10/22/22

Approaching Normal

It's been a busy couple of days since we arrived home. Since I last wrote, I've washed 12 loads of laundry, transformed 20 lbs. of apples into applesauce and apple pie filling, and finished the last blocks for the Stitchin' Wisdom quilt. Of course, I couldn't have done any of this without the hard work of my feline friends. We're all exhausted. Smitty is happy to be back to napping in his kitty tree next to the living room window.


Sadie prefers the  privacy of her little house on the catio.


Until the catio door opens, and then she's shot from guns. There's hunting to do.


But first...kisses.


There were two more small blocks to finish for the Stitchin' Wisdom quilt. This one:


And this one. Both needed their Sticky Fabri-Solvy rinsed out.


When they were rinsed and pressed, I put all four of the small blocks together.


And that's a wrap. Now all the blocks are ready to be sewn into a quilt top. Here they are all together. 


Sorry about the wrinkles. I don't have my ironing board or iron...only the travel version, and they need more heating oomph than that.

And, as you might guess, that generated a stitching emergency. While I was processing apples, I spent some time tracing out February's block for the Joyful Journey quilt.


It's a little hard to see in the image above, and so I'm showing you the pattern cover.


As we approached home on our final trek, we drove by Oregon Heritage Farms orchard. I was happy to see they were still open. Their farm store opens toward the end of August (after we left), and it closes for the season toward the end of October. Lucky me...they're still open at least through this weekend. I hurried on down on Wednesday and bought 20 pounds of Braeburns. They've now been transformed into 14 pints of applesauce. (We were down to our last jar, and so I did this just in a nick of time.)


And that seemed like enough applesauce to last us through the year. I turned the remaining 6 lbs. into apple pie filling...9 pints. I'd used my last jar, and so I'm happy to restock the pantry. One pint is perfect to make a Dutch Apple Pie for Two.


So...surprise, surprise! It's raining in Oregon! We've had some nice weather up until yesterday afternoon. It was good that the rain held off until all the unpacking was finished. Mike has been working hard getting the yard back in shape. It was beyond astonishing how the weeds took over in such a short period of time. The only weeding left to do now is the culinary herb garden. Also, I need to cut back the peonies. That will all have to wait until another rain break. Today, I'm setting up a temporary sewing room on our dining room table, and I am going to sew!!!! Hooray!!!! 

The time is running out to finish my latest challenge piece, Boustrophedon. The reveal is November 1st. Here's the previous peek I gave you. What could it be?


Shortly after we arrived home, I went rifling through my sewing supplies...all housed in the garage right now...and picked out these fabrics to finish it off. I have another one too, but it's not included here. I don't know if all of these will be used. Before starting, I'll audition some of them and then figure out the final layout.


As for my other sewing, I'm woefully behind on my RSC blocks and on the Books and Roses blocks. There's no rush, but I hate being so far behind. I'm afraid there'll be no catching up until the basement is finished the things are put back in order. For now, I have plenty of quilts sandwiched for quilting, and so I'll focus on them. When the challenge piece is finished, I'll get to work on I Believe in Snowmen. It's been lounging on Eliza's table all the time we've been gone.


The kitties will be sad since they've been using it as a fort for the past couple of days.

Regarding the basement, we contacted the construction company a full week before we arrived home to give them fair warning we expected the work to continue upon our arrival. He...Brendon, who seems to be in charge...told us he'd call us on Wednesday (we arrived on Tuesday). Of course, he didn't call, and so Mike called him and left a voicemail message. They later called to say the painters would be here on Friday (yesterday). So by 11:00 a.m. the painters hadn't shown up. Mike called again, and they assured us the painters would be there "after lunch." They showed up at 2:45 p.m. Did they paint anything? Of course not. They'll be back on Monday. (Sigh.) 

Frustration aside, I do have faith the project is winding down. Assuming they follow through and paint on Monday, they'll need to move the furniture back out again, and then the carpet is scheduled to be laid on October 31st. After that, it'll be a matter of replacing the doors and baseboards and then moving the furniture back inside. I'm hopeful it will be finished before Thanksgiving, and as I write those words, it won't surprise me at all if we're still dealing with this in December. We're keeping our fingers crossed. 

Despite the rain and basement woes, it's going to be a good day. I'm looking forward to getting back to my sewing. Fortunately, I keep a sewing box packed with everything I need. Think of it as my sewing "go bag." I won't have to go picking through things in the garage in order to be up and running. I'll miss my iron and ironing board, but I have my travel iron to pick up the slack. Right now, I'm going to head for my slow-stitching and take the first stitches on the newest block. What's on your agenda for today?

13 comments:

Barbara said...

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well. ~ Alfred Adler

dgs said...

You always settle back in so quickly, but after all the loads of laundry and canning apples, I'm convinced you really have an abundance of energy, awesome organizational skills, and amazing drive. Can I hire you as my personal trainer?

Julierose said...

Wonderful to hear you are "back where you started from":to quote an old song's lyrics ["Back in Your Own Backyard"].
I am working on my Christmas Web an 8th of a block at a time...what fun! I am just using my Christmas stash and scraps and strings of like colors...I am so grateful to be able to sit and sew once again--little bits at a time.

We are waiting to have a propane generator installed...and waiting...and waiting! Sound familiar? They tell us that it's the Town Hall's permit issuer that's holding it up...uh-huh...Hoping to have it in before the snowstorms hit us...
All that applesauce and pie filling looks scrumptious!! Hugs julierose

Kate said...

So glad you've been able to get back to almost normal. The sewing room situation isn't fun, fingers crossed that they stay on schedule from now on.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Wow - talk about a flurry of activity! No resting up for you after your trip, that's for sure. We came home with half a bushel of ambrosia apples yesterday but plan on eating most of them as is. Also got a small bag of Spys which might end up in the freezer for future baking.

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful projects you are working on, and what beautiful jars of canning! Hope your painters come and finish the job! What a hassle to be calling all the time.

Deb said...

Wonderful projects you have going and canning too wow!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your embroidery is just beautiful, Barbara. I look forward to seeing the blocks pieced into a quilt. You have been so busy canning . You have me dreaming of an Apple Pie now. Lol. Have a great week.

Ivani said...

Lovely redwork. Your embroidery is perfec.
Have a great week and happy stitching.

Jenny said...

Your beautiful red blocks look so pretty together, these will make gorgeous quilt.

CathieJ said...

I am sorry that you have yet to get your basement finished and back in working order. It is annoying when the workers are lax about being prompt and reliable. The kitties look happy to be home. I love the first photo where Smitty is covering his eyes. Your embroidery is beautiful. You were very busy with your canning. I am impressed as I rarely attempt to can though I have all the supplies. At least you will be able to work on your quilting. I hope you have a great week.

Nancy said...

I would be tempted to tell the contractor not to come on Friday as that is the day the carpet will be laid. I would say something like I know this will make more work for your crew but we want to get the carpet and furniture back in place and out of the garage for winter. Your crew will just have to work around it and put down protective coverings on the carpet since they didn’t come when they were scheduled.

And there shows my passive aggressive side. You mess with me and I am going to make your life more difficult.

piecefulwendy said...

So good to see you all getting settled back in at home. I really need to get the quilting done on my challenge quilt - that's going to happen this weekend. Your stitching is lovely, as always!