7/8/22

A Little Bit of Sewing

It was a lazy morning yesterday. We had breakfast, and then Mike left early to go help with a big recycling project that involved the use of his flatbed trailer. After he left, I spent some time on my slow-stitching. I had every intention of doing a workout, but then got lazy and took a nap instead...exercising my lazy bones, you might say. 

Having a pedicure appointment scheduled smack in the middle of the day meant there wasn't much accomplished. It was nearing 3:00 p.m. by the time I made my way into the sewing room. There, I found Smitty tapping his kitty paw impatiently. Cats have very busy schedules. Sorry to keep you waiting, sir. 


If you read yesterday's post, then you might recall I had the pieces laid out for these "flowers," and that was where I started.


There were three full ones and a partial to sew together. Check.


Then I made two more that might be thought of as "buds," or maybe they're profiles of flowers. I'm not really sure.


And then I was ready to sew together the background for this piece. It was a bit of a puzzle but easy enough.


And then, I just needed to fuse the applique. Now my piece is ready for top-stitching.


There's less on today's agenda, and so I should have plenty of time to finish this off. I need to get out and do some watering today, and there is one small housekeeping chore. If there's more time for sewing today, I'll move on to my "Quilter's Choice" project, which happens to be in the "Fun Finish" category. Fun finishes are quilts that I think can be finished in one go-round. In this case, I'll finish the top, and then put it on the "Small Quilts for Quilting" pile. 

When I finished the Blackwork Baskets piece, I went looking for whatever other patterns the designer, J. Michelle Watts, had done. I still have lots of those pretty southwest fabrics in my stash, and I was looking for a way to use them. When I saw this little wall-hanging, I knew I needed to make it. This is her "Best Friends" pattern


So that's next on the list. I should be able to get started on it today. It's looking like a pretty low-key day. I had in mind to start something new in the slow cooker, but I might put that off until tomorrow. Pizza is sounding pretty good to me right now.

What's on tap for your Friday?

9 comments:

Barbara said...

In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed. ~ Khalil Gibran

Julierose said...

Wowsers!! That was a quickie--really cute kitty project there;)))
We are watching Formula One racing today.. in the AC as it has gotten very humid already!! hugs, Julierose

piecefulwendy said...

We are heading to Door County for cherry pickin'. Not much sewing here in the next day or two!

Chris K. said...

Okay, this is driving me nuts. With your three full blocks and one partial, you have 15 flying geese. Yet after they are sewn together, there are 16 flying geese. Where did the 16th one come from?

Ruth L. said...

Pizza is a Friday night ritual for us so.... Until then I've got some blogs to read and a few pineapple blocks to finish from a sewing-with-a-friend session last week. She has a bunch of Moda sample packs in various colors (as opposed to fabric lines) so she's getting something like six 6" blocks from each pack. Access to buy those packs is a little bennie of living near Moda. Other than that I'm staying cool in the A/C since we have another excessive heat warning today and probably into next week. Also, our garden gets watered every day.

gpc said...

The wall hanging will be beautiful, love that pattern.

Quilting Babcia said...

I love that Best Friends pattern, may need to invest in that one and a few FQs of southwest inspired fabrics. Have a great weekend.

Christine said...

Friday was washing day for me. Since I rehomed the chickens, I have reclaimed my garden and.... Washing line!! Must admit I did spend some time just looking at all that washing blowing in the wind! lol
Great quilts again. Don't understand where the partial flower fits in.....

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Those flowers (the pieced ones!) look stunning with the bright colours.
I'm sure Smitty has kept his thoughts to himself over the fact that the cat isn't a portrait of him.