6/7/22

Sunny Skies

It's a pretty sunrise this morning. The Three Cats Ranch is above the clouds this morning. It always makes us feel pretty smug when the sun is shining here, and the valley is still enveloped in fog.


When I went downstairs after writing yesterday's post, I found Smitty snoozed out on Mike's lap. The cat knows how to get comfortable.


It was time for me to take the first stitches on the cat and cactus. I'm calling this piece Tucson Tabby since I picked up the free pattern at a quilt shop in Tucson. I spent a little more time on it yesterday afternoon, and it's nearly half finished already.


A couple of days ago, I switched out my spring table runners for ones that celebrate the Fourth of July. Smitty thought it purrudent to test this one for comfort...on the table...which is prohibited. When it comes to Table Prohibition, Smitty is a scofflaw. And, if you think about it, being a scofflaw goes with the territory when you're a cat.


While I was out filling the bird feeders, I noticed one of the upper patio poppies had bloomed. I was kind of surprised to see this since it took so long to form any buds. We're expecting sunny weather for the next couple of days, and so I'll be watching the peonies for any signs of flowerage. (I thought I might have made up that word, but it is an actual word...made up by someone else.)


Smitty was all rested up and ready for a morning of hunting. He's caught three squirrels so far this spring, and he's just getting started. Patience and persistence pay off.


By afternoon, I'd worked up enough courage to start the thread painting on my challenge piece. After several hours, I had it to final quilting stage. The thread painting is done just through the quilt top and the batting. Today I'll add the back and lightly quilt the remainder. I'm hoping to have it to binding stage by day's end. 

The thread painting gave me some angst. It's similar to free motion quilting in that you can see everything you think you've done wrong as you're doing it. It's a good idea to walk away and come back with fresh eyes. When I was finished, I showed it to Mike. I worried I'd ruined it, but Mike said no. He tends to be my toughest critic, so I trust him to tell the truth. I've visited it a couple of times since finishing up yesterday afternoon, and I'm making peace with it. Here's your peek.


Here's a little peek at the thread painting. This is only the third time I've done this technique. I'm learning that longer lines are probably best. On the other hand, shorter lines make the fur look more furry. It's hard to know what to do in some places. As I look at this, I can see a few little places that need trimming.


Smitty has been helping me write this post. He was looking over our summer trip itinerary, and grew tired just looking at the sight-seeing we're going to do. While it seems a long way off still, the time to leave will be on us before we know it.


This morning I'll spend some more time with my Tucson Tabby, and then I'll head outside to pull some weeds. It's good weed-pulling weather. We'd cleared the place of weeds earlier in the spring, but with so much rain, they've come back with a vengeance. I should have no problem filling my bucket today.

11 comments:

Barbara said...

In planes, I used to try to look behind the clouds to see if I saw an angel. ~ Kerry Kennedy

Sara said...

Our big tuxedo cat Sammy (gone 2 years now) used to lay on the kitchen table every morning while my husband ate his cereal and read the paper. As soon as Dave pushed the bowl away that cat would get up, lick the bottom of the bowl, and then go get his morning petting from the master. He never got up on that table at other times of day or if anyone else was sitting there.

Julierose said...

That Cat and Cactus is really a cute one...you do find the most adorable stitcheries on your journeys...don't get too tired out weeding...;)))
hugs, Julierose

Shirley said...

As always I love reading your blog, and the view you have is amazing. Have you ever tried using a zigzag stitch while threadpainting freehand, so the way you free motion quilt in straight lines, but now you have the machine set up in a zigzag stitch. Just try on a scrap piece, I think it will also make a niche fur texture. And using two different colors of thread through the same needle also looks nice.

Twin Violet said...

The eye looks like a half eagle's eye!my grandmother grew poppys. I Have always loved and brown peonies. Have a great day. Violet

piecefulwendy said...

Tucson Tabby is a cute little number. Way to go, Smitty, on hunting those squirrels! I'm liking what I see on the challenge quilt!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

All these little teasers have me so anxious to see the finished project! That eye is amazing and I'm so glad you put the 'light' in it. Thread painting is on my list to try and then I wuss out when it comes right down to it. Funny, I have no problem stitching by hand but the machine is a whole 'nother thing.

Sherrill said...

Ooo, that first pic above the clouds is so pretty; what elevation are you? Love the name you gave the cat stitchery..Tucson Tabby!! What do the cats do with the squirrels they catch? That stitching on your mystery piece is SO pretty!!

Kate said...

Smitty must have the best kitty life. He doesn't seem to be all the perturbed to be where he's not supposed to be. Looking forward to seeing your full challenge piece. The "eyeful" that you gave looks really good.

Beth in NH said...

I enjoy the views you are giving us of your challenge. People would pay a lot of money for them. As they are so "mod". 😉

Vicki W said...

That photo is SPECTACULAR!

You know, the one of Smitty napping.