6/10/22

Slow News Day

My post is late today. Despite writing it early this morning, it seems I got distracted by a quotation about cherry vinegar, and completely forgot to hit "publish." Duh. Better late than never, right?

We had grocery shopping to do yesterday morning, and didn't get home until after lunch time. The only good thing about grocery shopping yesterday was finding both cherries and apricots at the same time. That means only one thing, here at the Three Cats Ranch: Apricot-Cherry Upside-down Mini Cakes. If you've been reading a long time, then this should come as no surprise to you. It's my annual must-make dessert when I can find the necessary fruit. We had some lunch, and then I went straight to work baking them.


The recipe was first published in Cooking Light in June, 2004, and I've been making them every year since. It's a dessert for two times two. We had them last night with a dollop (or maybe two dollops) of Redi-Whip. So tasty.

Here's an experiment I've run several times. I think the result has finally sunk in. Every time I do any sort of free motion work, whether it's quilting or thread-painting, it gives me a case of tendonitis in my left wrist. That was the case yesterday, having done both thread-painting and free motion quilting the day before. My left wrist was killing me. It only hurt with movement, but it hurt enough that I put a splint on my wrist to immobilize it. It feels much better this morning. Generally, I can cure the problem by immobilizing it for a day. So that meant no quilting for me yesterday. Instead, I put in quite a bit of time on the Tucson Tabby stitchery. I have it this far now, and so I should easily finish up the stitching this morning.


I won't sew it into a quilt top right away, but I have some fun fabrics to use when I get to it. And with that so close to finishing, I'll have to trace out the next block for Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage today. Otherwise, I'm going to end up in Stitching 911 by tomorrow morning...in other words, the dreaded stitching emergency. Of course, we can't let that happen. 

The rain returned with a vengeance yesterday, and it rained hard most of the night. This peeved Mr. Smithers. He really wanted to get outside and kill something. Instead, he tried out different backgrounds and surfaces for his Sexiest Cat Alive pose. 


We're still working on perfecting the exact purrsitioning of the hind legs. Left leg on top? Right leg on top? Together or apart? So many things to consider. Also...what to do with the tail? Out straight? Curved in a "S" for "Smitty" shape? Curled around his feet? There are many variations on this theme. No decisions have been made. We might have to consult with the photographers from Cosmeowpolitan magazine before we can make our final choice.

Today I'm getting a badly-needed pedicure. My nail technician was sick when my appointment came around a couple of weeks ago. She had something else going on, and then tested positive for COVID to boot. Also, our window washer guy notified us he had tested positive after he'd been here to do our windows. Fortunately, neither of us had very much contact with him, and none closer than about ten feet. Most of the time we spent talking with him was outdoors. It's been nine days since our exposure, and neither of us has shown any symptoms. I'll hold my comments until two weeks have passed, but I'm hoping we dodged the bullet. We're both fully vaccinated and twice boosted.

As I mentioned, I'll be tracing out the next block for Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage. When that's finished, I'm hoping to get started on quilting the Garden Sunshine quilt. It'll depend on how my wrist is feeling as I go about my day. There might even be a couple of housekeeping chores in the mix, but no hurry on that. We're expecting a wet weekend. It'll be good sewing weather.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

When I was a teeny little girl, I was in dancing school, and I sang. We had to put a dance to a song, so I went to the 10-cent store one day and looked at all the sheet music. It was all laid out, and I picked "Life Is Just a Bowl of Cherries." ~ Doris Day

Betty said...

Smitty looks good any way he poses! Hope you've dodged the Covid bullet.

Quilting Babcia said...

Trusting that you and Mike have dodged covid once again. Its not fun and can ruin a perfectly good summer. I've resorted to wearing wrist braces every night while sleeping. They do seem to help with the arthritis or tendinitis. I do have to limit free motion quilting time though. Those desserts look wonderfully satisfying! Tucson Tabby is going to make a cute miniquilt. The cactus stitching has a lot of dimension to it. Looks like a fun project.

Sara said...

The cake sound and looks scrumptious! My pedicure tech has just come back from maternity leave and is booked solid. So I have made an appointment with one of her coworkers in about 10 days.

Julierose said...

Good news that your tests ran negative!! Hope your tendonitis continues to clear up--that can be very debilitating...

Those little cake-lettes look scrumptious!!

I am having a few resting days as I've had a flare-up of symptoms --guess i did a bit too much too soon;(( So, catching up on my reading...
hugs Julierose

piecefulwendy said...

I need to keep that recipe in mind after our cherry run in July. Smitty is looking pretty awesome in that pose. Tucson Tabby is such a fun piece!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Cherries and apricots together - I never would have thought of that. One of the joys of summer is cherries so I'm looking forward to the season here.
Hope you continue to test negative!