I settled into my favorite chair for bindings, and stitched about halfway around the quilt. I've turned two corners.


Isn't that a pretty batik backing fabric? I got a swatch of that in a layer cake package once. I liked it so much, I went in search of some yardage. Then it sat in my stash for years. I'm glad finally to have a quilt where I can use it.

There was no kitty help yesterday. They were upstairs with Mike watching Jay Leno's Garage. 


Since we can't use the basement, all TV watching takes place in the upstairs bedroom for the time being. Also, please ignore all the basement crap sitting around the room. I'm so terribly hopeful that this will all be gone by week's end, and we can resume living our lives using all the rooms of our house, and not tripping over stacks of stuff.

As for today, it'll be much like yesterday...slow stitching. Mike will offer occasional monitoring of the carpet installation. It's going to happen. I'm certain of it. Hopefully, I didn't just jinx the whole project with my confident and optimistic attitude. 

8 comments:

Barbara said...

When the spooks have a midnight jamboree
They break it up with fiendish glee
The ghosts are bad but the one that's cursed
Is the headless horseman; he's the worst.
That's right, he's a fright on Halloween night!
When he goes a joggin' 'cross the land
Holding his noggin in his hand.
Demons take one look and groan
And they hit the road to parts unknown
Beware, take care he rides alone!

~ From "The Headless Horseman," The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1949)

dgs said...

Happy Halloween. How fun that today is the big day and your carpet is getting installed. Yippee. You, Mike and Kitties definitely need to celebrate tonight!

Sara said...

Happy Halloween - and you definitely made some great costumes for your kids. Wish I lived closer to my grandkids to see their costumes in person. But my girls are good about sending me pictures. Good luck with that carpet installation today. Hope it happens!

Anne Kirby said...

Oh my gosh, fake fur!! That reminds me of the time my 5 year old HAD to be a hamster for Halloween...yes, I made a hamster costume but don't ask me how!! Fake fur IS the worst! What we do for our kids lol.

Sue said...

Oh my goodness- I made that exact crayon costume for my youngest daughter! One of many- there was the clown, the butterfly, Laura Ingalls Wilder, and the cheerleader!

SJSM said...

Halloween was dry. Not as many kids as pre-Covid lockdown. I’m guessing other forms of celebration has taken the place of going door to door. We had about 15. That is way down. Trunk or Treat and smaller parties seem to be the way kids are celebrating. We do have a couple of streets known for feeding hot dogs and other meal type items who seem to be getting more action. They are on Holly Street and advertise as "Holly-ween".

That batik is perfect for the quilt. Keep us posted on getting your sewing room put back together. Fingers crossed!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Awww - such cute kids! I'm with you in hating to work with fur fabric but I've done it more than once and have learned that once you cut out pieces, take 'em outside and shake the daylights out of them. Cuts down on at least SOME of the infuriating fluffies. Sez I, who needs to make a teddy bear for youngest grandie and is procrastinating..

piecefulwendy said...

Looks like the kitties are happy hanging out with Mike. Wilbs is sleeping on our bed as I type - his favorite spot, next to my lap. Cute photos of past Halloweens!