9/9/22

Free Day in Bayfield, Wisconsin

There was nothing on today's agenda, which gave us a nice day to do whatever we felt like doing. Smitty felt like a morning nap on his catio...


Until his leash and harness were offered up. Other campers who were leaving had already left, and new folks had not come in yet. The campground was fairly quiet, and so it seemed like a good time for a walk to him too. Here, he's showing you his best side.


He spent a little time choosing his weed.


Eventually, he selected a few blades and had a sampling of some delicious Whiskerconsin grass. As some of you have noticed, he's a regular Grass Gourmet. He's hoping he might get his own show on the Food Network.


His walk was short. When he was safely back inside and treats of valor had been dispensed, we took off to see a few things we were curious about in town. Just up the hill from us was Hauser's Apfelhaus Cidery. They had all sorts of canned good in their store, and we were interested in sampling some of their hard ciders.


Their barn/gift shop was very inviting. See the quilt block on the right side?


Looking off in the other direction, we could see Lake Superior and at least one of the Apostle Islands.


The upstairs "observation deck" was also open. After spending some time in their gift shop, we headed upstairs. Oh. My. Gosh. Look at this collection of hats. I have no explanation for this other than to marvel at their numbers. On one side of the barn...


On the opposite side of the barn...


Straight ahead...


And turning around, there were still more. We were most interested in the view from this window.


There, we had another view of Lake Superior.


We sampled some of their ciders, and by the time we left, we'd relieved them of a four pack of their Apple Pie Cider.


Outside, they had some beautiful flower gardens. Of course, I took pictures...



The echinacea made me homesick momentarily. When we left mid-August, mine were blooming.


They had some pretty colors of hollyhocks too.




As we left, I caught this picture of the apples on their trees. This area grows a lot of apples, and their apple festival will be the first week of October. Again, I'm missing the apples back home. I'd probably be making applesauce right about now.


After that, we headed off to the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Visitor Center. It's built from some of the same red granite we saw on our island tour.


This was an interesting sign...


Looking beyond the sign to the corner of their property was one of the community rain gardens.


Also, there was this map showing all the islands in the national park. We sailed past each one yesterday with the exception of tiny gull island on the right-side of the map below.


On yet another map, I was interested in this particular island. Our boat captain/narrator told us the island was named for its shape. However, better aerial photographs show it's not shaped anything like a cat. There are campgrounds on many of the islands, although two of them have been designated as "preserves" because of rare flowers and other critters that are protected.


There was an operating fresnel lens inside the visitor center. I was able to capture it just as the light flashed.


Here's another photo closer up so you can get a good look at it.


On our way back outside, I noticed this white board with the Ojibwemowin word of the week. I like this idea.


From there, we drove into Bayfield. It took us quite a while to find a place to park, and then we just walked around a little bit. I wanted to visit some of the gift shops. Along the way, I took pictures of every blooming thing. This next one is kind of a puzzler. I don't know if those big pods are flower buds or a fruit resulting from the bloom. They were fuzzy, and large...maybe about the size of a large jalapeno pepper.


People were tending the flowers as we walked along, and the gardens were beautiful.


Here's another one of these not-a-hibiscus flowers. This one looks like peppermint candy.


These petunias were such a dark purple, they were nearly black.


None of the things in the gift shops appealed to me much, but I did like this sign. There was a woofie version as well.


The only thing I couldn't resist was some fudge.


We got a half pound of this one...vanilla layers around caramel and pecans. Mmm, mmm, mmm. It tastes so good, it could possibly be deadly.


We had several hours to just sit outside yesterday afternoon. I'm glad we did because a thunder storm moved in last night. As I'm finishing this off this morning, our power has gone out all over the park. Oh well. Fortunately, I have enough battery power on my computer to finish off my post. While we were outside, I worked on my slow stitching. I filled my hoop and then moved to the next position.


Then there was just a little bit left to stitch to finish it off.


Finishing it off was my goal for September's


and so I'll link up there at the end of the month. 

Now, I have the next one ready to go, and I'll probably start on it today or tomorrow.


