9/2/22

Quilt Shop: Up North Quilt Shop; International Falls, Minnesota

We were ready for a day off yesterday when the Google whispered in my ear that there was a quilt shop nearby. Although we'd talked about putting off our grocery shopping until the next stop, the quilt shop beckoned. It seemed like a perfectly good day for grocery shopping *and* fabric shopping. 

First though, all of the bewhiskered people went back to bed while I was writing yesterday's blog post.


It took us a while to get ourselves up, around, and showered, but eventually we took off to drive the 25 miles or so into International Falls where we found...


Everything in this part of the world is populated by very tidy little houses. The quilt shop was in one of them, although it was a business, not a home. It was off by itself along the highway. Approaching the front door, it looked like this:


The doormat gave me a chuckle. Clearly, they know their customers.


Stepping inside, it was a split-level entry.


On the landing to my right was a treadle sewing machine.


To the left of that and down some stairs was a classroom.


Going up the stairs, a small room on the left held all their sale fabrics.


Stepping into the store and moving to the right-most corner, it looked like this:


Their Christmas display was to my left.


Ahead of me, shelves of beautiful fabrics. This wasn't a big store, but they had some beautiful and high-quality fabric bolts.


To my right were more fabrics. I liked all the light in this shop. It felt homey and it was easy to see everything.


Standing at the left-most corner and looking back, it looked like this. Can you see how they've hung quilts from the slanted ceiling areas?


At the right front corner, they had a nice supply of notions and patterns.


It was a quick in and out. I made my selection and then headed back to the truck. Of course, any self-respecting quilt shop in Minnesota is going to have a Minnesota Vikings quilt.


They had some pretty regional prints. I decided on this one. There wasn't much left on the bolt...2-1/4 yards...and I bought all of it. It will work for the regional fabric in my Shop Hop quilt, but I also thought it might make a pretty back for the Heartland Barns quilt. 


Back or borders...I'll just have to see how it all works out. There won't be enough for a whole back, but I'm sure I can piece it together with something else from my stash. It's a Timeless Treasures fabric, and it has the nicest silky feel to it.

Back at the RV, we found Sadie taking a sunbath on her catio.


Smitty was snoozed out on his window hammock.


Before we left, I'd finished Block #1 for the Stitchin' Wisdom quilt. I've washed and pressed it, and here it is. Ta-da!


Now I have the second block ready to go. 


Since I'm limited to slow-stitching while we're traveling, finishing this block will be September's


We relaxed the rest of the day. We got out for a walk as the sun was going down. There is a granite cliff across the RV park from where we're camped. We decided to take the road up to where that motorhome is to see if we could get a better view of the lake.


You can see our rig from up there. I've indicated where it is behind the tree with an arrow. That's our white truck parked out front.


I can't say the view was any better from up there, but it was different.


Walking back down the hill, we found this fire pit area. Can you see how the bricks are planted with culinary herbs? I like that idea.


We sat there in those Adirondack chairs until we got too hot sitting in the sun. After that we headed back to the RV.


We got Smitty out for a walk. He likes it here.


It has the best grass of anywhere we've been so far.

This morning we'll be heading over to the national park visitor center to board a boat for a tour of the park. I should have lots to tell you in tomorrow's post.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

We cannot see our reflection in running water. It is only in still water that we can see. ~ Zen Proverb.

Julierose said...

Looks like a lovely RV spot. I like your redwork Sewing Bird....
What nice shop--looks like it must be a big quilting population there...
Enjoy your stay hugs, Julierose

Kathy S. said...

That looks like a beautiful spot. I love how the cats have their own spots in the RV! The blocks by the firepit with the herbs in it are genius. I like that idea too. Have a lovely time stitching. Enjoy the view.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm glad Smitty feels safe and welcome in Minnesota, and enjoys the grass. That warms my heart. Thanks for the peek at the quilt shop - I haven't been to that one!

Jenny said...

Such pretty stitchery blocks, I really like them.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I always enjoy the quilt shop photos - the closest I seem to be able to come to actually being IN one. Love that regional fabric you chose too.

Sandy Panagos said...

I hate when fabric stores beckon me like that! LOL That is a really nice shop. What fun. That looks like the perfect OMG for traveling.