Okay, and so this is our last morning in Wisconsin. We're ready to hit the road and head toward Michigan. We've been paying day use fees in all the state parks we've visited. Michigan requires this "recreation passport," and I purchased ours before leaving home. Now it's firmly affixed to our windshield for the duration. We're visiting a lot of state parks in Michigan.


We want to get an early start today because we're hoping to catch one of the ferries at the Copper Harbor Lighthouse. We have about 200 miles to drive, and then we'll unhitch quickly and head for the lighthouse. We have just one night there. If necessary, we could try again tomorrow morning, but we'll still have around a 175-mile drive to our next destination in Munising, Michigan. This is the one place where I wish I'd given us an extra night. When I planned the trip, I didn't know we'd have to take a boat to see the lighthouse. Oh well. The best laid plans...

So off we go. I'm hoping we'll have internet where we're headed. If so, I'll see you on the other side. If not...I'll see you when I see you.

13 comments:

Barbara said...

By the time of the Civil War, there were many kinds of apples growing across the United States, but most of them didn't taste very good, and as a rule, people didn't eat them. Cider was cheaper to make than beer, and many settlers believed fermented drinks were safer than water. Everyone drank hard cider. ~ John Seabrook

Lee said...

What a lovely trip! Enjoy and welcome to MI! My family is from the UP ( Upper Peninsula)

Terri said...

Oh, I love, love, LOVE Michigan! And you are going to some of the prettiest parts of it! Can't wait to see your pictures! Oh, and it's apple season in Michigan. I usually drive into Michigan from Indiana and get apples every fall, but not this year. If you get a chance to try a Michigan apple, let me know what you think. They are my favorites!

Vickie said...

The “mystery plant” is milkweed. Those are the seed pods. It has a sweet smelling flower that provides food for a large assortment of bees in the early spring. Throughout the summer and into the fall it’s one of a very limited family of plants that are the only food source for monarch butterflies and it’s where they lay all of their eggs.

Marianne said...

After I saw that not-a-hibiscus plant all over Wis. and Mich. on vacation this summer, I ordered a bulb from Michigan Bulb Co. I don't know if it will live in Vermont, but it's worth a try. They are so amazing!

I;m enjoying your vacation, BTW!

piecefulwendy said...

I was going to answer your mystery plant, but I see Vickie did so. Throughout the Dakotas, Minnesota and WI, you'll find them in road ditches as well as on prairie hikes. So many hats!! Now I know where to send all of them that seem to end up here - heh heh. Looking forward to your Michigan adventures!

Sherrill said...

Looks like a great trip so far! I've always wanted to get to Painted Rocks (?) in Michigan but not yet. Can you tell me the kind of leash you use for the kitties? I've been wanting to get Tink a little leash but haven't found one that I like yet. Thanks!

Sara said...

What a fabulous view from that apple orchard farm. I can only imagine living somewhere that beautiful. That cider sounds so yummy! I really enjoy sampling the local foods when we have traveled. Apple products, maple syrup, etc. Can't wait to see Michigan with you.

Julierose said...

What delish looking fudge!! Such lovely flower pictures you captured.
Glad you are enjoying your travels hugs, Julierose

Jenny said...

I love the shape of the barn shop, it looks wonderful. And what about the inside, all those caps! My hubby would be in heaven, he likes to buy caps when we travel, but how to chose amongst this lot!

Darlene S said...

Sounds like an absolutely wonderful day. I'm amazed all those hats in that barn shop. Did you buy any?

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I was excited because for once I knew what one of your mystery plants is but happily so did a few other people. Here in Ontario is was classed as a 'noxious weed' and the full campaign was on to eradicate as much as they could. Then, come to find out, it's the only food that the monarchs eat so now they're leaving it alone. Too late smart as is often the case.
Those petunias are incredible - don't think I've ever seen that particular colour before.
And the glass lens is so detailed...beautiful!

quiltzyx said...

Another beautiful day with the Stanbros! Many fabulous photos, as usual.
I loved the shots of the Fresnel lens. Glass fascinates me. Checked on amazon to see if they sold them - and they do! But they are not the same type. The ones on amazon seem to all be used as magnifying glasses, and are flat-ish, rectangular or round.